Air gun licencing- Scotland

Well looks like MacAskil has got his way. Just seen on the bbc news web page.

The bill to add air guns to a licence scheme is going before the Scottish parliament.

87% of people who took part in the consultation opposed the licence so it looks like the SNP`s idea of democracy has won over again.

I for one cant wait for September when either the SNP will have to eat humble pie or `president salmon` will be looking for a new job as when the elections come around we look to a newly elected Scottish Labour / Lib Dem or whatever government as IMO the SNP wont have a chance.

Dont know where they get the 500.000 air wepons figures from. With a trawl through the net I found some statistics on fire arms & shot gun ownership although I cannot confirm them

Fire arm certificates 71,860

Shot gun certificates 210,860

giving a rough ratio of 4.05 per 100 people.

On the assumption that at least half of the law abiding certificate holders own an air rifle or pistol as well if every one else has to register or purchase a licence / certificate its going to mean a lot of money going into the coffers and a lot of admin.

IMO its p***

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27420858

link above states 500,000 air "weapons" in Scotland? so 1 in 10 own a air weapon? really?

Well, I suspect many with air weapons own several :yes:

But still - this legislation is ludicrous - and I suspect that it is only the beginning of what will happen in Scotland, particularly if the shackles of the union are cast away.

a massive waste of time and money......will there be an amnesty/hand over period for those not willing or able to obtain certificate? How many currently held air guns held by folk who would not be granted a licence shall be handed in?..the existing laws are sufficient to deal with the likes of the drugged up pond life who shot the baby..With all that is happening in Scotland I'll be v surprised if this gets full debate/actually makes statute books....

No matter what the consultation exercise concuded, even if it was 99.9% against, the SNP were always going to try and force this through. It has become one of their key policies in an act of nothing other that blatant politicking on the back of a junkie being a knob with tragic consequences.

I personally think the law is to relaxed on air guns and yes I've owned lots

Webley victor

". Excel

Hw90 x2

Daystate

Air arms

BSA

Prob 20+

You get the point :)

The thing is after years of ft shooting I get sick of hearing about a cat or dog shot or a window thanks to some idiot who purchased a gun off the market with a tin of pellets .

Things need to get tighter

a massive waste of time and money......will there be an amnesty/hand over period for those not willing or able to obtain certificate? How many currently held air guns held by folk who would not be granted a licence shall be handed in?..the existing laws are sufficient to deal with the likes of the drugged up pond life who shot the baby..With all that is happening in Scotland I'll be v surprised if this gets full debate/actually makes statute books....

Rather than the amnesty I think the market will be flooded with air guns coming over the border. I fail to see why people can't get some form of compensation for loss of their guns.

I personally think the law is to relaxed on air guns and yes I've owned lots

Webley victor

". Excel

Hw90 x2

Daystate

Air arms

BSA

Prob 20+

You get the point :)

The thing is after years of ft shooting I get sick of hearing about a cat or dog shot or a window thanks to some idiot who purchased a gun off the market with a tin of pellets .

Things need to get tighter

Your opinion of course, but good to hear from someone envious of the position of lawful shooters this side of the border: I take it you'll be ok with us swapping houses then?

Not really that keen on living back in Staffs, but it'll be a step up from the total gun ban that is on the cards here...

AND

Not sure WHAT market stalls are selling airguns/tins of pellets - as they'd need to be an RFD now to do such things

Yes, there are idiots that misuse airguns.

Will the new laws suddenly result in said idiots IQ levels increasing to the point that they decide to devote their time to helping little old ladies across the road and being nice to kittens?

NOPE - more likely the lack of a low powered air pistol with which to impress their equally dim mates will instead mean more use of whatever else is at hand, which in most cases will be something a lot more lethal than a G10 or Gat

Your opinion of course, but good to hear from someone envious of the position of lawful shooters this side of the border: I take it you'll be ok with us swapping houses then?

