Flush and extended choke question ??

Harnser

I have guns with flush and extended chokes . What is the reason for choosing extended chokes over flush chokes ? Any multi choke gun I have will be fitted with quarter and half choke for every thing and I never change them . I have not noticed any difference between the two types of chokes for killing live game . So what's the difference ? Is it just a tackle tart thing ?

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

I have both in several guns and both in the same gun, plus fixed in others. I can tighten or loosen either by inserting a finger into the flush ones or by gripping the extended ones, so it doesn't matter either way to me. Perhaps it's the chokes themselves which are 'tackle tart' implements?

Oh but they do look quite cool.

Each to his own, which is why we have choice. But not for me.

Shotgun manufacturers design a nice gun with clean lines. Then some folk spoil that design by adding two ugly knurled blobs on the end. A bit like sticking warts on the face of the Venus de Milo.

Hi. The taper in the choke is gentler in the extended therefore doesn't jostle the shot about as much as a short choke also less stress on the threads of the choke and barrels with a long choke.

Cheers. Vulture

why not simply start the choke earlier in the barrel? the taper would be the same and wouldn't need to stick out the front of the barrel like an eyesore ;)

why not simply start the choke earlier in the barrel? the taper would be the same and wouldn't need to stick out the front of the barrel like an eyesore ;)

Which (I suppose) is why they are available (at least when fitted as after market) as 'long' and 'short' tubes. The only multi gun I have has Teague 'long', but that was a previous owners choice.

I am on the side that prefers them flush, but it's only that I think they look slightly better.

If your out on a muddy marsh it's far easier to swap chokes with extended. Also I like ported chokes it's more bang at the gun end ( which is the bad side) but convinced it creates less muzzle rise and a cleaner second or third shot ( not any use if your shooting bad) but if you only get odd chances the more left and rights you can get.

I do think longer tapers help patterns though yes this could still be done internally

With extended chokes you can check them at any time and nip them up. With flush chokes if you only notice they're loose when they protrude from the end of the barrel you may well already have a problem with either lead shot or the plaswad getting between the barrel and choke wall.

Do you believe its possible to get better patterns by better chokes? because I was sceptical till I tried it

I think that you were very lucky . The chokes on best guns were regulated by a very skilled craftsman and were generally regulated to shoot Ely 1 ounce Impax . You can only regulate a choke to a specific cartridge ,no two different cartridges will shoot the same through a regulated gun . It took hours of skilled fettling to regulate a gun . The chokes in modern guns are nominally bored and may well shoot a particular cartridge better than another .

Harnser