Scopes from the USA

warren

The problem is billy it's a lot more than a few bob I can save well over £100 on a new zeiss

£100 saving might soon be wiped out if they hit you with a big import duty, suggest you look into this more closely. Plus as said any problems might be a nightmare to sort out.

I tried to buy some reloading scales from over there and they wouldn't even ship them here :(

I'm happy to take a chance with the postage the firm is on the bay with good feedback and has said he will post it as a gift ? Not sure if this makes a defferance. Was hopeing to find someone who had fine it

There is no such thing as a gift, its a popular misconception but gifts are definitely not exempt from import duty. However, this time of year you might just get away with them being to busy to process all the parcels and then they let the lower value ones through. To be honest its so random its a lottery.

Other time we have been grossly overcharged on duty and there is nothing you can do, there is no appeal process unless you have an import licence.

We have imported lots of Hawke scopes from China and never had a bad one, also never been charged duty, I don't understand how that works but it does.

The only ITAR restrictions on scopes is that they are not designed for military use or have electronic image enhancement, magnification isn't limited. Scopes being exported for sale from the UK to elsewhere have a limit of 4x max, however if they are for your own use and you're emigrating with your firearms you can take them with you.

You can work out the imported price quite simply,

Cost of scope (including shipping and insurance)

Add import duty @ 14.9%

Add VAT @ 20%

Add handling fee for whoever delivers it and there you are :)

For a list of import duties on scopes look here, http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-rifle-scope/

As to bringing stuff back in your luggage, the Duty Free limit for goods being brought into the UK from the USA is £390 per person.

Have a look at http://www.optics-trade.eu/uk/ they are in the EU so no import duty or Vat to pay on their prices.

And you'd probably get stung with import duty too.

True brought a NV Gen 1 back in 2003 and got stung by import duty,Plus I had the hassell of them sending me the wrong unit and charging my account twice.Paid on card and the card company sorted it out.

hth

Den

im looking at a meopta at the minute from usa,it is cheaper,plus you cant get this model in the uk,but i know from past experience i will be hit with import duties,which will take the price up by £100ish,but looking at prices on other models over here it will still be cheaper than current uk models.its a case of "you pays ya money and takes ya chance"

i purchased a leupold vxr 3-9 x 50 ballistic milldot last year, at the same time me mate had got one in the uk and paid £700, i paid £350 brand new from a shop online for mine from america and worked out at £480 with the with the import duty, vat and handling fee. saved £220 had to wait a month for delivery, seller said he had to apply for export lisense to uk which he said was standard for export outside america. sending as a gift tries to evade import duty etc, in my own experience and i have imported loads of stuff from america is that there is a high probability it will get processed and duty etc will have to be paid. do not know how you would get on if paperwork on entry was not up to scratch and personally would not take that risk, could go horribly pear shaped. as said i purchased off the bay and was a reputable seller in america that clearly stated paperwork would be applied for and no evasion would be attempted to get it to my doorstep in the uk. still saved a good wad of cash. no problems encountered and am actually considering buying another leupold scope from america again as the saving was that good. for me it may have been an easier decision to make as i have said i have previously imported many other things so was comfortable with the process to a part. i can only speak from personal experience.

atb 7diaw

That's good news, can I ask what seller you used please or a web address would be great as like you said the savings are worth the hassle

That's good news, can I ask what seller you used please or a web address would be great as like you said the savings are worth the hassle

hi warren here is a link to the seller i used, just checked out one scope and saving of £200 than buying here before usual taxes etc, on this scope you would probably save about £115. as said the scope i purchased gave me a significant saving. this seller does have some zeiss scopes for sale if you check out all items he sell. i had to wait a little longer than expected as seller told me he was waiting for it to come into stock. if you cannot see the scope you want i would contact the seller and see if he can provide the exact scope you want and negotoiate a price, he was very helpful. always do due diligence, check out feedback from other scope buyers from this seller, contact them via the bay,see what their experience was, check the bay protection for yourself etc. as stated i can only vouch for my personal experience that i had as a one time purchase from this seller. hope this information helps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LEUPOLD-VX-R-3-9-x-40mm-BALLISTIC-FIREDOT-RIFLE-SCOPE-111236-RIFLESCOPE-/381015436906?hash=item58b64a2e6a:g:g6IAAOxyuR5TYJWf#shpCntId

atb 7diaw