A warning to all Section 2 pump and semi-auto shotgun owners

Oxfordshooter

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a used pump action 12 bore shotgun from a local dealer who sourced it from the main importer. When the gun arrived I was over the moon as although it was a described as a B grade gun, it looked brand new.

I took it to my permission in order to try it out and get used to the gun as I'd never shot a pump action before. I popped two cartridges into the mag, then just for the hell of it I thought I'd see if any more would fit in - to my surprise in went 3, 4, then 5 carts. Bearing in mind this gun was only supposed to hold two in the magazine and one up the spout, I was pretty shocked.

I took the gun back to my dealer who was very apologetic and send it back to the major company who imported it for further investigation. Initially I was told that the gun could have a new magazine fitted, but that it would also have to be re-proofed which would take months. However, eventually they saw sense and fitted a new crimped magazine and shipped it back to me.

As a law abiding chap, I can't help but think what would have happened to me if for any reason I was found to be in possession of a Section 1 shotgun without the correct licence - trying to prove my innocence would have been potentially stressful and very costly.

So the moral of this story is to check how many cartridges your Section 2 pump or semi-auto holds as you may get a surprise. Has anybody else had an experience like this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I squashed my mag tube trying to unscrew it to get grit out of it (after trying the obvious other ways). I couldn't get hold of a replacement so had a local engineering firm make me one (which didn't have the crimp). I used it, with just the plastic rod inside it to stop more than 2 going in the mag, for months until I found a way of getting hold of the replacement.

Strictly speaking, it wasn't legal because it wasn't permanent but I'd clearly done my best so felt reasonably comfortable, though knowing my luck I should really have stopped using it.

You bought the gun in good faith-I doubt that a Court could find you guilty of much-unless they could prove that you knew it held more shells than it should. There must be something in the water round here-speaking to a dealer the other day-a well known courier arrived at his shop after he had closed. Finding the door locked and the lights off the driver left the package round the side of the premises and left. Following day the owner turns up and finds the package......nice 12G sbs :no:

I could would not be troubled by such a gun at all.

The law in this case is a joke and police don't do dawn raids on pump action shot gun users.

If a shotgun holds more than it should it does not turn the owner into a greater threat than they already are!

I had such a pump for years. Now let's see, I lost how many days sleep, errm, none, zippo, zilch.

The 3.5" guns take more lesser size than they should but everyone in authority conveniently over looks it!

Typical British law making, stereotyping people as criminal before any crime has been committed. Self righteousness to an extreme!

The op indicates how much he is a law abiding chap but in fact he became a law breaker. Not by committing a crime but by some thoughtless group of donkey's in power and armed with pens, aka experts!

ive had a couple of semi's now and out of curiosity i have checked both.... for me i have no interest in more than 2+1 in a shotgun as by the time ive 2 theres ****** all about anyway as they scarper at an alarming speed

There are several Hatstands and Browning Maxus's around that have the 'Migratory Bird' plastic plugs in them.

Check yours out and report back...

My Maxus's has one, purchased in France where we have a silly rule that a shotgun can only hold 2+1 if it's smooth bore but if It has a rifled slug barrel then it can hold 5- oh, and this rifled barrel can be as short as 43cm (18")

They are in Cat "C" and are on either your normal 'Hunting Permit' or your 'Target Licence'.

So a straightforward purchase.

If we wish to jump through a couple of hoops then as some will know then Semi-Auto Rifles, Pistols and some rather special Shotguns are available ( ahhhh, just like the old UK days )

Don't they put a bit of wood in the tube in the US? In some states you can own a shotgun which holds 7 rounds - just can't hung with more than 2 or 3 in there at any one time. So you stick a bit of wood in there to prevent that.

What about 3.5" autos which hold 3 +1 65mm cartridges. How do you stand legally?

Only put 2 cartridges in and you're fine. As already said it was a bit of poorly thoughtout legislation hastily tagged in with the 1988 semi-auto full-bore rifle ban (even though Michael Ryan didn't even use a shotgun), but as we've now seen from the newly released McKay report, there's a 'wishlist' of gun bans/restrictions they've got waiting in the wings for us, they just need an excuse to get them passed. dry.gif.pagespeed.ce.saF1IBu17q.gif

As a matter of interest i believe it was Douglas Hurd, a shooter himself, who got the shotgun restriction brought into the legislation as he didn't like semi's/pump's :rolleyes:

Edited by Breastman

As has been said, I would have only ever put two in so would never have realised ..... I had a baikal mp153 with the 3.5 inch chamber, only ever loaded that 2+1 in hindsight should have seen if could have squeezed more in, but never really wanted to ..... Only have break barrel guns now

You bought the gun in good faith-I doubt that a Court could find you guilty of much-unless they could prove that you knew it held more shells than it should. There must be something in the water round here-speaking to a dealer the other day-a well known courier arrived at his shop after he had closed. Finding the door locked and the lights off the driver left the package round the side of the premises and left. Following day the owner turns up and finds the package......nice 12G sbs :no:

Bruno was that RH who told you that? I'm sure he told me a similar story a while ago

There are several Hatstands and Browning Maxus's around that have the 'Migratory Bird' plastic plugs in them.

Check yours out and report back...

My Maxus's has one, purchased in France where we have a silly rule that a shotgun can only hold 2+1 if it's smooth bore but if It has a rifled slug barrel then it can hold 5- oh, and this rifled barrel can be as short as 43cm (18")

Was cleaning my mate's Hatstand a year or so ago and the plastic plug sprang out. Anyway, I replaced it.

Lots of semi autos, and particularly those chambered for 3.5" shells, can fit an extra round up the pipe. Sure if you can fit several you should take it back but if you can 'just' fit an extra round that is normal. It has been proofed as section 2 so it's not an issue.