Milled oak

.philmypower.

Milled oak once seasoned is around £80 a cubic foot if it's good stuff, so each plank would be worth around £150, but I'm not expecting to make anything near that. Just didn't want to throw it in the log pile.

Looks absolutely fab great to see timber being saved from the fire

Great stuff thanks for sharing

All the best

Of

Glad you like it. I try not to post too much of my tree work, as I know it's a shooting forum. I was just really happy with the final product and wanted to share the pics.

Thanks

Thanks for all the comments guys.

To answer your questions mike, in the picture I'm using a 36" bar but the saw will run up to a 6ft bar. The saw is 125cc and has a selection of bars but it's allways best to use the smallest bar possible.

I sharpened the chain to begin, then gave each tooth a quick lick between planks, I also took the depth gauges down a little. To mill with this set up the chain is also different. It's what's called a ripping chain, all the teeth are different sizes and are sharpened at 10 degrees.

The first cut is the trickiest, after that your away. Each plank took around 3 minuets and boy are they heavy. There all 2" in diameter and 8ft long.

I work as a tree surgeon and have a log round in my spare time, I was sick of logging stunning bits of timber so bought a mill. I want some oak for my window ledges but will sell most of these planks as I have access to quite a bit of timber so ill mill some for myself when I need it. To be honest I'm not the guy to do this wood justice as my wood work skills are basic, but in the right hands these can be turned into something amazing.

Have some lovely cedar planks seasoning away and I'm milling 4 big lumps of beech next week, I'm hoping to find something special in the beech such as a bit of spalting & coloring.

Just gives me a good feeling looking at your work.

I would love some rough timber like that to make into a table, jointing the planks once cut and square edged.

Friend of mine buys trees and hires a saw like yours and stores the resultant wood for projects - leave it for about 3 years?

Excellent !