Changes You Have Seen In Pigeon Shooting ?

marsh man

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised I haven't heard of you, as these would certainly have been some kind of record bags!

There are many shooters who never publicy reveal what they shoot eg I 100% know these few facts. 2 guns sharing the same hide one shooting a Winchester Coey single 12ga shot 100+ Pigeon the other shot 200+ killing 82 straight. The same 2 guns shot 100+ Pigeon each with Air Rifle coming into roost.

Also one gun shot bags of 5 x 600+ Pigeon 2 x 900 before finally reaching his goal of 1000 when he shot 1100 and these 8 big bags was shot on the same Farm over laid Barley ( only a hand full which flew on was lost all what fell to shot was picked )

I could be wrong but I doubt you know of these bags !!!!!! Or heard of or met my Brother !!!

But you have met and shot with someone who shot 407 Pigeon on laid OSR and picked 402 the other afternoon.

All these bags ( not the roost shoot ) the gun/guns just took Gun Cartridges Dog 2 home made Bouncers and relied upon natural hide field craft and building a Pattern with shot Birds.

Where as today it seems people rely on to much gadgets as driving around the country/country side all I see is mini Helicopter impersonations !!!!!!

We now know a little of what life was like in the past , now one of you younger members might be putting a thread on here in 2065 about what it was like now and the changes he ( or she ) had seen in there 50 years of pigeon shooting.

So if we had a crystal ball what would we be looking at in 50 years time ?

Less land to shoot over

Unless pigeons die of disease , more about than there are now.

Shooting seasons for pigeons

Less sale for pigeon meat than there is now

No lead shot used on anything ( Clays and game )

Remote control decoys

Bag restrictions

Cartridges between £15 and £20 a box ( STEEL ) or some other non toxic shot.

4 X 4 lorry to cart there gear about.

All the above might be miles away from reality, or it could be close to the mark.

What are your thoughts ?

I'm not so sure PW get's a full representation of pigeons shot. I know for a fact that good numbers are shot on a regular basis without any hint of a report on here.

I go back a lot of years. There was a time when we would cut a hole in the hedge . There was no netting. We used bailed straw . On one farm we set up a dozen or so hides all around the farms and would shoot from places where the birds were feeding. The workers on the farm would run us about on tractors and trailers to get these hides built and put their backs in to it.

As a teenager there used to be a lot of cabbage and sprouts grown. In the winter the pigeon were desperate to feed when the weather was hard. You could stand in crop and shoot as many as you wanted to pick and carry home. I kid you not.

The biggest balls ache on a hot day with masses of pigeons shot, was loading them into the van or pickup, getting them back, and when going to get them ready for the game dealer, finding blow flies had laid eggs, and they were all now writhing with maggots :(

Ohhh the fun and games if they were in the back of a van, you would have bluebottles for weeks to come, everytime you opened the doors

No, I know of people's in those days shooting 600+

But in those days people didn't have internet to boast of their "prowess" and most kept quiet as the taxman would have taken an interest in the extra earnings, and as most took "sick days" from work to do it, they would have gotten the sack if the boss had found out too.

Since I've been back, my best day out was on corvids (four years ago, the weather has been **** in the summers since then) when me and mate got 800+ on a day (95% corvid, 5% pigeon, mostly feral)

I recovered 376 and he recovered 374 shooting two adjoining barley fields.

A lot dropped in hedges, trees, and adjoining fields too, so weren't recovered as no dog with us

Edited by Redditch

I'm not so sure PW get's a full representation of pigeons shot. I know for a fact that good numbers are shot on a regular basis without any hint of a report on here.

I go back a lot of years. There was a time when we would cut a hole in the hedge . There was no netting. We used bailed straw . On one farm we set up a dozen or so hides all around the farms and would shoot from places where the birds were feeding. The workers on the farm would run us about on tractors and trailers to get these hides built and put their backs in to it.

As a teenager there used to be a lot of cabbage and sprouts grown. In the winter the pigeon were desperate to feed when the weather was hard. You could stand in crop and shoot as many as you wanted to pick and carry home. I kid you not.

Of course it doesn't. There are many big bags of pigeons shot that are kept pretty quiet. I know people who have shot 500, 600 and 700 pigeons in a day. These bags are not as rare as some may think.

Another point. There have to be many more pigeons about these days, and many more pigeon shooters. Redditch says the big flocks have gone, but I disagree with this. I see big flocks quite regularly.

No, I know of people's in those days shooting 600+

But in those days people didn't have internet to boast of their "prowess" and most kept quiet as the taxman would have taken an interest in the extra earnings, and as most took "sick days" from work to do it, they would have gotten the sack if the boss had found out too.

Since I've been back, my best day out was on corvids (four years ago, the weather has been **** in the summers since then) when me and mate got 800+ on a day (95% corvid, 5% pigeon, mostly feral)

I recovered 376 and he recovered 374 shooting two adjoining barley fields.

