Hornady 17 vmax issues?

Evening guys has anyone had any issues with these before? I was out lamping the other night and noticed on a couple of rounds that the ballistic went off before teaching it's intended target?

Also on a couple others there's been a hell of a lot of smoke where others have just shot as per normal?

I used this round for ages now as never had an issue until I bought 500 the other day

Cheers rob

I've never had any issues with rounds until now, maybe it's just a duff batch?

Some rounds are all over the shop yet other are dead on.

I can't use them on live quarry until I'm certain everyone is bang on. But some were throwing out a lot of smoke and others the ballistics just setting of no way near the target

Cheers rov

had major issues with one batch with the bullet pulling out in the chamber after a miss fire manufacturing fault apparently , the batch was exchanged and fine ever since.Only noticed when trying to chamber another round in the dark had to poke the stuck round out with a cleaning rod it happened 3 or 4 times in two boxes of 50.I was told in the shop that only one or two company load 17 hmr so would have thought this would have happened across several brands. Did hear of a t-bolt owner (i think) managing to get one behind the other

Yup, got rid of mine for all the above. The concept is fine, but the ammo issues are just too extreme. From fussy and inconsistent to frankly bloody dangerous!!! My 22rf wiped its eye on accuracy, cost of ammunition, personal safety, noise level, more accurate out to 120yards, beyond that, hmr as a bunny round?.......well drive/walk closer!!

Edited by turbo33

Wouldn't chop mine having said all that, cheap CZ model, thousand of rounds and thousands of bunnies consistently shoots buns at 150/170 yrds in the summer off the high seat :good: best one ranged at 228 yrds inconsistent in the slightest wind or rain though.Have had a few funny smokey rounds but cleaned the moderator (sak) and fine again there was quite a lot of sooty residue

I'd just like to add a different perspective.

I've put at least 5K rounds through my Annie 1517 DHBG walnut classic .17HMR.

Faultless. No problems whatsoever. I must be very lucky by the sound of things.

You're not the only one, I was out this morning with my cheap and nasty CZ452, and hitting 2" target at 170 yards. Only ever had one hang fire in about 1300 rounds and that was about 4 years ago.

I had a crappy box of bullets or at least that was my excuse for a few easy misses! Never had a squib. Had a misfire that once and a few smokey rounds. And occasionally you get one that seems to have a bit of a louder bang but that was all one batch of bullets. But when I do my job right it does the job perfectly well for me. Love my little CZ if I could only keep one of my guns I'd keep it.

I had a crappy box of bullets or at least that was my excuse for a few easy misses! Never had a squib. Had a misfire that once and a few smokey rounds. And occasionally you get one that seems to have a bit of a louder bang but that was all one batch of bullets. But when I do my job right it does the job perfectly well for me. Love my little CZ if I could only keep one of my guns I'd keep it.

They are rubbish, I am seriously thinking about selling my 77/17 rugger and going for a 17 remmington.

:hmm::hmm: :hmm:

A HMR at circa 2500ft sec and 245ft lbs., and a .17 Rem, at circa 4000ft sec and heading towards 1000ft lb are totally different animals.

That is a monstrous leap, oh yes, and the factory ammo costs £39.24 x 20 = £1.96 Each at the Gunshop at the moment for .17 Rem, and around £12.95 x 50 =£0.26p Each for Hornady V-Max HMR at Dauntsey. So Each factory .17Rem shot is roughly 8x the cost of a HMR round!

I've never had an issue until now.

Put thousands through it it's only a cz452, all of which have been horady

Sounds like lots have had the same issues

Cheers rob

I struggle to understand why the .17HMR ammo issues are not pinned.

This goes round and round, HMR ammo issues (all brands) are well known and unlikely to ever be resolved with current technology. On top of already known issues, you are bound to get the odd batch problem, that is possible with any calibre and ammo!

There are those that have had issues and those who have not. I have had a couple of hang fires and well over 100 split cases, I have never had a squid load, others have, ok be careful, but also remember the HMR is very popular, serves a purpose and has a place.

