Convayancing...why so hard!!!!

Archie-fox

Just in the middle of buying another house and it seems everyday there is another issue as to why things are being held up...

its either searches, lost paperwork, waiting for letters that should have arrived 3 weeks ago..

allways somthing lost or missing..

why is it such a drama for solicitors to sort out simple tasks that they are being paid well for!!!

surley there has to be a easier way..

rant over.

Just in the middle of buying another house and it seems everyday there is another issue as to why things are being held up...

its either searches, lost paperwork, waiting for letters that should have arrived 3 weeks ago..

allways somthing lost or missing..

why is it such a drama for solicitors to sort out simple tasks that they are being paid well for!!!

surley there has to be a easier way..

rant over.

I've always used a Licenced Conveyancer to be honest ( about 8 times) and have never encountered any delays at all. Trouble with a solicitor is he/she might be in court on a rape case one day, sorting out Mrs Jones' adultery case the next... trying to get Harry of a drink driving charge on Thursday etc etc...

These are the best I've used...don't **** about and keep you informed every step of the way...even make a nuisance of themselves chasing you for information if necessary.. https://www.cwpl.co.uk/

There are conveyancing solicitors ... and then there are conveyancing solicitors.

When I was part-owner of a new-build company a few years ago, we would only use 1 person, at a particular firm, for ALL of our conveyancing work. If a buyer wanted to use that firm, then we'd inform them that they would not be buying from us (as both parties can't use the same company) - he was (actually, is) that good.

Since then, I've moved house twice, and used him both times. Have recommended him to friends, who in turn have ended up recommending him to their family/friends too.

A good one is worth their weight in gold. If they're good and efficient, then costs are pretty low too, as they get the job done.

However, don't just blame the solicitors. It's entirely possible that they have got in touch with their client, and are waiting for a reply to questions, etc.

Spoke to mine yesterday asking how things were going, only to be told they were waiting for searches to be returned, but last week they told me they had all the searches back and we're doing the last bits of enquiraris I think they just lie to get you off the phone...

A good one is worth their weight in gold. If they're good and efficient, then costs are pretty low too, as they get the job done.

Very true. Having recently left the world of estate agency, I can vouch for this.

I have a couple of solid gold recommendations - Tim Fox of Greene & Greene in Bury St Edmunds, and Nicholas Smith of George Ide in Chichester.

LS

I've just bought a new house and one solicitor dealt with the whole thing from start to finish. Couldn't have gone smoother. :good:

I sold a house last year using a bargain basement conveyancer and the few quid saved wasn't worth the extra aggro involved in not answering emails or phone calls and generally taking forever to do the simplest thing.

I think the problem is that people aren't prepared to pay for conveyancing! Whenever I've moved I've used a friend of mine who is a commercial conveyancing solicitor. He has always found a load of things that needed sorting before the transaction should take place and it's almost always because the solicitors who've previously been involved in buying and selling the place haven't done their jobs properly and found and sorted the issues. If people paid for the job to be done properly then it would make the transaction much smoother for everyone subsequently buying the property and the transactions would go through smoothly and cost less. As it is, if you have one solicitor who is any good then it will take longer, especially as the other solicitor in the transaction is probably working for peanuts and not interested in making solving the problems a priority.

I found using a smaller local firm was a lot more effective than one of the larger national ones. Having my solicitor 3 mins from work meant any problems i could go in and deal with the same day rather than waiting for letters to be sent backwards and forwards or conveniently lost. Price wise they were about the same as the big boys.

I came to the conclusion when buying or selling houses assume everyone is the biggest ****head you have ever had to deal with.....dont treat them like one but just assume they are.

It's the sheer cost of buying and selling that really gets me. Last time we moved it must of been over £5k, quite possibly more and that was 10 years ago. I agree that you shouldn't skimp on the solicitor but personally I would have no idea if the person charging the most was actually any good. It's a pity that there isn't some sort of league table for these type of services.

ive only ever bought one house , no chain or estate agents involved and no issues with the sale , we both used the same firm of solicitors as we were already customers .

time was a massive issue for me so i sat with the bank and solicitor and asked if it can be done in six weeks , (i had tradesmen booked in for windows , re wire , builders etc ) , both the bank and solicitor promised me that it would be sorted , twelve weeks and £3,000 later it came to a stand up fight in the solicitors office when it still hadnt happened , turned out it was the bank that had been dragging their heels the whole time.

verging away from the negative, my purchase was quick and easy... and bloody fast.

we viewed the house and decided we wanted it, then made an offer not thinking it would be accepted.

low and behold, they said yes.

now its worth bearing in mind, we had half the deposit we needed and no official mortgage offer.

my cousing is a partner in a conveyancing firm so we got straight on the phone to her to get the ball rolling.

2 days later, we spent the whole day speaking to banks etc and obtaining details on mortgages.

we were accepted and had a mortgage in principal on the 4th day.

we sold our second car and my inlaws kindly lent us the extra we needed to complete our deposit.

by this point we were 2 weeks in and everything was moving well.

paper work was being emailed and faxed and everything went well untill the searches... they held us up for a week and a half.

we picked the keys up 28 days after first viewing the house.

oh, and it cost us less than £1000 in fees.

it is worth noting however that we were first time buyers... so that helped.

the original plan of homebuyers packs fell through a few years ago

they would have meant the seller sorting out a survey rather than each buyer doing one (often using the same guy) and any problems would be sorted BEFORE the property went on sale,

dunno why they didnt go ahaead with it,

the original plan of homebuyers packs fell through a few years ago

they would have meant the seller sorting out a survey rather than each buyer doing one (often using the same guy) and any problems would be sorted BEFORE the property went on sale,

dunno why they didnt go ahaead with it,

Because a survey only has any standing on the day it is done.

Imagine the homebuyers packs exist.

You go look at a house.

The pack was, however, done 6 months ago.

A neighbour might have a planning application in for an extension which will block your light, a new road might be proposed. If in the country, an industrial-scale poultry unit might have been in for planning.

None of those things would be listed on your 6 month old paperwork.

So you have to pay for another survey.

All that has happened is that the vendor has just had their costs ramped up.

And so have you, when you come to sell the house

There are conveyancing solicitors ... and then there are conveyancing solicitors.

When I was part-owner of a new-build company a few years ago, we would only use 1 person, at a particular firm, for ALL of our conveyancing work. If a buyer wanted to use that firm, then we'd inform them that they would not be buying from us (as both parties can't use the same company) - he was (actually, is) that good.

Since then, I've moved house twice, and used him both times. Have recommended him to friends, who in turn have ended up recommending him to their family/friends too.

However, don't just blame the solicitors. It's entirely possible that they have got in touch with their client, and are waiting for a reply to questions, etc.

PM us their details Robbie - handy to know as we are in the same neck of the woods....

Cheers

Steve