A lot dropped in hedges, trees, and adjoining fields too, so weren't recovered as no dog with us

Fair point about the internet.

I believe that the converse is true.

Not in my little part of the world it isn't.

Quite unusual to be able to hear a shotgun these days. In the past you could hear them going off all around at any time of day or night.

Most definitely more pigeons too.

Of course it doesn't. There are many big bags of pigeons shot that are kept pretty quiet. I know people who have shot 500, 600 and 700 pigeons in a day. These bags are not as rare as some may think.

Another point. There have to be many more pigeons about these days, and many more pigeon shooters. Redditch says the big flocks have gone, but I disagree with this. I see big flocks quite regularly.

Yes we certainly saw some very large flocks last season on a few occasions !

DB and his Brother use to shoot a hundred each just standing on the edge of the field no nets decoys, these would be taken to the wholesale market and sold in the feather. These fields were cabbages and sprouts in the Severn valley area.

Yes I was looking on the woodpigeon page on fb the other night , the regular very large bags pics and write ups are very impressive :)

We now know a little of what life was like in the past , now one of you younger members might be putting a thread on here in 2065 about what it was like now and the changes he ( or she ) had seen in there 50 years of pigeon shooting.

So if we had a crystal ball what would we be looking at in 50 years time ?

Less land to shoot over

Unless pigeons die of disease , more about than there are now.

Shooting seasons for pigeons

Less sale for pigeon meat than there is now

No lead shot used on anything ( Clays and game )

Remote control decoys

Bag restrictions

Cartridges between £15 and £20 a box ( STEEL ) or some other non toxic shot.

4 X 4 lorry to cart there gear about.

All the above might be miles away from reality, or it could be close to the mark.

What are your thoughts ?

First of January 2065, received my shooting permit for the day via home communicator with the GPS location I have been allocated for the day.Arrived via my hydrogen powered Land Rover. Set up the drone and set it on a twenty mile circular scan . Set the scare mode to critical to move the birds to a central point. Set the monitor in the cab of the Land Rover to scan, using the camera sight on the drone to stun , started to lazer shoot the birds as they entered the sight on the monitor. Each bird shot was given a precise GPS location for the scavenging androids to collect. Stopped shooting when my shot allocation was used up and the birds were loaded into the vehicle and returned home after another satisfying days shooting and looking forward to my next permit allocation in approx six months. The shot birds were collected and taken to be processed and used in the local hospital for the benfit of the sick as the processed food we all eat now has no nutriment. A great days shooting , all available on the premier shooting forum The Old Fashioned Pigeon Watch

First of January 2065, received my shooting permit for the day via home communicator with the GPS location I have been allocated for the day.Arrived via my hydrogen powered Land Rover. Set up the drone and set it on a twenty mile circular scan . Set the scare mode to critical to move the birds to a central point. Set the monitor in the cab of the Land Rover to scan, using the camera sight on the drone to stun , started to lazer shoot the birds as they entered the sight on the monitor. Each bird shot was given a precise GPS location for the scavenging androids to collect. Stopped shooting when my shot allocation was used up and the birds were loaded into the vehicle and returned home after another satisfying days shooting and looking forward to my next permit allocation in approx six months. The shot birds were collected and taken to be processed and used in the local hospital for the benfit of the sick as the processed food we all eat now has no nutriment. A great days shooting , all available on the premier shooting forum The Old Fashioned Pigeon Watch

Not bad for a man of 118 years old PC. Too much sun I would say.

Yes I was looking on the woodpigeon page on fb the other night , the regular very large bags pics and write ups are very impressive :)

There are 4 regular pigeon shooters around here, who have never even heard of Pigeonwatch........and i know of a couple more who have but choose not to faff about on computors...........

Depends on WHAT you term as a large flock. I don't see any reports anymore of flocks of tens of thousands hitting fields anymore.

Seems a "big flock" nowadays might be 500, maybe even 2,000, but certainly not in the quantities they used to arrive in.

There are probably now many more flocks, of smaller size, due to the abundance of different crops they can get on (remember, mono culture is no longer allowed, minimum 3 crops and grass, and grass has to be the majority :(

All designed to force us to buy grains and straw from the continent.

It's really hitting my farmers badly, in the last years they have had their barley planting allowance reduced from 240 acres, to 174 acres, to 138 acres, and this year down to 86 acres :(

The EU is meddling way too much, and soon they will have forced through the law where everyone who wishes to shoot (be it pest/vermin, game or wildfowl) will have to take a 2 year course and a 3 day exam (Holland cost me €8,000.00 and Germany cost me €6,000.00 as they don't recognise each other's identical courses, and is basically a money making scam)

Also expect seasons on all vermin and pests too.

Coarse fishing also gets a 1 year course and a 2 day exam, but is less expensive, costing between €800-€1,200.00