Rifleman or shotgunner..or both?

Scully

Worse thing for shotgun shooting is rifle shooting and vice versa, the 2 skill sets are very different especially pointing and aiming. Teaching both I find myself making silly mistakes in my own shooting especially if I have a nightmare lesson just before I pick up a gun.

I always feel as though in pure shooting terms the two disciplines are so completely different, with virtually nothing in common except the bang, that the one doesn't leak into the other.

But I now wonder if it's also because I've never been a target shooter, am not bothered about shooting 5p groups, just want to hit the vital organs of a deer. Thus I shoot thousands of shotgun cartridges a year but probably less than 100 rifle rounds, even including some zeroing/range practice . So they perhaps also don't get confused because shotgun shooting is dominant in my brain? (And maybe that's also why I'm relatively a better shot with a shotgun than a rifle?) As opposed to people who shoot/have shot both more evenly.

Edited by Pothunter

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both for me. Completely different disciplines but I enjoy both with equal measure. Was initially trained on rifles and shotguns came later. I don't find that the transition from rifle to shotgun poses any issues for me personally, but a large part of the reason for that is that for the first time in years, I recently changed my gun for a shotgun that fitted me properly...as in really properly (I used to think they did but they didn't in previous years!) and shooting with the gun has become more instinctive and enjoyable ever since, as well as having fuller game bags.

I shoot more targets than quarry with the rifles as I enjoy the discipline of longer range shooting, perhaps up to 300 yds, and for me anyway it's a great way to fine tune rifle skills and eradicate bad habits as longer ranges involve more considerations and better more disciplined technique.

Edited by Savhmr

Prefer rifles, got sick of carting decoying gear & after the worst decoying year ever i got shot of the lot.I tended to do more roost shooting than decoying so will get a new semi for that.Just picked up a new CZ rimmy a few weeks ago and thats away getting cut to 14inc for lamping from the comfort of the cab & i will be purchasing a new 243 after ive had my holidays.

Both..... Love all types of shooting, brought up on a farm so it's in my blood..! if I had to choose it would be the shotgun all day long.... I have three rifles and love using them but there's nothing like instinctive shooting with a shotgun.......

Tedly

If absolutely forced to choose between one or the other, I would choose to keep the shotguns. IMO much more versatility, I can hunt Moose with slugs or take fowl with shot. As some of the air rifle people have said there is a certain sense of accomplishment in having to be nearer to your quarry with something like a shotgun. Having said that, I do like rifle shooting, especially my 45/70 that I would find hard to give up.

Both.. Grew up feral on a dairy farm.. started with an air rifle, then .410 , then 12 gauge, then rimfire and finally centrefire. Still have air rifle, rimfire, centrefire and 12 gauge's.. Stalk deer and shoot driven pheasant, prefer rough shooting but harder to get the permissions now. I started fly fishing 5 years ago.. so thats another thing to do in the spring, summer and autumn.

As I approach 60 I realise you have to keep up the practise with all the firearms to stay quick and accurate.. I enjoy clay pigeon but not competitive, just shoot against myself or with a friend.. I have to say i have as much enjoyment now with shotgun and rifle as I did when I was young, So must be doing something right.. I just wish the attitude to field sports was the same now as it was when i was 16 !..

I am sure plenty of people will say they chop and change between the two without issues but V8 90's post makes a valid point.

I find going from a period of shotgun shooting I have found I pull my rifles' triggers and going the other way sometimes I stop the swing of my shotgun.

Two very useful 'how did you miss that?' excuses to have in the back pocket too ;)

I've sold my rifles & kit to focus on Clay shooting - I found rifle shooting was holding me back with my clay shooting as they don't go hand in hand so after much deliberation I sold them - I'm loving my return to the clay scene following a 25 year absence !

So for now & the next few years I'm a shotgunner :good:

Relieved to find it is not just me having difficulty with the two disciplines and their very different / opposing techniques.

Where does musketeer fit in :-).

I would be a bow hunter now if I could. I am going backwards in time tell ya.

My long distance rifle days are long gone, short of mucking about.

The suppository shotguns rarely come out now. Don't make enough smoke!

Wish they would grant me a flintlock rifle the miserable bunch of....grumps.

Where does musketeer fit in :-).

I would be a bow hunter now if I could. I am going backwards in time tell ya.

My long distance rifle days are long gone, short of mucking about.

The suppository shotguns rarely come out now. Don't make enough smoke!

Wish they would grant me a flintlock rifle the miserable bunch of....grumps.

. As black powder shooters are such a "special breed" you have to agree that there is no fitting in to "normal society". :lol:

Rifles.

If forced to choose just one gun it would be a .22lr.

My shooting is killing rabbits and this is the gun for that.

Been out tonight with my .22wmr and thoroughly enjoyed it. Peep sights and very little light left. I surprised myself at what could see and hit but it's too loud!

One thing, they don't move when you hit them.

I don't know why but i really enjoy shooting rifles alot more than shotguns and i don't really know why?

I feel like i get more stuff/ am a bit better with a rifle than i am with a shotgun.

Also have a semi-auto 12 gauge that is pretty tough on the shoulder

and my other 12 gauge o/u is great on the shoulder but any amount of shooting bruises my cheek.

Also i hate wearing hearing protection but if you don't you will go deaf so have to.

Cant wear buds or banded ear plugs when in field otherwise you can't hear a bunch of crows coming

in your direction and the filter ear bud things are like £400!

Have a pair of filter earmuffs but they are very warm and make it awkward to mount gun without hitting earmuffs.

Also noise of shotgun gets more attention and may alert people more.

Also shotgun ammo is more expensive for me.

Don't get me wrong i still thoroughly enjoy a bit of shot-gunning but i just love rifles!

I really love the lower powered quieter rifles aswell.

If all i was ever allowed was a Quality Air Rifle and a Quality 22lr i definitely wouldn't be crying! :lol::):good: