Advice needed...

shootgun

Right chaps, i can use some advice as lately a fox is keep wandering through my garden in broad daylight chasing my cat and the neighbours cats as well.

I wasn't too bothered but i just found out it started digging a den in the back of my garden.

What's the best legal method to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance!

1wGKnR9.jpg

D7hbYJq.jpg

9nKDWuQ.jpg

4lZsgzZ.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, far too small. It's only 80cm deep, and 25cm on the sides. I'd be surprised if a fox actually went into it, it's that small.

All my cage traps are 1.2 metres deep (one is 1.5m), and 45cm wide/high.

I'd suggest asking on here about borrowing a suitable trap. You may well find that someone local can lend you one. Once caught, 22LR subsonic to the head will be prefect and fatal.

EDIT : If you've got a 22LR and an open ticket, and the fox is a bother to your neighbours as well, then just shooting it shouldn't be a problem if you speak to the neighbours first. Only you can know how amenable they would be though

Edited by robbiep

Yeah, far too small. It's only 80cm deep, and 25cm on the sides. I'd be surprised if a fox actually went into it, it's that small.

All my cage traps are 1.2 metres deep (one is 1.5m), and 45cm wide/high.

I'd suggest asking on here about borrowing a suitable trap. You may well find that someone local can lend you one. Once caught, 22LR subsonic to the head will be prefect and fatal.

EDIT : If you've got a 22LR and an open ticket, and the fox is a bother to your neighbours as well, then just shooting it shouldn't be a problem if you speak to the neighbours first. Only you can know how amenable they would be though

Thanks, i've got an open ticket but no .22 i'm afraid. My .270 is surely up for the job but a bit too noisy me thinks :lol:

I'm stuck here... :hmm:

Once you've dispatched the fox give that patio table a lick or two of something...looks awfully dry. :)

That's going into the skip soon, i've got a proper folding one... :P

You hold firearms certificates. To use a gun on that fox in those urban surroundings would bring your suitability to own rifles under scrutiny. Call in a local pest control man and let him do it.

It never crosed my mind to use my guns in the garden, hence my post and question about the best legal way to get rid of the fox.

If anything, i'll trap it , took it out in the field where i got permission to shoot over and dispach it with a 12 gauge Mammoth Magnum.

Why does this have to end with it dead?

It is not causing a problem to livestock so why not just trap and let go where it can't cause problems?

Yes I know, this will lead to me being called an anti by all the Rambo wannabees who insist on calling them Charlie as if they are up against the Viet Cong and even do their shopping in camo, but please explain why the animal needs to be killed, or even if it is legal if not causing livestock issues.

Edited by 955i

Why does this have to end with it dead?

It is not causing a problem to livestock so why not just trap and let go where it WILL cause problems?

Yes I know, this will lead to me being called an anti by all the Rambo wannabees who insist on calling them Charlie as if they are up against the Viet Cong and even do their shopping in camo, but please explain why the animal needs to be killed, or even if it is legal if not causing livestock issues.

Sorted that for you. :lol:

If you read again my original post, you'll see that i just want to get rid of it , not necesarilly to kill it. But i don't mind, if i have to.

On a more serious note if you just want rid good fences are a step forward. Clean bins, no chickens, pet mess etc is the way to go. A fox isn't going to climb into a garden if there is **** all there for it. Was told years ago (by my gamekeeper boss) that they don't like the smell of human urine so we always tried to relive ourselves around the release pens. Might upset you neighbours unless your discreet in a garden though.

Sorted that for you. :lol:

No, you didn't!

If you read again my original post, you'll see that i just want to get rid of it , not necesarilly to kill it. But i don't mind, if i have to.

Didn't mean you bud, meant all the mentallists who claim a dead fox is a good fox, no matter whether they are an issue in the area or not.

Biggest thing they can shoot without DLC so think every one shot gives them an extra boillock

No, you didn't!

Didn't mean you bud, meant all the mentallists who claim a dead fox is a good fox, no matter whether they are an issue in the area or not.

Biggest thing they can shoot without DLC so think every one shot gives them an extra boillock

I might be wrong but from what I have read this is an urban fox. 955i do you think it is humane to catch and release said fox into the countryside where it has no hunting experience? I have found that urban fox's are unused to going hungry and soon turn to domestic stock as their source of food.

I might be wrong but from what I have read this is an urban fox. 955i do you think it is humane to catch and release said fox into the countryside where it has no hunting experience? I have found that urban fox's are unused to going hungry and soon turn to domestic stock as their source of food.

I disagree, the fox is just what it is.

There is a lot of nonsense spouted on here about 'urban' foxes.

The fact that they are moving into urban areas does not mean they cannot survive anywhere else.

They are hugely adaptable animals as has been seen and your suggestion is just another excuse to kill something IMO