Another afternoon on beans!

Wilts#Dave

Hi again everyone!

Another afternoons pigeon shooting on Saturday so thought another write up in order, as whilst we're getting a few I better make the most of it!

After last weeks modest bag on some newly acquired bean drilling, dad thought it worth checking again prior to the weekend in case the birds were still feeding on it, and to our delight there was still enough activity to warrant defrosting 2 pigeons for the magnet on Friday night.

05/04/2014

Another breezy day so that was the first bonus, and secondly the wind coming from the right way to be in our backs when we set up so onto the field for midday again where there were birds already on the field, albeit not in big numbers but I'm yet to see a proper 'blue' field this year where birds are pouring in and you get that feeling 100+ might be on the cards (annoyingly) !!

We'd already decided last weeks spot was still looking favourable so out went the magnet and time to sit and wait. Less than five minutes saw a pair of birds down, but the action was very slow for the first 2 hours really with us both thinking we may have pushed our luck thinking we were going to get into double figures even.

As 3 o clock came round though birds just seemed to appear and a steady flight right up until 4.30 brought us some good action, with a mixture of decoying and flighting pigeon to keep me on my toes.

Dad had let me do all the shooting once again (for which I can't say how grateful I am), fingers crossed he gets a good day midweek very soon when he goes out on his own as the last two visits for him have only produced a 1 and an 8 (very unlucky)!

There didn't seem to be anything like the number of pigeons around as last week but when I counted up to my surprise there was 37 in the sack so almost the same as the previous outing...result!

Still only modest bags I know, but all good practise for the next red hot opportunity which I keep wondering where will be.

Several of our permissions how now drilled their peas over the weekend so they will be the focus of our attention next, 2 fields of which I did a quick recce on the way home tonight to see a large flock on one and a handful on the other.....maybe they'll build up, and maybe we'll get there first (everyone and their dog will be looking on them though) haha!!! There's also a 'guide' that seems to appear every year for the peas/stubble with an army of foreigners to ruin at least one or two days we line up which is frustrating to say the least, but must happen to everyone at some point?!

Anyway, thanks again for reading :good:

Pigeons.jpeg

great read, and nice with the pic's................last time i saw a "blue" field was in the 70's as i was going into kings lynn from knights hill rounderbout it was on the right hand side at the bottom of the hill (proberly built on now) and it looked like a field of lavender in full bloom.....you could have walked from one side to the other stepping on birds and not touch the ground

so if you get a blue day you will shoot out -kick yourself -but never forget it..........

good read decent bag nothing wrong with it you will be surprised how the tally mounts up, 100+ is good but at the end of the year your smaller bags will total

more pigeons than the 100+ days and its a days sport atb keep at it

Once again, really chuffed to get the replies I am from you guys.....I've not got many friends that are 'shooters' so to speak so don't get to bore many people with the details of my main (and favourite) hobby! It's great to be able to share my experiences with fellow pigeon shooters and subsequently read about other peoples days/experiences/tips etc :)

good write up,fingers crossed your Dad nails a few soon... :good:

I hope he does to or I'll be forced to start sharing the shooting with him when we're out again haha, but our next day out I'm going to insist that he uses his gun as well! He always brings it but tends to just say 'there's not enough coming in for both of us, you carry on'. We've been shooting together for 20 years and he's never been selfish in the hide (even when I was getting a ####ing for missing too many), hopefully I'll have a son of my own one day and carry on the tradition!