EU Referendum

Romes

EU Exit or Stay  

213 members have voted

1. 1. EU referendum (Brexit) Are you For or Against?

• Exiting the EU (Brexit)
    • Staying in the EU

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So? We are talking contributions as a whole and we pay a damned site more than we should. Germany still owes us after the last little go they had at European domination and from the first attempts as well I believe.

Its ironic isnt it that they ended up with a massively better infrastructure after the war(s) paid for largely be everybody else and now de facto rule Europe without firing a shot or invading a neighbouring country

I don't buy the idea of Europe not trading with us if we pull out-if Senor jose pipe spends all year knitting Tomatoes on the land that he has been doing so for years then he is going to have a whole heap of Ketchup seeds left-can anyone honestly believe that he would refuse to sell them to us?

I don't buy the idea of Europe not trading with us if we pull out-if Senor jose pipe spends all year knitting Tomatoes on the land that he has been doing so for years then he is going to have a whole heap of Ketchup seeds left-can anyone honestly believe that he would refuse to sell them to us?

Nope, not at all. And those that say it will unduly affect us long term are scaremongering :good: They'll carry on a usual, may have a little lull then it'll all return to normal.

Fair enough Mr Green-but would this practise cease?-Did the same transactions exist before yurp?

I have no idea about how the financial markets operate but I'm pretty sure the being a member of the EU makes is simpler and less expensive to trade, move money, employ people and the strength of the economy probably helps bolster trade to other markets, although I could well be wrong.

The EU has in many ways been a success but it is very far from perfect and really needs a massive shake-up and re-evaluation, which is no easy task if you consider just how vast and wide reaching its structures are.

Its not about whether tomatoes are sold to us, our biggest earner from the EU are financial services that are funnelled through the City of London.

That the EU are now trying to legislate so that it moves to the heart of the EU!

I have no idea about how the financial markets operate but I'm pretty sure the being a member of the EU makes is simpler and less expensive to trade, move money, employ people and the strength of the economy probably helps bolster trade to other markets, although I could well be wrong.

The EU has in many ways been a success but it is very far from perfect and really needs a massive shake-up and re-evaluation, which is no easy task if you consider just how vast and wide reaching its structures are.

Why? Mexico has the same trading rights in Europe that we have, as far as I am aware it is not a member of the EU or even in the Eurovision song contest yet Israel is in that).

That the EU are now trying to legislate so that it moves to the heart of the EU!

Why? Mexico has the same trading rights in Europe that we have, as far as I am aware it is not a member of the EU or even in the Eurovision song contest yet Israel is in that).

It may have some of the same trading rights but it doesn't have the same rights to move goods, capital and people freely as EU member states have, you are mixing two different things. Plus they have no control, input or effect on the central bank or the associated financial markets.

Edited by FalconFN

Frankfurt, funny that.

Reading some of the comments on this thread remind me so much of many similar discussion during the Scottish referendum. Lots of polarised views with people determined that their point of view is correct based simply on strength of feeling and very little else.

The EU issue will be exceptionally complex with many significant implications should we vote to leave. The process will take years with masses of legal argument over a multitude of things.

As with anything else countries and large corporates have vested interests and they will seek to get the best possible individual advantage that they can through any secession process, of course that will be true for both British and non British interests. One thing is absolutely certain though is that the remainder of the EU will do their absolute best to disrupt the strength of London's financial markets and try and get some of that for their own. Likewise with manufacturing by people like Nissan, Honda and Toyota in the UK, the EU car makers will seek to influence the rules to prevent these brands selling British manufactured cars on the continent, the UK motor industry employs 250,000 people. There will be hundreds of similar examples, albeit non on quite the same scale.

Another quick example is that the British defence industry is still one of our largest manufacturing sectors and we are the 2nd largest exporter in the world, after the US, and there will be competition from rival countries in the EU that will try and use a Brexit to further their own industries at the cost of ours through shrinking our market share using EU competition rules. We also benefit through alliances in the defence industry with EU partners and that could also be challenged.

