District Councillor makes shocking comments re. Gamedealers death

tomov

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see one review has been removed from Trip Advisor. The nomme de plume almost guaranteed that would happen.

Yesterday he got another:-

“Unfriendly and unclean”

1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

It's not often that I get the time to write a review but felt it was necessary with this B&B.

My wife and I actually found several pubic hairs on the allegedly 'clean' sheets on our bed and when we complained, the owner, a man called Tommy, simply came to our room and brushed them off with his hand!! He then asked if there was anything else we had a problem with before stomping off!

If you decide to stay here, make sure you pack a sleeping bag.

Stayed October 2014, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Location
1 of 5 stars Cleanliness
1 of 5 stars Service

Less

Ask Paul R about Ashfield House Luxury B&B

Latest review:-

“Worse than a Belgian Formula 1 Hotel”

1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This is probably the worst place I have had the misfortune of staying in. First of all the toilet hadn't been cleaned and there was mould on the side of the carpets. Going into bed it looked and smelt like it had already been slept in. Upon complaining to Mr. Woodward his excuse was that the B&B was undergoing renovation and this was the next room to be done up. No compensation was offered. This was topped off with the sound of drilling and hammering going on all through the night.

From reading the previous reviews it appears that this B&B has gone downhill recently. I have been told there are far more suitable places to stay in the area.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here, avoid this B&B like the plague.
See more room tips

Stayed November 2014, travelled solo
1 of 5 stars Sleep Quality
1 of 5 stars Cleanliness
1 of 5 stars Service

New article and him stating he will not resign

http://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/news/11672202.___I___ll_not_step_down_over_suicide_gun_comment____says_animal_rights_campaigner/

DISTRICT and town councillor has apologised for comments made about the suicide of a former soldier and gamekeeper, but has said he will not resign over the matter.

Tommy Woodward, an animal rights campaigner, posted on the Hunt Saboteurs Association Facebook page that the death of Alan Ellis, from Bacup in Lancashire, was the “best use of a gun I can think of”.

He went on to say: “I don’t think anyone thinks it’s a good thing. We would all rather live in a world where no one kills for fun. However, if you choose to own a gun and kill for pleasure, then it’s best to kill yourself.”

Mr Ellis, 50, a former Scot’s Guard, shot himself in August, after learning he was to be sued over a £40,000 debt.

Coun Woodward said he would not be resigning from his positions on Ryedale district and Pickering town councils.

“Regarding the question of an apology, I have already apologised to the widow, family and friends of Mr Ellis, because I certainly never intended to upset a grieving family,” he said. “Many readers will be unaware that my young brother was a serving Military Policeman when he was killed. One of his officers, the man who helped our family cope with the grief, committed suicide in Afghanistan.

“As a district councillor I moved an amendment to the Ryedale Plan to make it possible for ex-service personnel, returning to Ryedale, to qualify for affordable and local needs housing. It passed with unanimous support.

“So why did my comments alone from that site get brought to the attention of the national media? Was it because I have campaigned for animal rights for more than 25 years? Joining demonstrations against vivisection, live exports, shooting and hunting and in that time I have never been arrested or questioned by the police.”

Coun Woodward said he was attacked earlier this year while monitoring a local hunt. He said: “In the past couple of months I have gathered evidence that has led to two ongoing police investigations against one local hunt.

“Finally, I must once again underline that I deeply regret if I have added to the grief and sorrow of the widow, family and friends of Mr Ellis.”

Councillor Linda Cowling, leader of the district council, said the council had received complaints about the comments and there would be an investigation.

She said: “The problem for the council is that it was done in a private capacity and not as a councillor. But it raises the question of whether someone with such strongly-held views is suitable to be a councillor when they put their beliefs before decision-making,” she said. There’s very little other than the ballot box that can remove him from his role as councillor. But I do not condone anything he has done – it must be terrible for Mr Ellis’ family.”

Richard Ali, chief executive of the British Assocation for Shooting and Conservation, said: “Mocking the suicide of anyone is absolutely unacceptable and stating that lawful gun owners should ‘kill themselves’ is despicable behaviour. This man is not fit to hold a public office.

“We know from past actions that animal rights extremists will stop at nothing in their hatred of anyone involved in lawful shooting activities. These Facebook comments show their true colours.”

Edited by Peskyfoxs

I wonder where it will all end.

Aside from Trip Advisor, there are holidaywatchdog.com reviews.

If I was thinking of staying in Pickering and read the reviews - I might tend to write some reviews off as malicious - but would wonder what had prompted members to post the reviews.

