Have forums contributed to pub closures

loriusgarrulus

At least you can get into a good heated debate :mad: on PW without any physical in your face :mad: fall out (or worse) but I supposed you could still get barred. :whistling:

I don't frequent a local pub to often I would have to walk +/- 2 miles along a road without any pavements as I would not take a chance with the car so I cant really say if forums are causing the demise of pubs. I do know there are a few country pubs struggling in Scotland due to the drink driving changes last year.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only guessing but I'd say a lot of people on here are over 40 like myself. We grew up in our early years with 3 tv channels and no computers (ZX81 came out when I was 11 I think). We had to go out to entertain ourselves back then where as now people/kids have a PC/laptop, iPad/Tablet or smartphone with Internet access and Sky/cable/freeview with at least 30 plus channels (still nothing on to watch though, lol).

People met there partners (many of who are now Ex's), had kids and settled down. Friends did the same so we lose that social bond we once had which we never really get back with them as you spend your time with your family and they with theirs with the odd night out to keep in touch. People move away for jobs, your kids grow up which gives you more free time and you take up or restart old hobbies. Do you spend £4 a pint on a night out and go to a club leaving you £50 down or as was said it's much easier and cheaper to get a case of beer on offer from the local supermarket and sit at home in front of a computer/TV. So in a way people use forums to socially interact now because not everyone in your life likes the same things you do. You can talk to people from all over the world for help or advice and swap experiences.

And the saving from one night out will pay for at least a 40 clay session which has gotta be more fun than waking up feeling rough as hell the day after.

Go to the Bradford Media Museum, it's free and has a ZX 80 and all the others like the C64 etc!- Sorry off the main topic.

Never been one for pubs, really... mind you, i've never really had a 'nice' pub within staggering distance from my house.

So the OP's question isn't really relevant to me.

However...If I WAS a regular pub-goer, I don't think the existence of forums online would stop be going.

Oh, I have a Sinclair Spectrum 48k and games in the garage if anyone wants to buy it :D

And for those of you who don't go or have never been to the pub do before forums. Some of you need to get out.

Whats the point in going out when you can shoot so many different species and have so many friends without leaving the comfort of your armchair .

I think supermarket booze has killed pubs , I mean why pay all that money when I can sit on the park bench with my Diamond White four pack .

I live opposite my village local and have not been in for over 6 years. The current cock that runs it turned it into a "Cotswold Gastro Pub" and now you can only go in if you are ordering food. Well at soup for £8 a bowl he can shove it up his ****.

Saying that he is full of Tourists at the weekend the the car park always has tasty cars on it. Guess its the London set up the the weekend.

Used to be great to take the dog in to the bar at the weekend with all of the old guys sharing out the days spoils.

I am fortunate to have a local that's still a pub, quarry tile floor and old floorboards, no food, just decent ale and banter, a good mix of drinker's, 2 local shoots and the licensee is always welcoming.

Plenty have closed around us as many other area's, but the greed of the breweries has been the reason for many closures, the landlord starts to make a living out of there business only to get stung for more rent. I don't think that the change in opening times did it any favours. It certainly ruined Sunday lunch time, and also that seemed to affect the traditional Sunday roast too.

I have red trousers !!

No suede slip on shoes though.

I should add I wear my red trousers to the pub and sometimes when posting on PW.

Red and Yellow for me. Sometimes i am wearing leather...whoops, i'll get me coat

Supermarket prices and overly long opening hours...I spent lots of my mispent youth up to being about 35 years old every single day in our local pub.I did stop drinking when I was 18 but we used to have a reet good do, dominoes, darts, nine card don , bridge, all suplimented my income, funny really how most of the participants used to let me win untill they realised I was fleecing them. :lol: I still used to beat them 'cause I was the one not drinking. Joking aside, they were good days and evenings, never had any trouble and lots of my property buisness ventures were sealed with a pint.beer.gif.pagespeed.ce.fMEqQ2RI_x.gif from Auntie.