Not really that keen on living back in Staffs, but it'll be a step up from the total gun ban that is on the cards here...

AND

Not sure WHAT market stalls are selling airguns/tins of pellets - as they'd need to be an RFD now to do such things

Yes, there are idiots that misuse airguns.

Will the new laws suddenly result in said idiots IQ levels increasing to the point that they decide to devote their time to helping little old ladies across the road and being nice to kittens?

NOPE - more likely the lack of a low powered air pistol with which to impress their equally dim mates will instead mean more use of whatever else is at hand, which in most cases will be something a lot more lethal than a G10 or Gat

Yeah I'm up for a swap as I like Scotland :)

They were selling crossbows and rifle on the market here and they didn't want ID at all or care where you used it .

I fail to see why people can't get some form of compensation for loss of their guns.

I don't think there will be any form of compensation as air rifles haven't been banned. The owner can still keep their air rifle, but will now be required to buy a license to do so if the proposal becomes law.

When high magazine (more than two) capacity shotguns were forced not only to be itemised on license but made S1 (good reason) following Hungerford, the owners were never offered compensation. They were given either the choice to license them or hand them in. As no shotguns were required to be itemised on license at that time (all the owner needed was a license and could then have 30 shotguns, or however many they chose, none of which were itemised on license) there were records of the numbers sold but no record of who actually owned them, just as is now the current case with air rifles. As a result many simply vanished, as some owners decided they were neither going to hand in their legally bought shotguns, or either pay (again) to license them.

They keep turning up now and then, which is how I came by mine :) I think the same will possibly happen with air rifles. An absolute nightmare to police and administer, which incidently, the police have also pointed out to ministers.

I don't think there will be any form of compensation as air rifles haven't been banned. The owner can still keep their air rifle, but will now be required to buy a license to do so if the proposal becomes law.

When high magazine (more than two) capacity shotguns were forced not only to be itemised on license but made S1 (good reason) following Hungerford, the owners were never offered compensation. They were given either the choice to license them or hand them in. As no shotguns were required to be itemised on license at that time (all the owner needed was a license and could then have 30 shotguns, or however many they chose, none of which were itemised on license) there were records of the numbers sold but no record of who actually owned them, just as is now the current case with air rifles. As a result many simply vanished, as some owners decided they were neither going to hand in their legally bought shotguns, or either pay (again) to license them.

They keep turning up now and then, which is how I came by mine :) I think the same will possibly happen with air rifles. An absolute nightmare to police and administer, which incidently, the police have also pointed out to ministers.

You must have a different idea of what "IF" means

There's ZERO chance of this law NOT going through...it IS going to happen...

The FUN part is, POLICE SCOTLAND will have to do all the admin & checks & permit issuing - ALL the fees are going to Holyrood.

How does THAT compare to the cries over the real costs of fees for SGC/FAC admin.??

If this does get passed will a shot gun certificate or fire arms certificate cover you or will you need a separate license for air guns?

THIS would be a logical idea - so probably has zero chances of happening

I'd heard a rumour that such a proposal HAD been suggested...we'll have to see IF it's accepted as a means of saving admin./costs

THIS would be a logical idea - so probably has zero chances of happening

I'd heard a rumour that such a proposal HAD been suggested...we'll have to see IF it's accepted as a means of saving admin./costs

It would make sense save on some cost and a lot of hassle.

If this does get passed will a shot gun certificate or fire arms certificate cover you or will you need a separate license for air guns?

Would as many have said make a lot of sence.... Hod on, no sence has been used todate, so sod all chance of that being the case.

Do they need to have gun cabinets to store them in?? Could be a good excuse to buy a bigger cabinet :)

Do they need to have gun cabinets to store them in?? Could be a good excuse to buy a bigger cabinet :)

mine are already in a couple of cabinets - as the law change stating that airguns must not be easily accessible by youngsters meant they got locked up (the airguns, not the youngsters)