Success in the fog

cloudwalker

I had not ventured out this winter looking for pigeons on the Rape. Firstly because it had been so wet and I knew that I would just cut up the field edges or get stuck! Secondly reading all the reports on here, It just didn't seem worth it.

Today I thought I would give it ago. The ground I was going to shoot was a 40 minute drive away and I hadn't been over there since September. It was a slow old drive as the fog was thick. I arrived at 9.00am and pulled into the field. At first I thought it hadn't been drilled or the crop had failed large tracks of the field were just brown. It was only upon closer inspection that I realised the field had been absolutely hammered by the Pigeon.

The field is massive 80 acres at least. I couldn't see any pigeon in the air but did spot about 30 huddled up in a tree. After much pondering I decide to give it a go despite there being nothing in the air . I set up in my favorite spot. I had shot this field for 20 years so knew all the flight lines. I was in my hide for 10.00 with my wirly, Turbo flapper and 16 fuds set out in front. The pigeon started to come in from all directions out of the fog. I didn't know which way to look. By 11am I had shot 2 boxes of shells and picked up 33 pigeon. The fog started to lift and things started to slow a little but by 12.30 I had shot 100 shells.

Things really started to slow down and my shooting went down hill but what birds were about really decoyed well. They were turning towards my decoys from half way across the field and folding their wings from a great height. By 1.30pm it went really quiet and I saw the reason why. The pigeon had changed their flight line and were heading over to the other side of the field.

I stuck it out until 3.30 with just the odd shot and was just about to pack up when, in the distance I saw 100's of pigeon heading back to roost. They were really high but 1 or 2 did make the fatal decision to come down and have a look. The flight continued for about another 15 minutes with wave after wave coming over high but once again the odd one came down to the decoys.

I finally packed up and finished with 94 Pigeon for 144 shots. A very pleasing day!!

If the field has been absolutely hammed maybe you should have visited it before now, but well done anyway.

auto pilot may be ? they were in for a shock that day, your farmer wasn't doing his rounds much then, my guy would have soon been on the blower.but still well done.

I probably should of got over there earlier but usually there are other pigeon shooters shoot the land too {at least 4 groups}. I couldn't see any signs that any one else had shot it. Surprisingly also the farmers never put out any bangers. Judging by the numbers of birds I saw at the end of the day, every pigeon for miles around must have been feeding there.

I shall be back next Saturday!

Nice result.

Back in 2007 I shot 110 on rape in pretty thick fog. The disoriented pigeons came straight into the decoys or the tree above me. Nice, easy shooting.

shot in the early morn thick mist and fog when the sugarbeet was 2-3 inches high......exactly as MOTTY says .........not big bags but close shooting,,,youve got to keep an eye out and be quick......

There is always an exception to the rule but over the years ( and still do ) find that shooting pigeons in the fog is a waste of time and effort , most of my shooting is on marsh land with the tallest item above ground level is a gate post , so unless the pigeons have a built in radar system there is no way they can follow any land marks like trees , pylons or the odd church tower to there chosen marsh .