Watches?

kyska

I bought a newTag Heuer Carrera Calibre S 2 years ago for a great price with alligator skin wrist strap...The same model of watch is now £1k more expensive!

Not sure what the second hand value is but the prices new are increasing. I wanted to buy the wife the same brand for her 30th this year but the budget wont allow with the increased prices.

Why not show her how much you care, by selling your watch and buying her one.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyska you have good taste!

At the risk of being a real plank and shot down in flames I have a query for the more learned watch experts on here....about six years ago I wanted a daft cheap fashion watch (wrist bling) to wear out on the toon when I lived up in Newcastle, I randomly bought a fake Breitling whilst in Spain from one of those nice chaps on the beach....now I'm convinced it's a Cheapo fake and exactly what I paid for however it's still working perfectly now and a close friend who admits to being a watch geek is alternatively convinced that the movement is much better and possibly not fake....I'm hesitant to take it anywhere and appear like a right pillock, can I do anything myself to make sure it's an El Cheapo special??

All this talk of watches has had me search out a watch I bought back in 1977 when I was 16, it was the most expensive thing I had ever bought.

I have searched the internet but can find no information about it, if anyone can help It would be appreciated

Makers Name Lorea

Swiss made

25 jewels, automatic day / date (English + French)

Stainless steel case and strap

Water resistant 3 atm

Inca bloc

Luminous hour and minute hands

Serial number1559 LN

it still works perfectly even after all this time.

I have also just treated My Father to the Eco Drive Red arrows atomic watch he has been after for a few years, the look on his face when I presented it to him "PRICELESS"

Edited by wingnut

Iv got a casio eddifice cost me just over 200 and i like it looks smart feels smart, id love a brettling or such like but i simply cant afford it so my eddifice will do untill my numbers come in

It's not really in keeping with the direction this thread is going, but I am considering one of these "blinged up" watches. Would you recommend the Casio Edifice?

While not in the same league as the esteemed brands mentioned here, I really rate Casios and my rough- watch is an early pro-trek solar watch. As a result of this thread I googled the model number. I nearly fell over when I saw they are now selling for £300 new. I wish it wasn't my rough watch now! I paid less than a third of that.

Edited by Big Al

I've been thinking of getting a nice watch for myself.

Can somebody answer, this watch for example; http://www.austinkaye.co.uk/Omega-Gents-Vintage-Seamaster-Calendar-steel-autom-5681-p.aspx

Why is it so much cheaper than a modern second-hand (no pun intended) model? Will it go up in price over time? Or is it only the modern models that do? Does having paperwork missing on an old model like this matter?

Because its only got a 34mm watch face and its totally out of fashion...only a serious collector will by it at that price anyway...modern watch wearers want big...40mm face diameter or bigger.

Shame really because that omega would have a classic mechanical movement worth 100 times more than the modern mass produced quartz movements.

imagejpg1-1.jpg

This was my late fathers watch which was given to him and inscribed for a long service award back in 1987.

It's stopped working, and was wondering where would be the best place to return this to for reap air and servicing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

This brings back memories. My father was also given one around the same time identical to this one. He worked for Marley which became Payless DIY and lastly Focus. Sadly a scumball burgled mum in 1992, the year after he died.

It said "in recognition of 25 years of working together" on the back which i thought was really nice.

OK from one extreme to the other.

My (now) vintage Seiko, never taken to work on cars when I was younger hence the condition

P1020062_zpsdf0a3b44.jpg

And where I am now, 25th wedding anniversary present from the missus, actually mint condition despite being 53 years old

P1020067_zpseb430beb.jpg

Very nice. Both classics. You have good taste sir!

Edited by keg

That Seiko is a little under stated :lol:

Yeah, I actually laughed when I opened the box last night, I forgot how big and loud it was!

It was my 21st birthday present so I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

I really like the Omega though, despite being so plain it attracts a bit of attention.

Yeah, I actually laughed when I opened the box last night, I forgot how big and loud it was!

It was my 21st birthday present so I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

I really like the Omega though, despite being so plain it attracts a bit of attention.

It's that style of Omega i've been looking at, classic, refined and understated (with a bit of history).

I'm ringing a watch repairer today to see if they can get this Oris back up and running.

imagejpg1-1.jpg

This was my late fathers watch which was given to him and inscribed for a long service award back in 1987.

It's stopped working, and was wondering where would be the best place to return this to for reap air and servicing.

Thanks

I've got exactly the same watch - given to me by my parents on my 18th birthday.It means the world to me- I've worn it every day since and I'm now 39! Only thing i've had to have done was replace the winding crown about 8 years ago.

I would speak directly to Garrard - they do have a service dept, but a quartz movement shouldn't have just stopped working... May be a stupid question, but you have tried replacing the battery?

I'm now saving up for an Omega speedmaster professional as a 40th birthday present to myself - and that should then do me for as long as i'm around...!

I've got exactly the same watch - given to me by my parents on my 18th birthday.It means the world to me- I've worn it every day since and I'm now 39! Only thing i've had to have done was replace the winding crown about 8 years ago.

I would speak directly to Garrard - they do have a service dept, but a quartz movement shouldn't have just stopped working... May be a stupid question, but you have tried replacing the battery?

I'm now saving up for an Omega speedmaster professional as a 40th birthday present to myself - and that should then do me for as long as i'm around...!

Thats what I thought, I am now selling my Omega Seamaster and buying a Omega Ocean Planet. Mind you I have had my Seamaster for 4 years and I have hardly taken it off in that time. The new price of the watch now means I can get not far off what I paid for it selling secondhand, its worked out about £40.00 per year to own. If i had kept it another few years I expect it would sell it secondhand for the same or more than I paid.

imagejpg1-1.jpg

Thanks

I have a 1960's Garrard that belonged to my late Grandfather that I cherish, I went in and visted Garrard a number of years ago and gave them the watch for a full service and overhaul including having the face handpainted. It looks superb and works a treat, although it cost me far more than the watch will ever be worth, it now means it will be in a usable condition when I hand it over to my Son :-) Thats worth more than money!

To the original thread starter, I currently have Panerai, Breitling and Rolex. I didnt buy any of them becuase they were brand names, I bought each becuase I loved the particular watch. I was hoping you would come on and say you had bought a Panerai so you could let me know what you had gone for but I see you went down a different route. Good on you mate :-) you bought what you liked, I am sure it will bring many years of joy when wearing it :-) But be careful this watch business can get addictive lol.

Edited by m3vert

My late father was presented with a long-service watch about 1969. It was a Longines. From the word go it kept stopping. He wasn't much into possessions, my father, so he threw it into a drawer and forgot about it. I now have it; it's still unusable. I phoned a local watch technician. He wants £95 just to look at it. Is there anything I can do? I'd post a pic if I knew how :/ .

Thanks mk70!