Awsome day.

aga man

I decided to invite my shooting partner Tan to come and shoot a barley field today.

we have shot the field a few times now, mostly short sessions due to work and family commitments etc.

Each time we have visited the field the amount pigeons there has been amazing and we have always shot pigeons there.

I knew all along a good bag could be made here but the usual problems of barley shooting put me off.

Last saturday i ventured across to the other side of the field and found it very thin and patchy, and although the birds didn't want to feed there i was able to flight 40 birds and use the dog for retreives which was nice.

When i thought about it i could decoy the birds to this end but knew i would need a sw wind to make the situation work.

Today we had a good sw wind which meant we could set up on the far edge with birds landing head into wind in front of us.

we had to travel light and walked to our spot. I got there at 10am but tan couldn't get there till 11.30 and he was bringing the battery.

As i arrived and set up i put up two dead bird floaters and a couple on the ground. It was obvious from the off the birds would not commit properly and i felt movement in the pattern was needed.

When tan arrived i had only shot 4 pigeons and a crow. We set up a whirly and instantly the birds switched on but would flare at the edge of the pattern. We added a flapper but stil the birds would flare, which was akward as we wanted to drop them in a certain area. Eventually we brought the whirly closer the hide and bingo! they decoyed perfectley.

Although i chose not to take the dog today, the crop in front of us was very thin and after every 10 or so birds down picking was fairly easy.

The birds came perfectly for the rest of the day and we finished at 6pm with 136 picked.

Despite our very best efforts 14 birds were lost mostly the ones that fly on and drop dead 80yds away.

320 taken off this field now and still they come.

post-57269-0-07357900-1404506174_thumb.jpg

post-57269-0-70552300-1404506197_thumb.jpg

you lucky pair of **** :lol::lol: :lol:

the only perm I,ve got with barley on he doesn,t like me to shoot it once its over 6 inches tall

cracking bag there though, you both certainly had a good day

atb Evo

Thanks for the comments chaps. The part field was very thin but the rest of the crop is pretty good. From the other side of the field you can't even see this thin patch. definatley worth the walk.

Here's pic looking the other way.

post-57269-0-70835200-1404508012_thumb.jpg

Edited by aga man

I decided to invite my shooting partner Tan to come and shoot a barley field today.

we have shot the field a few times now, mostly short sessions due to work and family commitments etc.

Each time we have visited the field the amount pigeons there has been amazing and we have always shot pigeons there.

I knew all along a good bag could be made here but the usual problems of barley shooting put me off.

Last saturday i ventured across to the other side of the field and found it very thin and patchy, and although the birds didn't want to feed there i was able to flight 40 birds and use the dog for retreives which was nice.

When i thought about it i could decoy the birds to this end but knew i would need a sw wind to make the situation work.

Today we had a good sw wind which meant we could set up on the far edge with birds landing head into wind in front of us.

we had to travel light and walked to our spot. I got there at 10am but tan couldn't get there till 11.30 and he was bringing the battery.

As i arrived and set up i put up two dead bird floaters and a couple on the ground. It was obvious from the off the birds would not commit properly and i felt movement in the pattern was needed.

When tan arrived i had only shot 4 pigeons and a crow. We set up a whirly and instantly the birds switched on but would flare at the edge of the pattern. We added a flapper but stil the birds would flare, which was akward as we wanted to drop them in a certain area. Eventually we brought the whirly closer the hide and bingo! they decoyed perfectley.

Although i chose not to take the dog today, the crop in front of us was very thin and after every 10 or so birds down picking was fairly easy.

The birds came perfectly for the rest of the day and we finished at 6pm with 136 picked.

Despite our very best efforts 14 birds were lost mostly the ones that fly on and drop dead 80yds away.

320 taken off this field now and still they come.

nice bag bud as jdog said your having a good run on that field and just following your posts there is definatley more to come from it :good:

I think the same way as you as regards the rotary you need to persevere and not throw the towel in with it if its not working at first :yes:

Well done you seem to be having some good days on the pigeons. :good:

Thanks pb i think they call it 'making hay while the sun shines'

The pigeons seem to have appeared from nowhere, but we realise they can disapear just as quick. :good:

Well done aga man, your getting a nice lot of shooting off your barley fields now, ours are about a week away from being cut now... weather permitted.. and I am now finding more started to hit the wheat fields and leaving the barley alone, but like you say make hay while the sun shine as there not going to be about for ever.

By the way in the photo one of them was slightly out of line ???? ???? ??????

Oops yes sorry about that sir, i see the one you mean. I must pay more attention and improve my liner-upper skils :P:)

nice bag bud as jdog said your having a good run on that field and just following your posts there is definatley more to come from it :good:

I think you could be right there daz, i spoke to the farmer this afty, he went to spray off the field at 7pm last night, an hour after we packed up and guess what.. hundreds of pigeons feeding there :o