How to stop Jury service ?

malkiserow

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My employer done the letter but they just put you back in and then you get called out later and they dont give up, a doctors letter stateing that you suffer from cramp and unable to sit in one place for long periods as you need to walk around ever 30 minutes might do the trick, or an over active bladder might do it.

When I was doing jury service one case was local and I knew a witness and a relative of the accused I was told to leave the court area as I was a infected juryer.

Edited by johnlewis

Plus the likelihood is they will take away your SGC/FAC

You will most likely do it close to where you live, it is quite likely you could know <of> or even recognise the defendant.

The first time I did it, I saw the family (minus the son who we put away) at the local swimming pool a week later.

It is part and parcel of the judicial system - live with it. If you lose financially or you didn't feel like going - so what.

Said I was stressed and had high blood pressure.

Get doctor to say you couldn't handle the stress of it job done.

As excuses go - poor, but a quick way to ensure you licence doesn't get renewed. :whistling::whistling: :whistling:

I have done it a few times and previously looked forward to doing my bit - first time around .... civic duty and all that.

However, those experiences (all on full pay) showed me what a stupid process it all was. The first time a number of women said "lets just agree (anything) as we need to pick the kids up"!!! Now I might say that as a joke but they meant it.

Second time was weeks in court, at the end of our deliberations we were all dismissed and the case started all over again as one jurer used her phone in the corridor...... when we all handed our phones in for locking up as we had to do every day, she had 2 and kept one back!!!!. What a staggering waste of time. I really don't think she discussed the case, it was something personal/family. She was either fined or threatened with it.

It was obvious the defendant was guilty as we could see it on CCTV but the system made it last around 2 weeks. :mad:

It is an experience everyone should do at least once.- a real eye opener and a newfound respect for the courts.

I've done it - but fortunately my employer paid up. It is for a minimum of two weeks unless you are dismissed early - but you could get unlucky and get a 6 week trial!

I thinks the system is set up badly in this day and age. For someone to lose their wage, pension, childcare vouchers etc (maybe loss of NI contribution for state pension) for the case duration is plain wrong. The Jurors deserve better and should not profit from it but also should not lose out.

I saw them once always wanted one of those flat white caps they used to wear.

are you perhaps getting tourettes confused with majorettes the latter often wear white hats and twirl batons whereas the former is an affliction where the participant is given to ticks and shouting swear words for no apparent reason, I think that I would make a better tourettes sufferer than a majorette

I thinks the system is set up badly in this day and age. For someone to lose their wage, pension, childcare vouchers etc (maybe loss of NI contribution for state pension) for the case duration is plain wrong. The Jurors deserve better and should not profit from it but also should not lose out.

Bet none of the Judges and Lawyers are on the same wage rates as the Jurors :whistling:

There again, you don't need a law degree and umpteen years experience to sit on a jury - that's the whole point of a jury, "a jury of my peers" i.e. ordinary people, the man on the Clapham omnibus.

Yes but if there's enough cash to pay their fantastic rates a few quid more to bring the jurors onside wouldn't go amiss. If folk weren't losing out they might be a bit keener to take part.

My wife was called for Jury Service, she wrote to the court and told them that her husband had been a Prison Officer for 30 years, her Dad for 32 years, her brother was a serving police officer and stated that given the facts given she would have a biased judgement. Received a letter return post, excusing her. Result.

Funny, isn't it. The law trusts you to be responsible, has entrusted you with firearms.

And yet here you are, trying to lie and cheat your way out of jury service - which should be regarded as the epitome of being an honest and upstanding citizen

An interesting look at the real level of honesty ?

Oh, by the way. If you claimed to have holiday booked for the dates, then the court can, in reply, ask you for proof that the holiday has been booked, and that it was booked before you got asked to do jury service.

Lying on your jury form is, I'm pretty certain, contempt of court.

Funny, isn't it. The law trusts you to be responsible, has entrusted you with firearms.

And yet here you are, trying to lie and cheat your way out of jury service - which should be regarded as the epitome of being an honest and upstanding citizen

An interesting look at the real level of honesty ?

Oh, by the way. If you claimed to have holiday booked for the dates, then the court can, in reply, ask you for proof that the holiday has been booked, and that it was booked before you got asked to do jury service.

Lying on your jury form is, I'm pretty certain, contempt of court.

:good:

I deferred my last stint due to holiday (genuine I should add) and was not asked to prove anything, but got called up once I got back.

If the system was improved to make it more efficient people wouldn't look for ways of dodging it.

I did 6 days last time and one of the jury totalled our hours in court, it was less than 10, and we got picked on day one.

All 12 and the other 12 in the waiting room, said given the option they would never do it again.

Hi

I did a turn civic duty its the system envied by a lot of the world

Could seriously do with some reform

Did all the selection everyone in place defendant changed his plea to guilty

Not needed any longer I dought his fine covered even a small amount of the costs

Not a perfect system but I think I would have it over many others

So if I'm selected again I'd go take the financial loss no good having a system and not being willing to do it

Only my view

All the best

Of