A Cautionary Tale

so due to his slackness, theres now a shotgun in the hands of the crims.

remember to sound off your sympathies should the gun be used to murder or maim at some point.

if it had been 10k in cash or a 10k rolex would he have taken the time to lock it away?

What if it was a knife they had taken, would you somehow hold the person that had it stolen from his house responsible it was used to injure someone. Its the person that has the intent to injure or kill someone that is the issue not what they use. I am sure he regrets not locking the house and securing the firearm, the public and politicians get their knickers in a twist when a firearm is used in a crime even though its rare compared with other implements. That hysteria makes it easy for them to tighten the firearms laws, some on the forum are falling into the same trap. I think a warning would be sufficient.

Police recorded 5,023 serious knife crimes in England and Wales in the first three months after they began to count the offences as a separate crime category last spring. It is equivalent to about 400 offences per week.

Edited by ordnance

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you!

Was just about to post about that.

He might have been unlucky his house was burgled on the same day but that's irrelevant, he accepted responsibility for keeping the gun secure and on that day he clearly didn't so how many other days did he leave it unattended like that? You could argue all day long that it was a one off, but when it comes to firearm safety you only get once chance and it should take priority over everything else. What might have happened if a kid had got hold of it for gods sake!? He should have known better, deserved a good kick up the **** and I think in the circumstances he got off very lightly indeed.

Edited by MartynGT4

but when it comes to firearm safety you only get once chance and it should take priority over everything else. What might have happened if a kid had got hold of it for gods sake!? He should have known better, deserved a good kick up the **** and I think in the circumstances he got off very lightly indeed.

How would a kid have got hold of it, where their children in the house. ? Obviously it makes sense to lock up firearms, especially if there are children about, along with knifes medicines poisons and any of the numerous things that could harm a child.

It's a shame that someone has lost his sgc, but unfortunately he can only blame himself. If it had been stolen from a locked cabinet, then he would not be in any bother. We all have a responsibility to make sure our guns remain as safe as is practicable.

As has been said a few times, it's part of the terms of our certificate to keep guns secure. There is no real argument, here.

How would a kid have got hold of it, where their children in the house. ? Obviously it makes sense to lock up firearms, especially if there are children about, along with knifes medicines poisons and any of the numerous things that could harm a child.

I don't know, perhaps he has kids in his house, perhaps he doesn't, perhaps a kid could have broken in to his house saw the shotgun on the side and thought it would be fun to let off a few carts.. thankfully that didn't happen but through his complacency it could have. My point is that he's responsible for locking the gun up, he didn't and it fell into the wrong hands as a result so losing his ticket is perfectly justified and he has no right complain.

It's a shame that someone has lost his sgc, but unfortunately he can only blame himself. If it had been stolen from a locked cabinet, then he would not be in any bother. We all have a responsibility to make sure our guns remain as safe as is practicable.

As has been said a few times, it's part of the terms of our certificate to keep guns secure. There is no real argument, here.

Couldn't agree more :good:

He might have been unlucky his house was burgled on the same day but that's irrelevant, he accepted responsibility for keeping the gun secure and on that day he clearly didn't so how many other days did he leave it unattended like that? You could argue all day long that it was a one off, but when it comes to firearm safety you only get once chance and it should take priority over everything else. What might have happened if a kid had got hold of it for gods sake!? He should have known better, deserved a good kick up the **** and I think in the circumstances he got off very lightly indeed.

Not quite sure why you`re quoting me? All I did was thank Moose Man for clearing up the inaccurate turn the thread was taking. All I`ve done in this thread is report a story. At no point have I voiced any opinion on what has happened. :)

Not quite sure why you`re quoting me? All I did was thank Moose Man for clearing up the inaccurate turn the thread was taking. All I`ve done in this thread is report a story. At no point have I voiced any opinion on what has happened. :)

Sorry mate, my mistake..

What do you think would have happened if the burglar found his cabinet keys opened it up and stolen the gun? Makes you wonder where the legal line is drawn.

They draw the line when you have in their opinion, "taken all reasonable precautions " leaving your keys laying around is not a good idea.

