Dementia

Arley

Hi Guys,

After some advice please, as any one got any experience of a family member who has a shotgun certificate having dementia? Its early days and we are waiting for test results but it doesn't look good.

I presume he will have to give his certificate up?

Any advice would be helpful

Thank you

Matt

They are coming to test him at home on Monday and he should have scans on Thursday. Dad had a couple of strokes about 10 years ago and they think it may be linked to that? Horrible disease, I have just had a 10 minute phone conversation with him and he was on the ball as normal. But this morning he couldn't remember how to unlock the front door.

Thankfully my Father knew things weren't right and didn't want guns in the house. He surrendered his certificate voluntarily.

The family would have persuaded him to do so otherwise.

I would suggest this course of action is better both in terms of safety and to avoid the stress of being forced to give up something against his will.

Rightly so his consultant was quite hot on the issue and they will act swiftly by informing the FIrearms Officer if they deem it necessary.

I empathise with the situation.

There are several different types of dementia..............get him onto medication as quickly as possible....doctors drag their feet on this.........my wife was a disaster area before medication...then finally i got her onto Donepezil Hydrochloride...within 5 days the results were amazing.....it took me 6 mths to get her onto medication after diagnosis....so really badger them................if you want anymore information PM me

My father has early stages of dementia and, yes, based on doctors advice did not renew his certificate when it expired six months ago. Not much of an issue with my dad as he is 82 and hasn't shot for a good few years.

What upset him the most was being told he had to surrender his driving licence too. Apparently he was told he could apply for a retest, but he knew deep down that he wouldn't pass.

Very sad, as others have said. Hope you have a positive outcome.

I presume some less than helpful posts have been removed, I sympathize Arley, good luck, I hope it works out for you.

yes mine was , I was the first to condemn it , but for some reason it has been deleted

Good luck , when looking after my wife's uncle things could change through the day .

We were told some people can't understand time ,others places and distance, my grannie would put her electric kettle on the cooker and didn't really get pain when she sat with a broken arm .

I'd be proactive with the guns perhaps move them to your ticket.

I wish you and your Dad all the best. Hope you still get some time with the man you know.

John.

Nan has dimentia for 10 years now, the best description I heard to understand it was to imagine throughout your life all your memories were books which you made into a big pile, dimentia begins by throwing away the books from the top and slowly works its way down to the bottom of the pile. I think as already mentioned I would try and get the guns moved to your ticket and covertly supervise any further shooting trips so you can better judge what is going on, I didn't catch any of the offensive comments but knowing how this illness works I feel I should apologise on behalf of the idiots concerned as they clearly have no experience of this whatsoever, it's a long and difficult road you face and the only consolation is that the person suffering seems to have no idea what is going on. I wish you and yours all the best for the future, please feel free to use the PM system if you feel the need to chat or vent

My dad had been getting "vague" for a few years, but at about 18 months ago he had a fall and banged his head on some flagstones. Even his hospital he was seeing things but after he came back home he get worse very quickly - regularly seeing friends and family from many years back outside the lounge windows. Late last year it got too bad for my mum who was also in her 90's to look after him as he took to wandering out of the house at night, leaving saucepans on the stove that sort of thing. He went into an excellent care home for the last few months of his life where they took great care of him. Sadly my last memory of him is visiting him in January this year and he had no idea who I was. He passed away a the end of January this year. All I can say is keep strong.

My Dad had dementia and sadly passed away last year after battling with it for over five years. As soon as he was diagnosed with it he had to give up his shot gun, firearms and driving license. Different dementias affect people in different ways but no matter which you have losing the a shotgun or firearms license is always a must.

At the holiday farm I run in Wales we are going to run week breaks for people with dementia to help them keep in touch with farming, country sports and pastimes and one area we are trying to develop is clay shooting. They will be breaks for the whole family and aimed at supporting the career as much as the dementia sufferer. As a charity we hope to run these breaks all year round but demand will see how we go.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as it can be a tough journey but there is a lot of help out there on-line and in the community. If you need any advice or help then please just ask as we have people at the charity that will be able to sign-post you to people who may be able to help and who will be able to provide support.