However they are viewed, I wouldn't stop there. :no::no::no:

The Leader of the Council made sensible comments. :good::good: :good:

Edited by Gordon R

I think that the trip advisor posts are a bit daft really, certainly they are an attempted poke in the eye for Woodward, but they serve no benefit.

Far better that energies were devoted to engaging this guy in a reasonable and public debate and highlighting his polarised view of the world that way.

The trip advisors posts are disappearing anyway, how do we engage a man who thinks I should put a gun to my head and kill myself, who seems to take joy in any articles where a human who hunts is injured ?

I have emailed the council but doubt they will do anything and according to their website an email complaint isn't a formal complaint. If you are unhappy with the response via email then you can escalate to a formal complaint.

The trip advisors posts are disappearing anyway, how do we engage a man who thinks I should put a gun to my head and kill myself, who seems to take joy in any articles where a human who hunts is injured ?

Perhaps just write to him at his council address and ask him if he would be prepared to engage in a debate, maybe try and solicit the services of the local media and use them as a conduit, write to his political party or the leader of of the council and try to use them as a lever to see if we can encourage a discussion that way as he represents them by association.

It is plain from his response in the Gazette & Herald he is not afraid to air his opinion so he may relish the opportunity.

Edit to add: I wonder if the Jeremy Vine show would be interested in picking this up as a debate on his show, it has all the right ingredients. An arrogant councillor, ex military, polarised opinions of pro/anti shooting, a ridiculously insensitive social media comment. It sounds perfect for the show to be honest.

Edited by grrclark

Perhaps just write to him at his council address and ask him if he would be prepared to engage in a debate, maybe try and solicit the services of the local media and use them as a conduit, write to his political party or the leader of of the council and try to use them as a lever to see if we can encourage a discussion that way as he represents them by association.

It is plain from his response in the Gazette & Herald he is not afraid to air his opinion so he may relish the opportunity.

Edit to add: I wonder if the Jeremy Vine show would be interested in picking this up as a debate on his show, it has all the right ingredients. An arrogant councillor, ex military, polarised opinions of pro/anti shooting, a ridiculously insensitive social media comment. It sounds perfect for the show to be honest.

Personally I have contacted his local paper and the reporter I emailed has since written an article, national press, his party (no reply) the council (default standard reply of we will get back to you). If everyone is doing this then it puts pressure on him but he is pretty much saying he has done nothing wrong and because he hasn't been arrested in 25 years of running round hating people its ok !

Can you imagine if an anti died and your local councillor said the same thing ! There would be death threats, balaclava clad people protesting outside his house and workplace no doubt. Perhaps we should arrange a rally with placards through his village and camp outside his b and b peacefully demonstrating for a while till his business goes bust? The anti's probably wouldn't think twice before doing that, but then we all have jobs to go to and can't spare the time sitting in a Yurt eating Tofu and not washing for a month.

Edited by Peskyfoxs

I would say Peskyfoxs that you have absolutely focussed your energies in the right way and more power to your elbow for doing so.

I think that is a much better option than writing nonsense in trip advisor, even if it does feel good for a wee minute or two.

I wonder what his views are on immigration?

I would imagine his views are very liberal, just like the party he represents. I don't expect that he would fit in well with a lot of our off topic discussions !!

I would say Peskyfoxs that you have absolutely focussed your energies in the right way and more power to your elbow for doing so.

I think that is a much better option than writing nonsense in trip advisor, even if it does feel good for a wee minute or two.

I take it you don't fancy bringing your tamborine for renditions of Kum Ba Yah outside his house then ?

Did anyone think about your email addresses leaking from the council?

Hah ! If that happens, then I can guarantee it won't just be Tommy Pickering who'll be on the hook.

I for one used a brand new email for that : if anything at all comes at it 'anti', then there will only be one place that it could have come from. In which case, there'll be hell to pay.

I take it you don't fancy bringing your tamborine for renditions of Kum Ba Yah outside his house then ?

Well observed. If I believed that it would do any good then I would, but it wouldn't and I don't like tofu.

If a group of anti's pitched their yurt on my front lawn I would take them out a nice hot plate of beef burgers cooked rare so they were still nice and bloody.

I think these type of protests only work when people are intimidated by them and I suspect Cllr Woodward wouldn't be. In fact I suspect that he would just use it a fuel for his own cause.

Well observed. If I believed that it would do any good then I would, but it wouldn't and I don't like tofu.

If a group of anti's pitched their yurt on my front lawn I would take them out a nice hot plate of beef burgers cooked rare so they were still nice and bloody.

I think these type of protests only work when people are intimidated by them and I suspect Cllr Woodward wouldn't be. In fact I suspect that he would just use it a fuel for his own cause.

Totally agree :)