The numbers involved in these three examples dwarf the cost of being an EU member.

I very much hope that the information presented by both sides can get beyond flag waving jingoism, destructive nationalism or fear mongering. We need to be given meaningful information that allow us to make a reasoned decision, there will never be any absolutes or certainties, but we should not be leaping into the dark.

I did vote to leave in this poll as I answered honestly based on my current thoughts, but it is very marginal. Had it been the actual vote I would not have been so quick to tick the box.

My vote in this poll was based on the political makeup of the EU and I think it is a dreadful organisation and hugely ineffective, the current migration/refugee crisis has highlighted that perfectly and just a few months ago the Grexit possibility further highlighted just how dysfunctional the cabal is.

Sadly the decision to be made in the referendum is not just based on politics, it has a massive underlying economic consideration and I am entirely uncertain how that may play out. I shall be doing an awful lot of reading and research over the next few months and shall then fly the flag for the side that I will champion.

There is also an added complication for Scottish interests in the EU referendum too and that is very unwelcome from my perspective.

It may have some of the same trading rights but it doesn't have the same rights to move goods, capital and people freely as EU member states have, you are mixing two different things. Plus they have no control, input or effect on the central bank or the associated financial markets.

Trading is the right to move goods! We do not want them to move people, in fact quite a few of us wish that the people who have taken the opportunity to move here would go back (Syrians as well). If we were not in Europe we would not have to fund the central bank and prop that failing currency known as the Euro up, the support of which has caused more severe austerity measures to be taken here to underwrite something we are not part of!

The USA also manages to sell a lot of defence hardware in Europe without being a member of the EU.

Edited by secretagentmole

Out, and fill in our end of the Channel Tunnel, repatriate those that come here and contribute nothing but increase the crime stats, the nhs and welfare state abusers.

My wife is from Europe and pays more tax in a year than some would pay in a lifetime. Would she have to go back? I wonder :-)

If the returned we would have to take back all the uk expats :-(

Out, fast as possible. All this **** about affecting trade is rubbish. Do they really expect us to believe other countries buy off us just because of the free trade agreement ? There's only two reasons they buy from us and not their own country

(A) Only we make it,

or

(B) We're cheaper

No bags from Burbary or coats from Barbour. No cheese from Cheddar or chocolate from cadbury.

Fair enough Mr Green-but would this practise cease?-Did the same transactions exist before yurp?

No they didn't exist in the present form before the days of the EU because its all electronic but the EU would switch most of them through Frankfurt as soon as we pulled out or impose tarriffs on us. They have been jeealous of our Square Mile in the City since day one and have been trying to hijack it for years.

They tried to introduce a transaction tax a couple of years back which was a thinly disguised attack on the City. We we managed to fend it off then as it interfered with free trade but it would be back like a shot. That would cost us dearly

Reading some of the comments on this thread remind me so much of many similar discussion during the Scottish referendum. Lots of polarised views with people determined that their point of view is correct based simply on strength of feeling and very little else.

Exactly Grr, I hope we get a lot more solid information to base our decison on than was the case with the referendum.

No they didn't exist in the present form before the days of the EU because its all electronic but the EU would switch most of them through Frankfurt as soon as we pulled out or impose tarriffs on us. They have been jeealous of our Square Mile in the City since day one and have been trying to hijack it for years.

They tried to introduce a transaction tax a couple of years back which was a thinly disguised attack on the City. We we managed to fend it off then as it interfered with free trade but it would be back like a shot. That would cost us dearly

Switzerland seems to manage ok and do not even mention Luxembourg!

Exactly Grr, I hope we get a lot more solid information to base our decison on than was the case with the referendum.

But you're not going to, you'll get one version off the "ins" and another off the "outs". The truth, as in simple unbiased facts, will never ever come out in public.