wifes Card Cloned but HOW ?????

evo

wife received a txt today from the bank to ask if she had ordered some food from a burger/ kebab outlet, so rather than text back she decided to ring the bank,,

apparently someone has tried to order a takeaway £38 also a holiday worth £1080 as well as many other things but when they where asked for the security code on the back the person involved could not produce it,

the bank had refused these transactions and that is why they contacted the wife,

the bank has now cancelled her card and said the card must have been cloned re a hole in the wall outside a bank or any atm but the wife NEVER uses a hole in the wall,

they (the bank) are now going to inform the fraud squad/police and try and get to the bottom of it,,

luckily for us no money has been taken but they have tried approx. 16 times to fraudulently use the card on the internet but as yet with no success due to not having the security code/pin numbers

heres hopeing they gave a delivery address on the takeaway transaction and or the holiday,,

just hope the sly ******** get caught now

by the way as the bank has now informed us,,never use any outside atm,s

atb Evo

Any time you use a card it can be copied, even in a shop! Be warey of anyone telling you the machine won't work, and they will try the machine through the back! tell them it does not matter! Hold the transaction and go and get cash instead! This is the problem when you buy so much over the net too! Including takeaways. they ask for everything INC the security number!

Filling station staff seem a likely culprit if Leicester is anything to go by.

Following a spate of card skimming I only ever use Supermarket petrol stations if paying with a debit card. If I get caught short and have to use an independent which is staffed by people who look like they might have come from Leicester I pay by credit card. I never use a debit card over the internet. I have a credit card which is used solely for internet purchases. I don't use outside ATM's either. If I need cash I get it as cashback.

Edited by Gimlet

I got a call from my bank that someone was trying to use my card in Thailand to the tune of £900 but they knew it wasn't me as I'd used it in England a couple of hours before. They wouldn't say where they suspected it had been cloned, but they did hint at a certain petrol station.

Credit/Debit cards should never leave your sight. If a shop asks for you to hand your card over, this is against the terms of their agreement with the credit card processor and they could lose their credit card privileges. This is why at restaurants they bring those little portable terminals to process your payment. Also, contrary to what some believe, paying online with services like PayPal is much more secure than giving your details to a human on the phone.

Edited by aris

When I was living in India my India Bank card was cloned and used in the UK to withdraw money at an ATM. No idea how as I only ever used the card in India. They obviously had my PIN as well. The police (in the UK) were not interested. I believe their policy is that if you are reimbursed by the Bank (as you usually are) then they don't bother following up.

When I was living in India my India Bank card was cloned and used in the UK to withdraw money at an ATM. No idea how as I only ever used the card in India. They obviously had my PIN as well. The police (in the UK) were not interested. I believe their policy is that if you are reimbursed by the Bank (as you usually are) then they don't bother following up.

If you used it at an ATM they may well have used a skimmer. Basically they make a mould of the front of the card entry area and put a device which reads the magnetic strip. Then they hide a little camera pointed to the keypad so they can see what you are typing in.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/atm-skimmer/

They were caught out a few years ago at a McDonalds in watford which had an Independent cashpoint , they had put a false front on it and cloned a friend of mines card , she had a nightmare trying to get re-imbursed for her loss as did my Father in Law who was in his 80's and never used his card online or over the phone , its a lot more common than we realise and recently there was a scare involving some sites encryption techniques which led to millions of people's cc details worldwide being taken over a few years , its possible that they have all our card details on file and are working their way through them at this very moment

I went to a meeting with people from all over the country, everyone filled up at the station by the hotel and virtually everyone had their card skimmed - thinking back we all remember them swiping the card through two machines so one was obviously the real one and one a skimmer

On the other foot, going to Thailand on honeymoon and after being advised to tell my bank I was going we landed in Bangkok and the first cash machine ate my card and Natwest said they suspected it was being used fraudulently - even though I told them I was going!!

