Sleeping bag recommendation please!

Salop Matt

I use a trakker big snooze for fishing all year round and it's nice and toastie fleece lining and a bit more room than a mummy type bag but don't pack down quite as small.

I have one of these and can really recommend them. The fleece lining is very comfy and you don't get too hot in summer, and the extra room in them is nice as well

Edit: Just seen they're only 40 quid these days I paid much more than that, but I have had it more than ten years so goes to show they're good quality and I used to fish every weekend for god knows how many years

Edited by MrDaveO84

Down packs small but is too high maintenance for this country as it doesn't like the damp. For those dates I wouldn't go too warm either as you'll just sweat your knackers off. Personally, if I'm not going too far from the car I like to just take a spare duvet even though I own half a dozen bags. Far more comfy and only a tenner to replace instead of wash!

Whilst you are in the shop, get a roll mat( like a foam yoga mat). Most of your heat goes into the floor or out through your cot bed and this will stop that. We sleep on the snow in Norway and these are a godsend. I recon you can be warmer with a mat and no bag than a bag and no mat. Again, personally avoid air mats as they aren't as warm and if you are as bony as me you just poke through and touch the floor anyways!

Cheers guys, I wanted to stick to £50 budget! I will check out what you have recommended.

Down packs small but is too high maintenance for this country as it doesn't like the damp. For those dates I wouldn't go too warm either as you'll just sweat your knackers off. Personally, if I'm not going too far from the car I like to just take a spare duvet even though I own half a dozen bags. Far more comfy and only a tenner to replace instead of wash!

Whilst you are in the shop, get a roll mat( like a foam yoga mat). Most of your heat goes into the floor or out through your cot bed and this will stop that. We sleep on the snow in Norway and these are a godsend. I recon you can be warmer with a mat and no bag than a bag and no mat. Again, personally avoid air mats as they aren't as warm and if you are as bony as me you just poke through and touch the floor anyways!

Cheers for that, how ever my days of being a scout and sleeping on the floor have passed ! I will be investing in a fishing bivvy and a folding bed to keep me off the ground, comfortable and warm. I also have a millitary self inflating matt for extra warmth and comfort.

ATB

Matt

I use snugpak but there are cheaper ones. If you're not using it often get a cheap bag, sleep in your clothes and take some extra stuff to pile on top. Unless space is an issue.

Used a kip mat for years then changed to a camp bed (£12). More comfortable, space underneath and you don't get the damp patch under the kip mat. Heavy though but I camp on a bike and still think it's worth the weight, especially if you staying in one place for a few days (like at the tt)

In that case get one that is designed to clip onto a fishing bedchair, that way it will not twist and turn as you do and tie you up in knots.

Cheers guys, I wanted to stick to £50 budget! I will check out what you have recommended.

Cheers for that, how ever my days of being a scout and sleeping on the floor have passed ! I will be investing in a fishing bivvy and a folding bed to keep me off the ground, comfortable and warm. I also have a millitary self inflating matt for extra warmth and comfort.

ATB

Matt

i got a cracking one from work (Audi)... micro fleece lined with an internal pocket and a soft nylon outer.

no too hot, not too warm. and not a bad price. part of our hiking, skiing and outdoors range of accessories.

first one ive had with a fleece lining. boy, what a difference!

may have another one here if your interested?

send me a p.m. and i'll forward you the details if you want...

Edited by brett1985

Cheers for you help Brett !

I ended up settling on as recommend a: Trakker Big Snooze Plus! Should be delivered next week @ £39.99 from Bristol, I got the last on in the shops offer :)

Last thing on my list is a bivvy bed to put the big snooze on !

ATB

Matt