I have .22lr, HMR, WMR as well as several centrefires, shotguns and Air rifles/pistols, I have no plans to get rid of my HMR!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

:hmm::hmm: :hmm:

A HMR at circa 2500ft sec and 245ft lbs., and a .17 Rem, at circa 4000ft sec and heading towards 1000ft lb are totally different animals.

That is a monstrous leap, oh yes, and the factory ammo costs £39.24 x 20 = £1.96 Each at the Gunshop at the moment for .17 Rem, and around £12.95 x 50 =£0.26p Each for Hornady V-Max HMR at Dauntsey. So Each factory .17Rem shot is roughly 8x the cost of a HMR round!

Yes that's about all correct, do I need one, probably not, do I want one, well of course I do. Who do I need to convince ? Well just my firearm department.

If I counted the pennies every time a bullet left the muzzle of any of my rifles I would pack up and join the dominoes team down the local.

;-) x

Maybe my CZ 452 just had bad attitude, only liked the ammo I couldn't get, unpredictable in anything but a still summers evening and didn't flatten fox's unless a head shot was possible ( and of course that would have to be when the weather replicated the summer evenings conditions or well under 100yds). I'm sure there are many hmr's out there that do all the things my didn't do but now I have my Hornet with a nice accurate homeload that I can control the quality of just one word springs to mind of the calibre, for me anyway, Fad :yahoo:

Redgum,

When I bought mine it was the best thing since the invention of soft toilet tissue. It was what everyone needed, a flat,accurate shooting round suitable for rabbits giving further reach than the 22lr and closish fox's, Cheap to run and reasonably quiet compared to the small center fires.

Mine in its early years gave me those things, but allas in its later years I found it inconsistent, in every way that I was at first attracted to it.

Hence me looking at other options. A shame because at first it fullfilled it's promises.

Redgum,

When I bought mine it was the best thing since the invention of soft toilet tissue. It was what everyone needed, a flat,accurate shooting round suitable for rabbits giving further reach than the 22lr and closish fox's, Cheap to run and reasonably quiet compared to the small center fires.

Mine in its early years gave me those things, but allas in its later years I found it inconsistent, in every way that I was at first attracted to it.

Hence me looking at other options. A shame because at first it fullfilled it's promises.

Pretty much how my relationship went with the HMR, I bought the CZ with 50 rnds of federal powershock, the same in Remington and Hornaday but the Federal outclassed the rest by miles. Some great outings on long summer evenings, one evening taking 12 bunnies in less than half an hour without moving, the noise didn't seem to bother them at all and the furthest was around 160yds. I loved the rifle, until Federal powershock seemed to dry up and the weather changed, cci's worked ok but most RFD's just stocked Hornaday and it just didn't shoot well. I changed scopes, changed moderators, did the trigger but it was just not consistant. Now you could say,'well you should learn to shoot' but I would zero side by side with my 243 and 308, the centrefires are comfortingly accurate so you can feel confident dialling in windage etc. My .22lr was always spot on and now my Hornet, you need to feel confident with the rifle your shooting and the Hmr just didn't give that feeling.

Mine too did well with the feds.

I had my visit Thursday for my renewal. And I requested a 1 4 1 for my HMR to a 17 cf and asked about the HMR's popularity. I was told allot of folk are having 1 4 1 and going for hornets.and not many actually asking for the HMR on.a variation or 1st application.

Round prices have steadily crept up which i think is putting people off. In the summer i can get though 2 sometimes 3 boxes a night at £10.99 a box in the summer with no return on my shooting,but it is a super rifle/round on the right night (very still).My whole set up only cost £348 new if my memory serves me right and iv'e shot 7500/8000 rabbits in 9 years

Evening guys has anyone had any issues with these before? I was out lamping the other night and noticed on a couple of rounds that the ballistic went off before teaching it's intended target?

Also on a couple others there's been a hell of a lot of smoke where others have just shot as per normal?

I used this round for ages now as never had an issue until I bought 500 the other day

Cheers rob

Just out of interest, what's the batch number for the ammo?