Brexit - Merged Threads

mick miller

What a laugh. If the vote had gone the other way can you imagine how PW Leavers would have reacted to a post from a Remainer saying what you've just said!

Are you seriously suggesting that everyone who is Pro Brexit would have just turned around and said, "Ah well. We tried. Now to commit wholeheartedly to the European project"?

Like Scully said,it would hardly have been the end of my world.

I also believe the EUs days are numbered,due to its unsustainability.

Why are Bremainers trying to make out its such a bad thing we have done?

Its been 7 days,the markets have mostly recovered ,war has not started,and we are not looking at a recession ,no matter what some people are gleefully predicting.

Why are we still arguing about it?

If its such a bad thing,next election you can vote for a pro EU party ,pay your money and take your chance,let democracy decide,and if successful ,rejoin the bloc...thats if its still there.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stated on here before the referendum and well before the result was known, ( it's on here in black and white if you care to look ) that I would vote to leave but fully expected to remain, and if that were the case would be disappointed but otherwise not too bothered as I truly believed the EU to be on its last legs and that it was just a matter of time ( perhaps 10 years or less ) that we would see it crumble and fall. Having two teenage children my only concern was that the break up would lead to civil unrest. Little did I know that a leave result would lead to otherwise rational and intelligent people advocating a second referendum. Best out of three? Keep going until the spoilt get the result they wanted?

I would have been no worse off if we had remained than I am now so what could I possibly have complained about? Would I have been lobbying for a second totally undemocratic referendum? In tears because the younger generation had 'destroyed my future'? Marching in London claiming that London could remain but that Cumbria should be allowed to leave? :lol: Would I have been comparing as similar to Hitler those who voted to remain? Are you serious?

As an aside, a local woman whose daughter claimed on FB that 75% of 18 to 24 year olds had voted to remain and that the older generation had destroyed the future of her generation, was replied to by me, to point out the errors in her claims, but I never heard a thing back for some reason. She has since posted ( less than a week after having had her future destroyed ) that her Uni' is sending her to Bulgaria for five weeks to perform on stage in some play or other! Poor thing; she must be distraught.

Her mother, whom I know quite well, has yet to respond and it will be interesting to see how she reacts when we next bump into each other in town. Another whom I know quite well also as she is a fellow artist, who had shared the petition calling for another referendum had the grace to look embarrassed when I bumped into her in town the other day, after I had asked her via FB if she thought what she was suggesting was democratic. She didn't respond.

I apologise for the rant but I am sick and tired of being told the leave campaign has destroyed this, that and the other. It was a democratic vote, the fact more people could be bothered to get off their backsides and vote to leave is who's fault exactly? Have any of the peeved minority considered having a pop at all those who couldn't be bothered to vote, rather than all those who did?

I can recognise your frustration, but with respect that isn't really what I was saying.

If the vote had gone the other way, and someone had told the PW status quo to shut up and start making the EU work, they'd have been subject to even more browbeating than usual.

Edited by Granett

I can recognise your frustration, but with respect that isn't really what I was saying.

If the vote had gone the other way, and someone had told the PW status quo to shut up and start making the EU work, they'd have been subject to even more browbeating than usual.

Not from me. I voted UKIP last GE, not from any kind of affiliation with them but rather as a protest vote. The Tories got in; I didn't then start a campaign to get the vote overturned nor in fact 'brow beat' anyone on here or anywhere else as far as I recall.

Life is full of disappointments; it's just life, get on with it.

Edited by Scully

We'll never know how PW would have reacted if remain won because they didn't, so to speculate about it in my view is pointless, what's important to me is the country pulling together and showing a united front to the rest of the world, securing the best deal it can, fighting between leave and remain will help nothing, a democratic decision has been reached and the country needs to move forwards, most of the market volatility has been caused by infighting and bickering plus lack of planning

Yes true and I am looking at March next year for my LS and drawdown so the next 12 months are important.[/quote

Then you shouldn't be in shares then. Anybody with 24 months to run before drawdown should be in low risk assets. If you are in a lifestyle portfolio then this will be done automatically.

Are you saying that with Lifestyle your pot does not fluctuate.

you do a good bit of trolling yourself Scully like a few others calling people trolls yet making defamatory comments

There is a difference between defamatory statements and trolling; look them up. I'll admit to the former, where the police, politicians and BASC have been concerned, but your PW history shows you to have the monopoly on the latter.

Back on topic:

Slovakian MP wades into the Brexit

Prime Minister said the EU's migration policy does not work and Europe has failed to properly communicate with its citizens.

He said EU heavyweight member states like France, Germany and Italy have run the show for too long, and they should start listening to the countries like Slovakia that have joined the 28-nation EU since 2004. The crucial decisions on the future of Europe cannot be defined by the decisions of one or two member states, or by the founding member states," Fico told reporters in Bratislava on the eve of his presidency.

"Can we be successful by selling policies that don't work?" he wondered aloud, as the EU wrings its hands over losing a member state for the first time, and particularly the bloc's second biggest economy.

Fico's government also took aim at the EU's executive arm, the European Commission, which has gained increasing power since the governing Lisbon Treaty was introduced in 2009, for dictating policy from Brussels.

"There is a feeling among the member states that they are being sidelined," Foreign Minister Miroslav Lajcak said. "Policy should be driven by the member states and the Commission should turn it into legislation."

Lajcak said nations should wield more power because "this is where citizens live, they don't live in the institutions."

He partly attributed the loss of public support for the EU to the workings of Brussels, saying "it's probably because there's too much institutions and too little member states."

Are they actually dumb enough to think marching will change anything ? Petulance, denial and inability to grasp how voting works. Jarvis Cocker reportedly said " you can't change the map, we are part of Europe". Err, no we aren't. Its called the channel. We are an Island.

Are they actually dumb enough to think marching will change anything ? Petulance, denial and inability to grasp how voting works. Jarvis Cocker reportedly said " you can't change the map, we are part of Europe". Err, no we aren't. Its called the channel. We are an Island.

And by the same token, Turkey ain't European either. Well, not most of it. :yes:

(I think Cyprus might be a ringer too) :whistling:

Cameron has resigned but stays in proxy for a few months what else could he do? Without authority how could he assemble a brexit team / start the process of gaining consensus on what we want from brexit (apart from the exit itself) ?

Surely its better to make the EU wait whilst we get our house in order prior to pressing the button on Art 50? Imagine trying to write up the plan :) and getting agreement from across the different divides. I am not sure it can be done without an election. There has to be some sort of cross house consensus to what in effect will be a new constitutional framework.

Problem is he never had a 'Brexit' (hate that phrase) plan, he fully intended to win and was shafted when he didn't.

So what to do?

Jump ship and take what he can while he can.

'I love my country' bullpoop

Edited by 955i

Paris opens doors to City of London businesses looking to relocate after Brexit vote :unhappy:. Slowly slowly catchee monkey.

Course they do. France has nothing to offer apart from being a country you have to go through to get somewhere else from Britain :lol:

Paris opens doors to City of London businesses looking to relocate after Brexit vote :unhappy:. Slowly slowly catchee monkey.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brexit-banks-not-worried-by-leave-vote-ready-invest-britain-1568496

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brexit-fallout-hsbc-barclays-say-they-have-no-plans-leave-uk-after-britain-votes-leave-eu-1568420

I wouldn`t hold my breath if I were them.

Edited by Danger-Mouse

Not sure they'll want leave the tax haven and money laundering capital of London.

:) Your right lots to think about

I don't get why most remain voters are so scared, I'm the most optimistic I've been about the uk since leave won the referendum

Scared? Where has that come from?