Brexit - Merged Threads

mick miller

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And elsewhere on here all this "anifink said vat ain't the Brexit I voted for ain't democracy" - what a load of simplistic nonsense. We've got a parliamentary democracy here, not a plebiscite.

We've just had a plebiscite...it seems the side you backed lost.

The plebs have spoken, wipe your tears and move on.

Oh god, pound vs. dollar... that's it then. The benchmark (currently) that success is measured by. Most people (in the know - that report for financial papers, or are traders/ work in finance ) realised that the pound was substantially overvalued for some time, an adjustment was coming, it came a bit quicker. Having a lower value to the currency in the short term can help absorb some of the bumps. Let's see what it's like in, say, six months as the markets are also settling down after the announcement and there has yet to be a new leader appointed; we are essentially a bit rudderless and that isn't going to calm any short term market jitters.

That graph is also over, umm, 1 month. Hardly a barometer.

Pound v dollar's a more honest barometer...

JObu42n.gif

You guys are funny. Your little gee-ups for each other...

And we all lost.

That's good! The last thing we want is a strong pound against the dollar. Unless you were planning to go to Florida for your holidays, or buy a Harley

Now all our exports are about 15% cheaper over there

That graph is also over, umm, 1 month. Hardly a barometer.

More like a rectal thermometer! :lol:

Most people (in the know - that report for financial papers, or are traders/ work in finance ) realised that the pound was substantially overvalued for some time, an adjustment was coming, it came a bit quicker. Having a lower value to the currency in the short term can help absorb some of the bumps. Let's see what it's like in, say, six months as the markets are also settling down after the announcement and there has yet to be a new leader appointed; we are essentially a bit rudderless and that isn't going to calm any short term market jitters.

Sounds a bit like Blair saying "judge me when the dust has settled" all those years ago. How did that go down on here?

That said, I agree. It's too early to gauge the repercussions. Did you say as much when people cited the FTSE100 as proof all's fine?

The day after someone said to me "the markets don't seem to be bothered", I told them to wait a day or two yet and, sure enough, it went plop. But they're up and down like a yo-yo at the moment - hardly a barometer either and two weeks is rather a short timeframe to judge them by.

Edited by mick miller

With the turmoil going on in the Conservative and Libour parties I think it is a distinct possibility that a general election is called before Article 50 is invoked. Then all parties, bar UKIP, include within their mannifesto to remain within the EU. Then it becomes a everybody vs UKIP election. UKIP would do well but not well enough (especially with tactical voting and agreements not to challenge specific seats) and the party that wins says that the election results trumps the referendum.

The thing to do is target the MPs with the biggest mouths who want to stay in......make them unemployed! The Conservatives are unlikely to have a manifesto for staying in, as the party is very split over the EU, so it will be Labour the LibDems and the Greens to fight. With 4 MILLION UKIP votes, plus all the ****** off Leavers feeling hard done by, I cannot see any of the Gang of Three winning the election!

Pound v dollar's a more honest barometer...

JObu42n.gif

You guys are funny. Your little gee-ups for each other...

And we all lost.

The pound has dived before, and ALWAYS bounces back. The last time it hit this low was when we were in the throes of the Miners Strike, and various other industrial problems! The underlying strength of the current economy means that the pound will bounce back quite quickly, once we have finally invoked Article 50, and started the process to LEAVE! The FTSE 100 has already bounced back....so get used to it, get over it, and get on with your life!

Good news for us over 60% of our sales are the the USA, they can't get enough now its cheaper.

Orders are starting to flood in from outside the EU.... China wants a trade deal with us, so does India....and these, along with Brazil, are the emerging economies.....and NONE OF THEM ARE IN THE EU!

The pound stood at $1.98 back in 20o8 ! I know, I went to the States then.....that was because of the Crash in banking! The dollar bounced back, just like the pound will.....it,s stupid to look at short-term currency markets, especially when you are in an economy of growth! The Euro is sinking, the Italian banks are slowly edging to disaster.....and growth in the EU is......ZILCH!

Erm, so if that's the case how come Leave have been campaigning against the EU for so long despite the UK's membership having been ratified in a previous referendum and effectively every General Election since joining the EEC?

As you say, it is a democracy and the minority have every right to express, and fight for, their viewpoint.

The "previous referendum" was 45 YEARS AGO! And we were deliberately lied to to get us to vote IN.....as Ted Heath later admitted, and as Michael Foot once hinted.....

Still with that Strawman argument. What EU laws are your morals most burning to get rid of? Human rights? Environment? Working conditions?

And elsewhere on here all this "anifink said vat ain't the Brexit I voted for ain't democracy" - what a load of simplistic nonsense. We've got a parliamentary democracy here, not a plebiscite.

Before we can all work together we need to work out what Brexit we're working for, and to do that unfortunately you're going to have to come clean about whether it really was sovereignty that was all you wanted, or restriction on movement of labour (and how much), access to markets etc etc.

It was about ALL those things! But now, when we elect idiots, as we often do, we can rid ourselves of said idiots every 5 years! It took 45 years to rid ourselves of the UNELECTED idiots of the EU....

Orders are starting to flood in from outside the EU.... China wants a trade deal with us, so does India....and these, along with Brazil, are the emerging economies.....and NONE OF THEM ARE IN THE EU!

You are aware that the BRICS economies are entering a bad recession aren't you?

Edited by MrM

I wouldn't call it a 'bad' recession. India is still doing really well, China, though slowing, still has growth we would give our eye teeth for, the rest aren't mired in debt like the EU or USA...

But, if if makes you feel better...

BRICS

Edited by mick miller