Taking Moderator off centre fire every time?

Foxwit

Hi

Just starting out in the world of centre fire in the firm if browning a bolt .223. I've been told that the gasses and moisture caught in the mod can result in corrosion in the crown and barrel and that you should remove and clean mod after every outing and not store the gun with mod on. However I'm concerned by continuously taking the mod on and off will throw it off zero. What the general concensus leave it on or take it off???

Here's a couple of pics of a rifle was was taken in to my local rfd to be sold, said he'd taken the mod off to give it a clean but he hadn't had it off for a year or so. It's on a 22-250 CZ used regularly, so yeah I'd definitely take the mod off. I do on ALL my rifles!!!

post-58114-0-46913900-1396130812_thumb.jpg

post-58114-0-21240200-1396130824_thumb.jpg

post-58114-0-54257700-1396130997_thumb.jpg

post-58114-0-09816800-1396131015_thumb.jpg

Edited by walt1980

I bought a 222 with some damage from not taking the mod off (shoots ok) will be re barrelling it anyway at some point 20 tactical takes my fancy.

I have found that I have to be consistent with how I tighten the mod or it does alter POI but not much.

I take the moderator off before the rifle goes in the gun bag and store separately.

would be interesting to put a bore scope down that 22 250

I do it by feel I found that if I put the mod on in the same way, as in stand rifle on its butt thread mod on slowly. rushing over tightens it that winding it on to the same feel each time works.

I do a lot of mechanical repairs and find I'm fairly consistent when tightening bolts to torque, I think it's just down to repetition. You'd be surprised how consistent you can be.

I use the P8 on all my centrefires, they are easy to strip/clean and that's what happens after every outing, rifle gets cleaned as well.

Mod is then screwed back on barrel, rifle put in slip and into cabinet muzzle/moderator DOWN.

Rifle is then always ready to use, protected, and years down the line the crown on all my rifles is as good as they day I got them!

Never been any issue with zero either. :good:

I don't. Stainless barrel though.

you think stainless doesnt rust?

drop Callum Ferguson an email and ask him how many mods he has cut off stainless barrels and how many have wrecked crowns due to mods being left on and the corrosive solution eating them away

take it off. there is some nasty stuff inside a CF mod after a few rounds

you think stainless doesnt rust?

drop Callum Ferguson an email and ask him how many mods he has cut off stainless barrels and how many have wrecked crowns due to mods being left on and the corrosive solution eating them away

take it off. there is some nasty stuff inside a CF mod after a few rounds

Correct in the case of the grades used

I bought my first centrefire Tikka M595 .223 early last year.

Excited by the purchase, and the stunning wood I bought it, unable to test fire and with a lack of knowledge on my part. Travelled quite a distance too to collect. Noticed it was a bit rough at the end of the barrel, but fella assured me it was fine.

Got it home, tried to zero and it was doing dinner plate groups, 3-4" at best. Took it to my smiths, bore scoped. Crown and 2-3" in was toast, totally knackered. The cause of this, storing the rifle with the mod on. ***

Had to fork out for a rebarrel, at just under £500 for a Bergara.

Moral of the story, before putting it away, take the mod off and give it a pull through at least, depending on how soon your next shot will be. Yes your POI will shift on a clean barrel against a fouling round, but well worth it.

Jonathan

Stainless rusts dependant on grade.. i work in the water industry, it puts things through there paces.

Also I'm quite shocked no one has mentioned the fact your putting a mild steel mod on a stainless barrel.. where there's another reaction of dissimilar metals.

Stainless rusts dependant on grade.. i work in the water industry, it puts things through there paces.

Also I'm quite shocked no one has mentioned the fact your putting a mild steel mod on a stainless barrel.. where there's another reaction of dissimilar metals.

Yep, mates mod' (T8 I think) has corroded the screw cut on his stainless Sako 75. Not to the extent it needs re-threading but it's getting there.

The reaction only occurs dry, the thread should be greased lightly alleviating any such issue and thread wear