Help needed on .22 or 17hmr

white flash

Ask for both would be my advice, then you'll have five years to get both if your needs dictate.

BUT:- bear in mind that many forces are really funny about using HMR for fox, and 22LR would be a definite no-no. If you definitely have permission to shoot foxes you could ask for a centre-fire in addition to your rimfires. I did and got it.

0-100 yards .22, 0- 100+ yards hmr. Upside of the .22 is its quiet with subs, quarter the cost to feed with ammo and doesn't need a fanatical cleaning regime. Downside is its slightly more prone to ricochet. But that seems to be ammo related. Hmr ammo is 4x times more, it is loud by comparison, needs mod off/cleaned every outing, Personal choice at the end of the day, but I'm lovin my .22 over the hmr at the moment :yes:

I see neither as fox rifles other than extreme special circumstances like in back gardens and 50 yards or less. If I was going out for a fox in the fields and had the choice of either of those and a 12 ga I have to say I should pick up the shotgun every time.

the .22 lr loaded with subsonic ammo and sound moderator is the best rabbit gun ever invented. Out to 50yards in hands with only a modicum of practice its highly effective, in more practiced hands it can reach out more than double that. Its very cheap to feed, very humane and incredibly quiet. there is nothing to not like in that. You can feed it reduced power rounds (not all shoot great but some do just fine depending on the gun in question) these range from 24 ft lb to around 40 ft lb. (the std sub gives around 100ft lb give or take). You can then step up through into High velocity and hyper velocity rounds giving upto 190 ft lb.

The HMR shoots flatter, I am afraid that's about it! Windage allowance is not much different from the .22 lr with subsonics at 100 yards and this is the limiting factor on live quarry. Although it produces around 50ft lb more than the most powerfull .22 lr ammo it lacks the terminal performance of the bigger bullet once it gets out to around 160 it frequently fails to expand correctly, still at short range it frequently lets go to easy and can make a right mess of a rabbit carcass or lead to wounding on larger quarry. Ammunition is pretty much Hobsons choice performance wise you get a 17 grain or 20grain full power round. Its noisy even with a moderator on and more than double the cost on ammo. Ammo BTW seems to be going backwards in quality from when I owned mine (its not a rifle I miss though it shot little bug hole groups on paper). On a good day (no wind etc) and a well rested stance with only a fair modicum of practice you should get out to 100yards with one, a good shot could add 60or so to that, though there are I might add people out there who shoot competently and humanely to 130 or so with the LR with std subsonic ammo

ricochet potential should be ignored on either of the above as far as risk go, there isn't a shot that is safe with one that isn't with the other.

Here is my suggestions

1. Get a .22 LR with moderator and scope and add a 12 ga magnum chambered shotgun for fox

2. Get a .22 LR as above and a small centre fire rifle like the .17 or .22 Hornet or a fireball moderate it well and hand load it for long range rabbits, crows and foxes

3. Just get a .22 LR learn to use it well and be very,very choosy about the foxes you shoot at as regards placement and range (the ,22 will kill anything in the UK with spot on placement at 50 yards) not that I recommend you try to prove that!. it will breeze through 3- 4" of hardwood at this range

Several problems here. First one is that this thread will be identical to all the other ones you've spent two days looking through. Secondly, rabbit and the occasional fox can be a contradiction in terms for the two calibres in question for the reasons already given. For rabbit, personal preference, pick whichever you fancy dependent upon what range you consider will be appropriate. Fox, define occasional - two a year for the sake of it, why bother - 2 a month for vermin control, then you need something more appropriate and Thunderbird has your answer. If a centrefire and a small rimfire is out of the question for you but you really want something for fox, albeit short range, then there is a third option which may or may not suit but which you haven't mentioned. Think 22WMR.

ive got both calibres mate,just put in for variation for .223,when i had my visit from feo on wednesday,(this week),i asked about .17hmr being conditioned for fox by northumbria,she said yes,they do recognise it as a suitable calibre for fox,i think its ok sub 100 yards,but thats why ive put in for .223 as most of my shooting will be past 100 yards,my mate put his variation in for same cal 223,last saturday and recieved it back yesterday,just waiting for mine now,so id say go for both,.22 and .17hmr....DAZ

ive got both calibres mate,just put in for variation for .223,when i had my visit from feo on wednesday,(this week),i asked about .17hmr being conditioned for fox by northumbria,she said yes,they do recognise it as a suitable calibre for fox,i think its ok sub 100 yards,but thats why ive put in for .223 as most of my shooting will be past 100 yards,my mate put his variation in for same cal 223,last saturday and recieved it back yesterday,just waiting for mine now,so id say go for both,.22 and .17hmr....DAZ

yet you wont have shot one with it yet obviously

I'm in a similar boat, in the near future I putting my FAC in.

I have been trying to decide .22 or .17 I have decided to go both. At this stage I cannot decide. As stated you have 5 years to obtain and try to see which suits.

As for foxes, I am considering a 22 wmr however I don't know a lot about them. This is an area I want to do a bit further research .

Get a .22lr it's perfectly legal to shoot fox with one despite what some forces recommend. just state vermin as the use rather than specifically asking for them to condition it for fox and keep it to below 50yrds.

Totally agree, so long as you keep to close range, either are perfectly adequate to dispatching a fox.

If your going for a dedicated foxing rifle I would defiantly go for a centrefire, but a rimfire at sensible ranges and good shot placement will drop a ginger no problems.

Cheers.

0-100 yards .22, 0- 100+ yards hmr. Upside of the .22 is its quiet with subs, quarter the cost to feed with ammo and doesn't need a fanatical cleaning regime. Downside is its slightly more prone to ricochet. But that seems to be ammo related. Hmr ammo is 4x times more, it is loud by comparison, needs mod off/cleaned every outing, Personal choice at the end of the day, but I'm lovin my .22 over the hmr at the moment :yes:

Not having a go, but why do you take mod off and clean every outing? I'm either a lucky so and so (or just plain lazy:-)) I only clean her when she loses accuracy (every couple hundred rounds)?? Horses for courses I suppose?

Cheers.

I started with a Sako Quad in HMR and as my sole rifle, absolutely loved it, and proved it devastating on rabbits comfortably out to 150 yds. Now I've added .243 a "quiet" rimfire was more appealing. So, I added a .22 LR barrel, which combined with subsonics, is superbly quiet and still deadly on rabbits up to 100yds (and with less meat damage). OK. I've lost 50 yds distance, but on my permissions that's less of an issue than the noise and so I doubt the HMR barrel will be used again for the foreseeable future. The beauty with the Sako Quad, is this flexibility (and can always add an extra .22 WMR barrel - a better foxing round up to 100yds, than HMR).

Not having a go, but why do you take mod off and clean every outing? I'm either a lucky so and so (or just plain lazy:-)) I only clean her when she loses accuracy (every couple hundred rounds)?? Horses for courses I suppose?

Cheers.

The hmr round is really dirty and the mod gets full of wet corrosive nasty stuff after only a few rounds. If left on an upright rifle, it will dribble down the bore. I strip and clean mine after each outing and then it goes back on. Strip you mod after your next outing.......you will be surprised :yes: