Tumble dryer warning

crichbish

A friend of mine has a dryer that's only 5 weeks old and started smoking while in use, engineer said it's not one of the affected models and couldn't find anything wrong but it happened again a week later, this time they want to charge to look at it!

That's a job for

Rejecting it under SoG or whatever it is now under 6 months old their issue, they have attempted repair it has failed now reject as not for for purpose.....

Could be the bearing at the back of the drum has worn,easy to replace and cheap.However if the spindle that runs in it has been damaged it will run through the new bearing in no time.

The bearing was completely worn through, but an eBay sourced replacement was only £3.55, and a 5 minute job to replace. The shaft is OK, but even if it wasn't, they are less than £10 to replace.

So I may have got the thing working well before the engineer comes out to assess if it is safe.

PS It is now completely fluff-free

Got an e mail this morning saying repair december or a replacement for 59quid .As its 7years old decided on the replacment .I followed the instructions and at the end it came up error on filling in the form. They arnt answering the phone either. Any one remember the flights to america saga. Shower of ######

my tumble dryer was one of the affected.

I was given two options.

1/ wait until June 16 for a engineer to repair.

2/ as mine was over 1 year old I could pay £59.00 and they would deliver, install and take the old one away.

As mine was 2 years old I took option 2 and a new one was delivered within one week.

The new one comes with a standard warranty and was the upgraded one to my original model.

If you have the option be aware the replacement dryer models do change depending on there stock, so if you want to get the replacement just check there web site daily and a newer and better model may come up.

We were offered choice of condensing or vented (went for vented) - I only got the website to work on Internet Explorer not on Chrome though. Delivered early yesterday, when they said they would.

Replacing a 10 yr old so-called fire hazard (which was taken away too), with a new greater capacity machine for £60 was a no-brainer.

My missis went on Hotpoint's face ache page, there's a post on there about the problem. She commented on the post, said she's disappointed in the service and lack of contact from them. Having a new condensing dryer that potentially could cause a fire and with a new baby in the house we needed a dryer lots and their recommendation to not go out and leave the dryer on was not very practical. She got a message back in a couple of days asking for the model and serial number. Because our's was still in the guarantee period they're sending us a new dryer and taking the old one away next week.

Some info for you all. 5.4m that fall in the date range that could be affected 3.4m letters sent to customer's who's info is on file 1.7m have replied 250k replaced so far, swapping 80-100 k a month 0.014% chance that the tumble will be affected.

Edited by fse10