Must of been a couple of years ago now 2 people were out looking for pigeons pulled motor up got out apparently left motor don't know how far they went but when they got back the motor had gone a defender I believe, and their guns and kit were all in it. It was all recovered they had their sgc's taken but I think they got them back or at least one of them definitely did.

Must of been a couple of years ago now 2 people were out looking for pigeons pulled motor up got out apparently left motor don't know how far they went but when they got back the motor had gone a defender I believe, and their guns and kit were all in it. It was all recovered they had their sgc's taken but I think they got them back or at least one of them definitely did.

If you're talking about Peter Theobald's case, the two of them got all their kit back and didn't lose their certificates. Mind you, they had only (so Peter told me) been a few metres from the vehicle when the thief jumped in and made off with it.

how many people when out pigeon shooting by them self go outside the pigeon hide to clean the pattern up 25 yards away and leave the gun inside the hide out of sight for a couple of minutes ? go on be honest the answer is no one were all perfect :whistling: and we all throw stones at green houses

Edited by stuartbrierley

how many people when out pigeon shooting by them self go outside the pigeon hide to clean the pattern up 25 yards away and leave the gun inside the hide out of sight for a couple of minutes ? go on be honest the answer is no one were all perfect :whistling: and we all throw stones at green houses

Perhaps but that's not really in the same ball park as leaving it on show in a house and driving off is it?

Anyway, he lost his ticket and that's that. We needn't worry about his guns getting in the wrong hands again.. :lol:

So now the gun was 'on show' in the house, was it ????

Under circumstances such as these, after a nominal period (often 12 months) he can apply to get his Certificate back. That is unless the house was insecure, the gun had been left on the front doorstep, the gun was loaded or someone shot a 25 straight on the guy's skeet layout in the back garden, before deciding to take the gun !!!

So now the gun was 'on show' in the house, was it ????

Under circumstances such as these, after a nominal period (often 12 months) he can apply to get his Certificate back. That is unless the house was insecure, the gun had been left on the front doorstep, the gun was loaded or someone shot a 25 straight on the guy's skeet layout in the back garden, before deciding to take the gun !!!

On show or not, what's the difference when he didn't put it away and a burglar got his mits on it! lol

the thing is being someone who had guns out very regularly he had got slack and its highly unlikely this was the first time it had happened. The rules are simple and we all know we have to take reasonable precautions regarding our guns, leaving them out of the cabinet and going out isn't reasonable much as police drummed it into farmers they couldn't leave guns in trucks, behind doors etc

On some permission I used to have, the landowner had a fac and a .17hmr rifle..... He was burgled, they found the cabinet and upstairs they found his keys and took his rifle and ammunition.

He managed to retain his fac, despite being told he shouldn't leave the keys in an upstairs draw. He subsequently got a sgc after being burgled as well as retaining his fac and buying another rifle.

I didn't think he would keep it as I always have my cabinet key with me on my house keys.

My brother in law has a sgc, one family party we were chatting about security, I said I always have my house/cabinet keys with me, he said you'll never guess where I keep my cabinet keys......he is tall (6'04) and his wife and kids not so, we were stood in the kitchen drinking beer, "up there!" I said and pointed at the highest kitchen unit above the fridge......he was mortified I guessed correctly first time (I guessed he put them there as its easy for him to reach but not the others in the house) I told him either keep the keys with you or buy a combination key safe.

What the guy in the original post did is unforgivable actually and I'm sorry he suffered, but I and others have been revoked for far less..........

Few points: of course everyone makes mistakes. However my practice is: leaving the car -even for a second - key is coming out. Make it a habit! Automatic. Muscle memory. Also arriving home, gun is the first to go in to the cabinet. Everything else has to wait. Always. Kids, gear, wife, etc. Keys also not kept on premises, they are on a different location. So, when me not at home, no one got access to the guns. That's how I do it. Don't want to write about my key hiding technics on an open forum.

Few points: of course everyone makes mistakes. However my practice is: leaving the car -even for a second - key is coming out. Make it a habit! Automatic. Muscle memory. Also arriving home, gun is the first to go in to the cabinet. Everything else has to wait. Always. Kids, gear, wife, etc. Keys also not kept on premises, they are on a different location. So, when me not at home, no one got access to the guns. That's how I do it. Don't want to write about my key hiding technics on an open forum.

That's almost fool proof, but totally paranoid.