.22 rim range

kody

Had an hour target shooting with the .22 this afternoon as conditions were good

I put block of wood out at 200yds on some dirt I dialed up the distance until I could hit it this was the size of a house brick I was amazed how accurate my rifle was I was hitting it regular with a rest on the xtrail bonnet on a cushion rifle a savage mk2 with accu trigger and fiochi 38grn subs

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

printed on the box it states 1.5k. it all depends on the angle. I think that it is 32 degrees is the optimum. A .22 has killed at over a mile and has taken an African elephant. A 22 lr isn't suitable for either of these. they were fluke shots in case anyone packs one for their African safari they wont take out lion or wildebeest either.

printed on the box it states 1.5k. it all depends on the angle. I think that it is 32 degrees is the optimum. A .22 has killed at over a mile and has taken an African elephant. A 22 lr isn't suitable for either of these. they were fluke shots in case anyone packs one for their African safari they wont take out lion or wildebeest either.

That's me stuffed then ☹️

I have taken my 22lr to the military ranges and consistently hit the bull at 600yards with subs >> about the size of a car tyre at that range. the vertical lift was the lower edge ( at the bottom of the tube) of the vertical cross hair about a foot above the top of the target frame. no side wind. probably somewhere in the region of 6 >8 ft drop. it might have been from the top of the butts bank cant remember but it was a fair ole lift but they still got there in reasonable accuracy. you wouldn't want to be standing down there exposing your rear doing a moony once zoned in.

Edited by fortune

Had an hour target shooting with the .22 this afternoon as conditions were good

I put block of wood out at 200yds on some dirt I dialed up the distance until I could hit it this was the size of a house brick I was amazed how accurate my rifle was I was hitting it regular with a rest on the xtrail bonnet on a cushion rifle a savage mk2 with accu trigger and fiochi 38grn subs

So in good conditions, with a rest (no wind, I assume) you can regularly hit something the size of a brick at 200 yards.

Confident on crows and rabbits at that range

You're happy taking shots I wouldn't even consider. Even with no wind, you're at least as likely to miss - or worse, wound - as you are to kill something the size of a rabbit.

I was told, many years ago, that for rimfire or air rifle, if you can't put every shot within 1" of a drawing pin (so inside a 2" circle), then you're out of range.

Edited by robbiep

When I Was younger and out with the gun every day I was quite confident at about 80 paces and in most cases that was more than the distance that the target was away from me so I didn't miss much.

very much my thought..........max distance ive shot at and killed is noo more than a 100yds no special scope just guessing on the graduation marks..........about 90% of all the bunnies and hares ive taken have been at 25-60 yds..

Whoever told you about the drawing pin was being very realistic and honest

200 yards and you will have to find some as yet unmade ammo

Fiochi are extremely good in my savage

I also know someone hitting tennis balls at they range

Fiochi are extremely good in my savage

I also know someone hitting tennis balls at they range

Every shot, in variable wind condition ?

I call bull.

Even with a minor crosswind, a 22 subsonic will be tugged 6 or more inches sideways at 200 yards.

Going up-calibre and up-velocity, Norma actually list the following for a 223 Remington (Vmax, 40 grain bullet):

Muzzle velocity : 3,740 fps.

Wind drift, 10mph crosswind :

100 yards : 1.2 inches

200 yards : 5 inches.

And that's for something with 3 times the MV of a 22LR.

So if you know someone who reckons they can land every bullet from a 22LR on a tennis ball at 200 yards, in variable wind conditions, then I expect to see them in the Olympic shooting team.

I have taken my 22lr to the military ranges and consistently hit the bull at 600yards with subs >> about the size of a car tyre at that range.

Absolute balls, I'll call you out, I've got that clear shot on my farm, 600 yards with a .22 sub, if you're near me I'll record it.

Over half a kilometre?

Every shot, in variable wind condition ?

I call bull.

Even with a minor crosswind, a 22 subsonic will be tugged 6 or more inches sideways at 200 yards.

Going up-calibre and up-velocity, Norma actually list the following for a 223 Remington (Vmax, 40 grain bullet):

Muzzle velocity : 3,740 fps.

Wind drift, 10mph crosswind :

100 yards : 1.2 inches

200 yards : 5 inches.

And that's for something with 3 times the MV of a 22LR.

So if you know someone who reckons they can land every bullet from a 22LR on a tennis ball at 200 yards, in variable wind conditions, then I expect to see them in the Olympic shooting team.

didn't say anything about hitting a tennis ball every time or in variable wind conditions

In the right conditions yes

You have two issues when you push the range out with a 22 lr. It's simply not developed for shooting much beyond 100 yards

To shoot at 300-600 can be done but your drop and windage are very large to such an extent your aiming up into the air without adding specially made angled mounts

The other is shot to shot deviation will take you off a perfectly executed shot at a moa target

When you get your eye in and find your mark on the right day tennis balls at 200 are very do- able rabbits and such are not it's inhumane 2" is not achievable in my Experiance when you pass 150 ish. That's too great a margin of error

Tin cans. Old fruit etc go for it but just because you start hitting quite a bit it don't change facts. The fact is nobody will put hard cash down that they can hit a 2" target five out of five times at 200

Edited by kent

I can remember going out with my granddad, Oh so many years ago (the good ol days) He was actually a sniper in the first world war, and he used to teach me how to shoot. I would practice in the back garden with an old Diana air rifle shooting at match heads at up to 30 yards. I then soon progressed up to bigger guns and soon saved up all my pocket money for a long range rabbit rifle easily capable of 200 yard head shots in ideal conditions.

Very quite indeed, the sights at the time seem to be space age, I was the envy of the village. I have dug up a an old slide picture that my Dad took with me holding it.

Oh! those were the days :lol:

post-2987-0-23276300-1462707286_thumb.jpg

Absolute balls, I'll call you out, I've got that clear shot on my farm, 600 yards with a .22 sub, if you're near me I'll record it.

Over half a kilometre?

If you have this distance available on your land go and try it. I went to the range with several guns and only took the 22 LR to zero on the 50 yard range. when we moved to the 600 yard range someone said have a go to see if it gets there. There was no wind on the day and I started to shoot and several blokes were spotting and could see the dust down range and advise how close I was getting. After about 20 rounds I was hitting the target consistently. The bull on a 600 yard target is about the size of a car wheel. The elevation was way up to get it there but when I had zoned in it was getting there. now you wouldn't be able to say I am going to shoot that rabbit at that range but there would have been a high chance on a man sized target. Don't forget that people have been killed by the 22 LR at around a mile. all of these shots are a fluke because you cant just aim and fire the gun would have a big elevation to get it on. as I wrote in post #10 my max was about 80 paces

I have taken my 22lr to the military ranges and consistently hit the bull at 600yards with subs >> about the size of a car tyre at that range. the vertical lift was the lower edge ( at the bottom of the tube) of the vertical cross hair about a foot above the top of the target frame. no side wind. probably somewhere in the region of 6 >8 ft drop. it might have been from the top of the butts bank cant remember but it was a fair ole lift but they still got there in reasonable accuracy. you wouldn't want to be standing down there exposing your rear doing a moony once zoned in.

600yds with subs ..........................and a 6-8ft drop. Methinks you're 'aving a laugh. It's more than that at 250yds

The drop at 600yds is closer to 75ft :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: