drunk driver

armsid

Banning a driver does not stop them from driving again. A four times banned driver (for drink driving, then driving whilst disqualified) took the lives of my 14 year old son and his friend. The driver had received his fourth ban only 3 weeks before. I'm not sorry to say that the driver also died at the scene.

If you get caught drink/driving, then you should receive a ban. IF you are caught driving whilst disqualified, then a long term prison sentence should be mandatory. It may not stop the person from driving again when he/she is released, but at least other's would be safe when they are locked up, as would have my son and his friend.

I will add that I have personally reported 3 drivers who were driving whilst intoxicated/banned.. Two I knew, and the other staggered out of a fish & chip shop and straight into his vehicle.

Banning a driver does not stop them from driving again. A four times banned driver (for drink driving, then driving whilst disqualified) took the lives of my 14 year old son and his friend. The driver had received his fourth ban only 3 weeks before. I'm not sorry to say that the driver also died at the scene.

If you get caught drink/driving, then you should receive a ban. IF you are caught driving whilst disqualified, then a long term prison sentence should be mandatory. It may not stop the person from driving again when he/she is released, but at least other's would be safe when they are locked up, as would have my son and his friend.

I will add that I have personally reported 3 drivers who were driving whilst intoxicated. Two I knew, and the other staggered out of a fish & chip shop and straight into his vehicle.

I cannot imagine how I would feel in similar circumstances and your comment is both reasonable and dignified. People like yourself need to be listened to as you are far more qualified to set policy than those fortunate enough not to have shared similar experiences. You and your family have my deepest sympathy.

I cannot imagine how I would feel in similar circumstances and your comment is both reasonable and dignified. People like yourself need to be listened to as you are far more qualified to set policy than those fortunate enough not to have shared similar experiences. You and your family have my deepest sympathy.

Thank You. I tried many times, through speaking to my local MP (total waste of space!) and through other's to get a law passed so that a mandatory custodial sentence would be given. Nothing came of it.

Steve, Im sorry mate I did not know about this. I lost a son and there is not a day goes by. Its the first thing you think about every morning when you wake up and the last thing you think about before you sleep.

Very true Vince. My son has been gone now for almost 13 years. Life goes on though, and personally, I live each day as it comes.

My condolences for the loss of your son.

I will add that I have personally reported 3 drivers who were driving whilst intoxicated/banned.. Two I knew, and the other staggered out of a fish & chip shop and straight into his vehicle.

This man speaks sense . Banning does not work .ive met several people who drive while banned and the excuse was ?? Well how else am I going to get around?

Walk ???

Steve,so sorry to hear of your loss but how do these people get off do lightly.If you get behind the wheel drunk or drugged up then you know what your doing so if you take a life it should be classed as murder.My friend got dragged for over 1/4ml under a drunk white van man on a friday evening.In court it was said that White van man went straight to the pub after leaving work early at 1pm.My mate was dead at the scene at 8.30pm.Shockingly no custodial just a 3yr ban. Should be a zero tollerance on drinking.

Any drink driver should be banned for life sod this never do it again bull ****

And the first thing they do as they walk from a court is open the car door and drive home, people who drink drive have no shame

Get caught again and chop the right hand and foot off

Edited by bullet1747

Because to prove drink driving you need to have some evidence of driving. There are a myriad of ways to defend that case. If you can't prove the driving then you might get the 'in charge' home but this leads us back to the original problem - have they driven. If you can't prove it then the sentences are substancially lighter (discretionary disqualification rather than mandatory). The level doesn't matter as much to the court in a non-driving case. Hence what looks like a pretty light sentence but is much stiffer than I have ever seen for a non-driving case.

To their credit the old bill do keep a lookout for disqualified drivers

A friends father borrowed his car and was stopped over the limit . The car then has a marker put on the police database .

My mate was so feed up being pulled over every few days, he changed the number plates.

Because to prove drink driving you need to have some evidence of driving. There are a myriad of ways to defend that case. If you can't prove the driving then you might get the 'in charge' home but this leads us back to the original problem - have they driven. If you can't prove it then the sentences are substancially lighter (discretionary disqualification rather than mandatory). The level doesn't matter as much to the court in a non-driving case. Hence what looks like a pretty light sentence but is much stiffer than I have ever seen for a non-driving case.

According to the report, the police were called because of an accident "A Met police spokeswoman said: “We were called at 9.03am on Tuesday January 5 to reports of a road traffic accident. Both cars had stopped at the scene. No-one was injured. Officers attended the scene and a woman aged 41 was arrested for drink driving" How can the police say this was a non-driving offence? Something not right here - surely there were witnesses?

You are making a few assumptions there. The first is that it is witnessed. The second is that the "accident" (I saw another newspaper quote it as "incident") occurred between two moving cars. Third, that there was indeed an accident and fourth that the police made the decision it was non-driving.