New toy

Scully

Although I like the Winchester Model 23 I'm not keen on the look of vented ribs on sxs's, and have for some time had a yearning for a AYA Yeoman 3" Magnum. It wouldn't have to be a magnum; I don't ever intend to put magnums through it, but I very much like the look of the wide beavertail type forend and the pistol grip stock on these ( and 23's ) guns, and the case hardening is a bonus also.

Having missed out on a very good example on PW a month or so ago I jumped when I saw another in just as good condition recently. I PM'd the seller Holloway, in Devon, and the deal was struck.

I picked it up from my RFD this morning and have to say how chuffed I am with the gun. It is in very good condition with most of the case hardening intact, comes up very nicely, is as tight as a drum and closes with a very satisfying 'clunk'.

Took it out earlier this evening and bagged three rabbits and a pigeon. It is the first sxs I have owned and thought the double trigger may be an issue ( and when faced with a quick follow up shot may yet prove so, until I get used to it ) but at the moment am very much a fan of being able to choose which barrel to fire first.

A big thank you to Holloway who went out of his way to make for a hassle free transaction. :good:

I am nursing a little bit (big bit) of desire for a SxS just now and this thread does not help at all :whistling:

I have seen a very nice Aya No2 that is calling me loudly, but regrettably the call of the tax man is currently louder :sad1:

Pleased that you have a new addition to the cabinet that makes you smile, enjoy it.

Good choice, Scully. Last year I bought a 1980s-made AYA No3 magnum, weight about 7.5lb, 29" barrels, semi-pistol grip, beavertail forend. Guess that will be pretty much the same spec as your Yeoman. Find that I shoot just as well with the AYA as with my O/U sporter.

Beavertail stops the fingers from either frozen or burnt. A bit wide for my liking, so I might reduce it slightly, but first I must get a piece of scrap wood and see if I can learn how to do chequering.

I really fancied buying an older British-made gun, but something like a Bland "Brent" non-ejector seemed to be three times the price, so I ended up with the AYA. No regrets.

Well that`s proved me wrong. I saw the title and thought "What Winchester has he bought now then?"

:yes: He did have a nice 101 XTR in actually, but I already have one.

Big fan of sxs , love my AYA .you will have much joy for years.

Yes, I'm enjoying using it. Both mates commented on how nice it was to use also, earlier today.

I am nursing a little bit (big bit) of desire for a SxS just now and this thread does not help at all :whistling:

I have seen a very nice Aya No2 that is calling me loudly, but regrettably the call of the tax man is currently louder :sad1:

Pleased that you have a new addition to the cabinet that makes you smile, enjoy it.

I haven't done my return yet so the taxman can wait. :) Go on, you know you want to. :yes:

Good choice, Scully. Last year I bought a 1980s-made AYA No3 magnum, weight about 7.5lb, 29" barrels, semi-pistol grip, beavertail forend. Guess that will be pretty much the same spec as your Yeoman. Find that I shoot just as well with the AYA as with my O/U sporter.

Thank you, and yes, sounds very similar. I just like the way it handles and the way it looks. I may spend a bit of time on the wood before next season, not that there is anything at fault; just the finish looks a little worn in places. There is a nice man I know who does a wonderful job of checkering.

scully , I have been itching for the same type of sxs I love the feel of the 23 and might buy one in the end but I too am looking for a sxs with a beavertail for end 3 inch chamber but I haven't yet found the gun to tempt me to buy ,well apart from the one you bagged. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

scully , I have been itching for the same type of sxs I love the feel of the 23 and might buy one in the end but I too am looking for a sxs with a beavertail for end 3 inch chamber but I haven't yet found the gun to tempt me to buy ,well apart from the one you bagged. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Thank you. I hope you find the one you want.

I have an Aya Yeoman with the beavertail forend and pistol grip and it will never be sold, I absolutely love it. A bit heavy maybe on a long day but I shoot better with it than anything else.

Had one with 26" barrels. 40 years on, it's still the one gun that I wish I'd never sold.

Guest cookoff013

just remember, these old girls were never ever designed to fire 1500fps loads, infact about 1200fps is about it. and 1100fps or less would be even better.

no point running 1500fps shells through it if it doesnt pattern with fixed chokes.

i learned along time ago, good solid traditional shells 1000fps, patterns beaut, and is nicer to shoot (lots of shells.)

even 32g loads are a pleasure, thats the difference.

i bought a german merkel47E. its great, i used to reload for that nearly exclusively, thats what started me on the subs.... (and the hushpower guys)

There seems to be a surfeit of both good and cheap SxS's at the moment, they seem to have fallen out of favour! :rolleyes:

Wabbitbosher is having to give them away at the moment, a friend went over on Sunday morning and left with 5 guns. :lol:

Sounds like a nice gun Scully. :good:

There seems to be a surfeit of both good and cheap SxS's at the moment, they seem to have fallen out of favour! :rolleyes:

Wabbitbosher is having to give them away at the moment, a friend went over on Sunday morning and left with 5 guns. :lol:

You are as bad as Scully in trying to lead me astray :)

I am going to sell my 725 and the missus's 12g SP1 before indulging in anything new.

I just don't use the Browning and she shoots much better with the 20g SP so they have to go, no good sitting in my cabinet doing nothing when they could be getting used by someone else.

Scully, welcome to the right side (by side).

Thank you.

Thanks; I like it very much.

A mate who has a nice collection of live pigeon sxs's and often buys from auction houses was telling me that you can buy some very good old English guns at very reasonable prices if you're happy with a non ejector.