Cartridges for pigeon

Surely if your using eley hawk you already know if they are ok , the general consensus is they are a decent cartridge.

Truth is there is unlikely to be a cartridge in any brand you can buy from 28g 7.5 to 32g 6 not will not be perfectly capable of killing pigeon if you can put the shot in the right place.

Never been in favour of the smaller shot sizes - lack of energy at longer ranges and excessive pellet strikes at the shorter end. For your mid range price, Rottweil Special 12F 6.5s are worth a look. Top end? Express Supreme Game 1oz 6.5 but.............see previous posts.

To come to that conclusion, it makes me wonder how much pigeon shooting you've actually done.

Hello guys I know this is a same old question but what is the best cartridge at the moment for pigeon?

Going from top quality to mid range.

At the moment I am using eley hawks as sold to me by the dealer but are they ok or was it to get a sale?

Should you be interested, there is a half decent thread specifically on shot sizes for decoying pigeon. Search, 'shot size poll' on 'forums' and you'll find it.

Some members may be surprised at what they read!

Hello guys I know this is a same old question but what is the best cartridge at the moment for pigeon?

Going from top quality to mid range.

At the moment I am using eley hawks as sold to me by the dealer but are they ok or was it to get a sale?

There is no " at the moment " I use the 28 gm fibre 7.5 by Eley, I used to use 32 gm Sipe in 6's!

My returns are better with the Eley for a few reasons, I developed my decoying over time which improved the bag, changed my chokes with pattern tests on the 7.5's and saved the Sipes for the game season.

Use what you like, but good field craft to get the birds at a range to suit you the gun and the round....

It is no good stuffing rounds in the gun and have big holes in a pattern sheet....You have the Eley's, so for a little time and a couple boxes of other types of rounds then you will see the result instead of guessing....

TEH

Everybody seems to be very quick to blame a cartridge for being poor or slow when in reality none of us can realy tell the differance between a couple of hundred feet per second I suspect a bit of bad form on a Saturday morning renders a cartridge to be useless without a bit of patterning and chrono work your ******* in the wind I quite enjoy patterning my homeloadeds for fowling I've patterned some pigeon loads aswell and price really doesn't come into it I'm afraid

Eddy I suspect you are a new pigeon shooter and as you can see from the above posts everyone has their own idea of a good shell and doubtless most are correct. I use what ever the farmers give me or what ever game shell is cheapest in the gun shop and they all kill . My personel choice would be 28 or 30 gr of number 6 in lead , but as for brand almost anything , but I do not like DGs. Look for a shell that suits your pocket and your gun. Some guns throw better patterns with a certan shot size and you are not going to find out without expermenting with your own gun. Recoil is worth considering too. You may fire a couple of hundred shells on a very good day and some shells can be very punchy and uncomfortable when fired in quanity. I would suggest you use a selection of shells until you find one you like.