Apprentley. 410 won't break clays

kingo15

Whilst having my morning dump. Browsing thou the usual rubbish. Came across a topic in one of the shooting pages.

Only reading it because my others half son had a go with a small .410 at burghley house on Sunday and thought about getting him one.

There were about 15 comments stating that you can't use one for clays as it won't break them.

I'm not sure why people talk drivel.

.410 is an ideal little gun for clays, its feeding them thats the trouble, i load for everything, but only have a home made .410 rto, if i had a decent mec or better still a PW 800 or similar in .410, i might even take up regular clay shooting again and buy a Browning in .410.

This will start a whole new debate I guess when I tell you he will be 6 in October. But he does like coming shooting.

Start em young the draw of the gun is strong if you catch them young enough, mine all started as toddlers took them local on the river they just took to it like the metaphorical ducks to water. Only the youngest lad is a little more rifle orientated than the others but he is still keen just not quite as keen as the others. Hoping now he has a 12 magnum he likes he will do more this season.

Apparently a 410 can't kill pheasants, duck or geese either...........

My advice for getting a 410 for a youngster is to get it with as little choke as possible, if shooting to 30 yards, IC/1/4 choke is more than enough and 1/2 usually the most before no real improvement.

Check manufacturers site for choking, don't rely on importers or shops which only ever seem to order full choked guns.

For cartridges, no need for any shot bigger than No7 or No 7 1/2 shot in 3" magnum, No 8 in 2 1/2" and No 9 in 2", especially for clays as bigger shot = more holes in pattern.

Whilst having my morning dump. Browsing thou the usual rubbish. Came across a topic in one of the shooting pages.

Only reading it because my others half son had a go with a small .410 at burghley house on Sunday and thought about getting him one.

There were about 15 comments stating that you can't use one for clays as it won't break them.

I'm not sure why people talk drivel.

My eleven year old son dusts them....and it's very impressive to see 😊😊

This will start a whole new debate I guess when I tell you he will be 6 in October. But he does like coming shooting.

My son was beating at 5, started using an air rifle at 6, then at the ripe old age of 9 my parents bought a 28 bore for him to use, first time at grimsthorpe we picked the easier stands to build his confidence then on our second trip he got 37 x 100 doing the round properly. It was amazing to see how far that little gun could reach, so my point is there really isn't a definitive age to start, you've just got to gauge how he reacts and encourage him.

First time I had a go shooting a Shotgun at 10 years old was with a 410. I went with my Dad to.shoot pigeons. He had bought a 410 with a cut down stock

so I could have a go. He had previously shown my how to hold a gun by using an air rifle.

First few hots were at a bit of paper pinned go a tree so I had an idea wherd the shot went.

We then sat by the edge of a wood next to a Barley Field. In the next hour we shot 23 pigeons. I shot 7..

Had no problems with clays either.

i personally shoot my .410 more than my 12g hundreds of rabbits no joke and about 50 hare's countless pigeons but only 3 crows, an dozens of pheasants. love light lightness to carry it about on long walks rough shooting, now got an itch for a 28g only if i could find a hushpower one the money be out my pocket with in a flash

Buy him a cheap single barel and let him shoot static stood up clays, I've shot some long clays with a .410 and got good breaks.

This is what i was thinking as this is what he used on sunday at the game fair.

He could hold it it as he is quite big for his age

after few static shots release few balloons to blow around the floor,these help with idea of a moving gun.......as 6 yr old will need to chop stock fair bit,and ideally 9g shells...

Thank you.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Best get myself a bigger cabinet then.

I got a 9mm garden gun recently, and it came with some 7.5 shot shells, with which it would break aerial clays at 20 or so yards. Once finished, I got some 10 shot shells, which will break a static clay at 15 yards but bounce off an aerial clay.

Never known a .410 not to break them, a mate had a Lee Enfield no4 converted to

.410 and it would smash anything the 12 would. Heavy sod, but you didn't chop your swing