District Councillor makes shocking comments re. Gamedealers death

tomov

I've received a full response from the council this morning and they have passed a censure motion against him. I'm not sure of the legalities so won't put the exact full text here.

Apparently, he was not acting as a Councillor when he put his comments out, so cannot be expelled, and this is as far as they can go while still acting within the law.

The council did also vote to send condolences to the deceased's family.

As a councillor censured for unacceptable behaviour I sincerely doubt he will be re-elected.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Essentially the council have voted to say that they don't believe he is fit to hold that office any more. That is a much stronger reaction than I was expecting and a fantastic result.

I believe that means he will not be allowed to sit on any committees or such like, but will still retain his position as a councillor. Hopefully the local electorate will seal the deal for him at the next election.

Essentially the council have voted to say that they don't believe he is fit to hold that office any more. That is a much stronger reaction than I was expecting and a fantastic result.

I believe that means he will not be allowed to sit on any committees or such like, but will still retain his position as a councillor. Hopefully the local electorate will seal the deal for him at the next election.

The question is, how do we manage to get the local electorate to feel as strongly about the man as PW members do?

The question is, how do we manage to get the local electorate to feel as strongly about the man as PW members do?

All I can really think of JDog is that when the next elections come around that we can promote the message via the local media in that area and perhaps the other candidates to remind voters what Woodward's behaviour was and highlight his extremist views.

There may well be PW members in that area that could raise a question in public meetings or such like. Maybe the local area office for BASC or any other organisation could support that sort of thing too.

I have this morning received a three and a half page reply from Bridget Scaife, the gist of which is that Woodward has been officially 'censured' as his behaviour regarding this incident was found to be 'unacceptable'. Further, the council has sent it's condolences and sincere apologies to the family of the deceased. Sorted. :) Well done PW, fabulous result.

Ditto, reply received.

Out of interest, if anyone on PW is local to the area, and is willing to keep an eye on when elections are coming up, I will happily volunteer to campaign on behalf of people standing against Cllr Woodward, if he's got the brass neck to stand again. Leaflet dropping, assistance with doorstep knocking, etc.

I have this morning received a three and a half page reply from Bridget Scaife, the gist of which is that Woodward has been officially 'censured' as his behaviour regarding this incident was found to be 'unacceptable'. Further, the council has sent it's condolences and sincere apologies to the family of the deceased. Sorted. :) Well done PW, fabulous result.

yep I got the same letter today

i got reply as well,i think its rubbish how can it be ok to publish stuff like that and say he effectively wasn,t a councillor at the time,but say nxt day at work he is now a councillor absolute rubbish response from them

Edited by hawkfanz

i got reply as well,i think its rubbish how can it be ok to publish stuff like that and say he effectively wasn,t a councillor at the time,but say nxt day at work he is now a councillor absolute rubbish response from them

Strange isn't it, I doubt a police officer, or a teacher would have such protection!

Strange isn't it, I doubt a police officer, or a teacher would have such protection!

yeah but thats politics isnt it ! My response was the same as those quoted here and can best be summarised as lots of reference to case law and precedents with the council excellent in distancing themselves in the usual mealy mouthed political gobbledegook I expected. I suppose they at least had the decency to censure the reptile but doubt much else will happen to him myself.

Got my letter today, same as the rest.

What does a censure really mean?

It may be slightly different in local politics, but I have always known it to mean a vote of no confidence, i.e. the rest of the council have effectively said they no longer trust him to do that job. In central government it does mean that you get dropped from any committees, etc, but may be different at a local level.

It may be slightly different in local politics, but I have always known it to mean a vote of no confidence, i.e. the rest of the council have effectively said they no longer trust him to do that job. In central government it does mean that you get dropped from any committees, etc, but may be different at a local level.

Nowt more than a slap on the wrists in local politics!