Never hand your card to anyone. They should never even touch it. That is why the Chip-and-Pin card terminals face the customer.

If you are paranoid, scratch off the 3 digit code off the back of your card (be sure to write it down somewhere safe), and if you are really paranoid - erase the mag strip from your card with a strong magnet. Skimmers rely on this to get information off the 3 tracks in the magsripe. ATM's and credit card machines use the chip. The only caveat here is if you travel to the US - where they don't use Chip-and-Pin (aka EMV).

Edited by aris

Never hand your card to anyone. They should never even touch it. That is why the Chip-and-Pin card terminals face the customer.

If you are paranoid, scratch off the 3 digit code off the back of your card (be sure to write it down somewhere safe), and if you are really paranoid - erase the mag strip from your card with a strong magnet. Skimmers rely on this to get information off the 3 tracks in the magsripe. ATM's and credit card machines use the chip. The only caveat here is if you travel to the US - where they don't use Chip-and-Pin (aka EMV).

Not true in every case, my card terminal needs the card putting in the thing then i have to enter the amount, i then hand the terminal to the customer who enters their pin, once the customer has done this and presses the green button, on screen it says hand the terminal to the merchant to complete the transaction, my reciept comes out first then the customers which i tear off and hand to them with their card.

Hi Bob lot of this happening :yes: My Farmer mate only uses his in petrol stations never uses it for anything else.

He had a call from the bank saying his card was used in the USA :lol: they contact him straight away as they knew he only used on petrol.

Makes you think how fraudsters pass on the details of cards so easy. atb Terry

Not true in every case, my card terminal needs the card putting in the thing then i have to enter the amount, i then hand the terminal to the customer who enters their pin, once the customer has done this and presses the green button, on screen it says hand the terminal to the merchant to complete the transaction, my reciept comes out first then the customers which i tear off and hand to them with their card.

Are you in a restaurant?

Yes, there are exceptions in various retail settings, but for the most part, they should not touch your card. This is why when you go to a petrol station, or supermarket, the card terminal is at the customer side, not the cashier side. In all settings, the card should not leave your sight.

Are you in a restaurant?

Yes, there are exceptions in various retail settings, but for the most part, they should not touch your card. This is why when you go to a petrol station, or supermarket, the card terminal is at the customer side, not the cashier side. In all settings, the card should not leave your sight.

Nail on the head.

My new card was cloned some where between the bank and me getting it. Had a call about a sale in a cafe at some New York hotel. I never had chance to use it so it must have been an inside job.

On another note my mate had a cheque cloned by a bank employee. They tried to take a few hundred pounds out of his account. Luckily it was spotted and I think the police got involved.

ditto for new york here.bank called to say someone tried to pay a bar bill in new york and the next day a hotel bill in michigan both declined as the bank is set up for clearence b4 use abroad .paranoid to some but it,s saved me a lot of hassle and money.if you ever go to burton theres a garage on derby road been in the papers twice,clones are us.cards being used in pakistan,nigeria and thailand.electronic money is as secure as an MP,S trouser,s

A few years ago I had a fraud on a credit card I'd used twice, once in a chip and pin machine at the train station and once online to buy some clothing from a cycling company. When I tried to use it a third time in a shop the machine referred me to my bank. Turned out £3000 worth of stuff had been charged to my account on all kinds of goods over the weekend.

So I Googled the online company and the word 'fraud' and there were a lot of people complaining of card fraud having used that company.

The debt was cleared by the bank but the cycling company were adamant there was no security issue on their side and that I must have a virus on my computer. This was total rubbish. As I worked at a major online retailer I knew that if internal security is weak, internal fraudsters within the retailer can gain access to credit card details and I'm still convinced that was the issue.

by the way as the bank has now informed us,,never use any outside atm,s

atb Evo

Has the bank shut down all of its exterior ATM machines? I bet not.... More likely cloned in a shop or if NFC enabled walking down the street....