Beretta side by sides

sishyplops

Hi one and all

I have a hankering for a beretta side by side and would like your views on them, what is the difference between the 470 and a 471, also is it the same with the more modern o/u's that the older 626 is a better gun, not interested in the 486 as too pricy.

Or is there a viable alternative for under £2k ?

I'm not overly fussed about single trigger and would buy a double trigger over a single if I'm honest

Thanks

For that kind of money you could buy a nice vintage English gun-most likely a decent sidelock-if you buy wisely then the guns value will increase year by year and you will be enjoying a taste of the finest guns ever made.

bruno...me thinks you have been hibernating.........show me a nice english sidelock for under 2k and i'll show you its problems......need 4k+ these days sadly.

I had a couple of Winchester 23's a year or two ago but sold them on. I was in my mate's workshop yesterday, he's a gunsmith, and he had one in for repair. After the usual trying it up for size etc it did make me wonder whether one should grace my cabinet again. I quite like the Beretta 470/471 too, single trigger though.

The Beretta 486 is made by Fausti , so possibly look at Fausti side by sides ,should be cheaper without the Beretta name

Breda made an identical copy of the 626 (and the 686 o/u) so another to look for

My preference would be for a Miroku , boxlock or sidelock

I sold this one earlier this year http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/309440-miroku-12-gauge/

There are some MS150 models out there still in mint/excellent condition..in my opinion the equal or better than Beretta

Browning put a single trigger in this action and beavertail fore end and called it the BSS Sporter..they do come up for sale once in a while

Thanks chaps, I think I'm with Welsh warrior on this and am going to start looking for a 471, 28" multichoke preferred if anyone knows of one anywhere for sale, must have the slim game forend not the clumpy great forend thing like the model 23, (sorry just don't like them)

Edited by sishyplops

I would go with the AYA or even a nice English boxlock (a lot of these around at present at very little money). I have owned AYA nos. 1 and 2 sidelocks and a 626EELL. I did not like the handling of the Beretta and even after having it fitted, I could not hit the proverbial cows bum. The AYA's always handled better. Back in 1970 I got the offer of a superb Westley Richards, I sold the AYA to fund it. This in turn was fitted by Westley's and I have never shot so well at game with any other gun. Downside, cost of repairs on a 100 year old gun, 2 1/2" chambers, 6lbs. 2ozs. weight (no Eley Maximums here) and of course, NO STEEL, but not much else really. I only shoot 3 or 4 game days now and 28 or at most 30 grams, are more than capable for the birds that I am shooting at. Good thing about the AYA, is it's ability to handle 2 3/4" cartridges and I would not feel too unhappy putting steel through it. Oh, and should you need any parts, they are readily available to buy and although you may need gunsmith to fit them, he does NOT have to make them.

I have the 626e been trying to sell it for about 2 years, but every time I pull it out the cabinet or take it shooting I remember why I love it so much. Very good gun. However that said I would love it that much more with a 3" chamber and multichoke. Even better if I could put hp steel down it. If I had the cash I would consider the 471. Good luck in your choice.

I would go with the AYA or even a nice English boxlock (a lot of these around at present at very little money). I have owned AYA nos. 1 and 2 sidelocks and a 626EELL. I did not like the handling of the Beretta and even after having it fitted, I could not hit the proverbial cows bum. The AYA's always handled better. Back in 1970 I got the offer of a superb Westley Richards, I sold the AYA to fund it. This in turn was fitted by Westley's and I have never shot so well at game with any other gun. Downside, cost of repairs on a 100 year old gun, 2 1/2" chambers, 6lbs. 2ozs. weight (no Eley Maximums here) and of course, NO STEEL, but not much else really. I only shoot 3 or 4 game days now and 28 or at most 30 grams, are more than capable for the birds that I am shooting at. Good thing about the AYA, is it's ability to handle 2 3/4" cartridges and I would not feel too unhappy putting steel through it. Oh, and should you need any parts, they are readily available to buy and although you may need gunsmith to fit them, he does NOT have to make them.

I have an AYA No 2, 28gr is a nice load, most 30gr loads are unpleasant. Eley GP was just about usuable.

Have handled but not fired a Beretta SBS, on what I saw personally I would prefer it to my AYA. I do though use a 687 all the while so I suppose that helps.

A