Tom hanks.

Pistol p

I was listening to the film reviews this afternoon and have heard that Tom hanks is going to be playing the role of Chesley Sullenberger in an upcoming role. This, I presume, will be based around the actions of the airline pilot who carried out an emergency landing on the river Hudson in which all the passengers and crew survived.

Strange thing is when I heard about it I thought ,"yeah, that makes sense. Who else could pull that off."

I hold Tom hanks in high regard as an actor and really like the films and productions that he has been involved in. Is there anyone else that you folks find as fulfilling as an actor these days?

And, no, this is not a man crush type thing I'm going through.

WHEN he comes out of hiding and does a film, Daniel day Lewis is absolutely magnificent! He's like a vintage whisky that comes out for the special occasions. His performances in gangs of New York and there will be blood are just on another planet. A method actor at its finest. You can't help but love Hank's and his high regard is testament to his skills but day Lewis is in another league.

I regard Tom Hanks as his generations Henry Fonda or James Stewart; typical clean cut all American hero. The only difference being is that neither Hanks nor Stewart were ever really convincing as baddies, especially Hanks in Road to Perdition, more of a baddie Lite, whereas the last thing anyone expected when the camera panned up to reveal who had just shot a child in Once Upon a Time in the West, was Henry Fonda.

Hanks will go down as one of Hollywoods all time greats, and close on his heels is, in my opinion, Leonardo De Caprio. Before you start laughing, have a think about his roles and how he's played them. Ok, he can be forgiven for Titanic, much as Hanks can be forgiven for Turner and Hooch, but from Blood Diamond to The Aviator and from The Great Gatsby to The Departed, he is one seriously talented actor.

Scorsese wouldn't consider him otherwise. Anyone who hasn't seen him in the Wolf of Wall Street is missing out.

There are only a few truly iconic actors in Hollywood history, but I think I can agree Hanks may be among them.

Edited by Scully

I regard Tom Hanks as his generations Henry Fonda or James Stewart; typical clean cut all American hero. The only difference being is that neither Hanks nor Stewart were ever really convincing as baddies, especially Hanks in Road to Perdition, more of a baddie Lite, whereas the last thing anyone expected when the camera panned up to reveal who had just shot a child in Once Upon a Time in the West, was Henry Fonda.

Hanks will go down as one of Hollywoods all time greats, and close on his heels is, in my opinion, Leonardo De Caprio. Before you start laughing, have a think about his roles and how he's played them. Ok, he can be forgiven for Titanic, much as Hanks can be forgiven for Turner and Hooch, but from Blood Diamond to The Aviator and from The Great Gatsby to The Departed, he is one seriously talented actor.

Scorsese wouldn't consider him otherwise. Anyone who hasn't seen him in the Wolf of Wall Street is missing out.

There are only a few truly iconic actors in Hollywood history, but I think I can agree Hanks may be among them.

I agree with most of that cept the last bit. Hanks is in my opinion just a lucky actor, lucky to be given certain sure fire roles which made him stick in our consciousness, Saving Private Ryan and Forrest Gump are just two of them, for me he simply lacks the facial character and screen presence and the magic of Daniel Day Lewis, De Niro, Pacino, De Caprio, Sean Penn, etc, etc.

Di Caprio is very very good in almost everything he tackles despite having that baby face. There is nothing I wouldn't want to watch again with those mentioned already but plenty with Hanks that make me cringe.