Dog shot dead

Remember, if you are shooting with the farmers permission and you see a dog worrying livestock,

you will be doing the farmer a favour by shooting it. Always assuming the dog is not belonging to the

farmer of course. We keep a lot of livestock, but no dogs and would hope the syndicate members would shoot

on sight in those circumstances

That I think could be opening a can of worms and would not be something I would do.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Siberian Husky IS the breed closest to a wolf. Recent DNA testing proves the Siberian is one of the oldest breeds in the world. The way a dog gradually came from a wolf happened like this. The early paleolithic peoples always had wolves following camp. They accepted the most docile wolves near camp. They bred the most docile wolves, with other docile wolves. And over many generations came the dog. They used a process called "selective breeding". They bred the dogs with the qualities they liked most. Like all domesticated animals, the desired qualities and traits were kept for breeding, and the rest were not allowed to reproduce. Very few domesticated dog breeds can withstand temperatures of 60 below. This can only come from the wolf."

If the above is true then surely ALL breeds should have the exact same wolf DNA, as all come from the same source?

The huskies have more wolf like features or wolf phenotypes than other dogs as they have been selcetively bred for those qualites just as a lab has been selectively bred for its qualities.

Both have been selectively bred to achieve wot ever u require in the breed, but in theory should still have the exact same ammount of wolf dna. The only way u can reduce the ammount of wolf dna would be to outcross it to another species that produces fertile offspring

A few weeks ago I had a conversation with a college who owns a Staffordshire bull. What happened was along the lines of dog off lead and chasing sheep, farmer threatens to shoot dog if its not under control and on lead, the dog was put on a lead and the situation was resolved. The nympty I work with is adamant that "IF HIS DOG HAD BEEN SHOT FOR CHASING SHEEP" he would burn the farmers tractors and barns! I could not get through to him that the problem was his failure to control his dog. Some people have no respect for others and their property.

A few weeks ago I had a conversation with a college who owns a Staffordshire bull. What happened was along the lines of dog off lead and chasing sheep, farmer threatens to shoot dog if its not under control and on lead, the dog was put on a lead and the situation was resolved. The nympty I work with is adamant that "IF HIS DOG HAD BEEN SHOT FOR CHASING SHEEP" he would burn the farmers tractors and barns! I could not get through to him that the problem was his failure to control his dog. Some people have no respect for others and their property.

Some people you will never get through too.. Like the owner or max, he was timid and scared or fireworks... How Could he attack sheep... Any breed is capable of doing it...

Agree with all the above.

This type of dog with it's beautiful coat, bright eyes and eager expression may look like a living, breathing, soft toy, but in reality they're not as cuddly as they look. There's plenty of wolf in their heritage which gives them tremendous endurance for dog sled work but also a strong instinct to run down and kill prey. If there's any type of dog that needs proper training and strict control it's Huskies and their derivatives.

Based on what I see around, my opinion is that at least 80% of dog owners haven't the first idea about keeping dogs under control.

I agree with what you say about the breed. My brother keeps Malamuts and his old dog, Bex, would run down a rabbit then throw back his head and down it in one. Incredible to see, I have never seen any other dog do that. Lots of wolf DNA there, but people don't realise what they have

If the above is true then surely ALL breeds should have the exact same wolf DNA, as all come from the same source?

The huskies have more wolf like features or wolf phenotypes than other dogs as they have been selcetively bred for those qualites just as a lab has been selectively bred for its qualities.

Both have been selectively bred to achieve wot ever u require in the breed, but in theory should still have the exact same ammount of wolf dna. The only way u can reduce the ammount of wolf dna would be to outcross it to another species that produces fertile offspring

There is a theory that both dogs and wolves have a common ancestor (the Taymar wolf) that the two groups diverged from maybe as much as 40,000 years ago. So modern dog breeds may not actually have that much wolf DNA in them at all. http://news.discovery.com/animals/pets/dogs-not-as-close-kin-to-wolves-as-thought-140116.htm

That`s a pretty simple article on the subject. If you fancy a crack at something more detailed there`s always the Wiki page on the subject. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog

Edit, misread and being pedantic

Edited by kyska

Just a thought , if I was out on the farmers land and a dog started to attack the sheep am I in my rights to do this for the farmer

I believe that may, at least in part, depend on what you shot it with. IIRC using a shotgun would be ok but if using a rifle then you need a condition on your FAC.

Not 100% sure though but I`m sure I`ve read it on here before.

Edit:

The above is correct.

However it`s a bit of a minefield, even for farmers. Not sure I`d want to risk it with only shooting permission. A good summation of it here.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/farm-life/your-legal-rights-on-shooting-dogs-on-your-land.htm

Edited by Danger-Mouse

Just a thought , if I was out on the farmers land and a dog started to attack the sheep am I in my rights to do this for the farmer

In my opinion, as a sheep farmer, I'd say you'd be in trouble, theyre not your property to protect, tricky situation to be in if it happened!