Brexit - Merged Threads

mick miller

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I understand it properly, for the princely sum of three quid each we can all vote to keep Corbyn as party leader and therefore ensure Labour are unelectable for the foreseeable future. Sounds like value for money to me.👍

Because a weak opposition benefits the country how?

There is a reason for that, property funds can't liquidate capital easily so can't just sell at will to settle a drop in the market. Don't read too much into it. Property is still the best long term investment in history.

Correct. I have 20% of my pension invested in property funds and intend leaving it there.

An opposition (or 2 ) stops the majority party from having it all its own way.

A strong opposition means that sometimes (not all) a perfectly good bit of legislation does not get passed ,simply because the other party(s) block it out of spite, the recent changes to tax credits to name but one.

If the 2 main parties are too evenly matched,it can pull the actions of government in 2 separate directions,thereby not benefiting the people who it is supposed to serve.

You would think that all MPs would consider the interests of governance first,and their personal politics second,sadly this is rarely the case.

There is a reason for that, property funds can't liquidate capital easily so can't just sell at will to settle a drop in the market. Don't read too much into it. Property is still the best long term investment in history.

I don't doubt it but it reflects current pressure on the asset class and the potential for forced sales. Difficulty of borrowing for construction will follow with a down turn in construction and a lot of jobs at stake. Uncertainty for investment may nullify any reduction in interest rates and even with reduced capital controls on banks lending will be problematic. No doubt a lot of migrant jobs in construction so the blow may be softened? :)

It was meant tongue in cheek and wasn't a serious suggestion. I wouldn't **** on labour if they were on fire, let alone spend three quid on them.😊 Edited by Scully

£3 to keep Corbin as leader of HM opposition...........and in consequence keep this current lot masquerading as Labour out of power......seems cheap to me?

Until they dump all the corrupt palm greasing sponsorship from rich business/Union "party supporters" the corrupt individual "sponsorship" of MP's by "interest groups" the bottomless pit of MP's "expenses" the spin and "right on" PC carp......... I will never vote labour again................until such time as they can demonstrate a return to honestly representing the interests of the working man!

WHY can't those who voted to stay in accept that they lost its called democracy dim wits

Erm, so if that's the case how come Leave have been campaigning against the EU for so long despite the UK's membership having been ratified in a previous referendum and effectively every General Election since joining the EEC?

As you say, it is a democracy and the minority have every right to express, and fight for, their viewpoint.

Erm, so if that's the case how come Leave have been campaigning against the EU for so long despite the UK's membership having been ratified in a previous referendum and effectively every General Election since joining the EEC?

As you say, it is a democracy and the minority have every right to express, and fight for, their viewpoint.

There`s a difference between questioning a decision made 40 years ago where we have seen the results and questioning one made a week ago where we have not. Plus the main opposition to the EU started after the Maastricht treaty was signed. A decision that was not made following a referendum but rather by the incumbent government of the time.

I`m not quite sure why you think each GE since then has ratified that decision? To the best of my knowledge neither main party has run on a manifesto offering a referendum on the issue,

Correct. I have 20% of my pension invested in property funds and intend leaving it there.

I increased my holding to 30% property in the weeks before Brexit intentionally and I'm sure it was the right move. I'm actually surprised the FTSE bounced back as quickly as it did. I really expected a much more sustained dip and didn't even have time to consider when to re-enter.

To me it shows a massive belief in the validity of the Brexit vote. Forget the politicians, a week after the vote and the FTSE was higher than before? and still climbing? That's an incredible endorsement.

deutsche bank may bomb if that happens the european project will become a bonfire of the vanities

The financial dominos are lined up all over the EU just waiting for one to drop and set off the rest. The fact is the European Project is more or less out of money and there is no such thing as 'pass go collect £200' in the real world.

A person I know went bankrupt for about half a million when his business collapsed a few years back. Nothing too suprising about that but when I tell you he bought himself a £24,000 Rolex a few weeks before you may see where I am coming from

I increased my holding to 30% property in the weeks before Brexit intentionally and I'm sure it was the right move. I'm actually surprised the FTSE bounced back as quickly as it did. I really expected a much more sustained dip and didn't even have time to consider when to re-enter.

To me it shows a massive belief in the validity of the Brexit vote. Forget the politicians, a week after the vote and the FTSE was higher than before? and still climbing? That's an incredible endorsement.

I think there are still a lot of shocks to come and the indices will swing wildly. For those of you who may gloat if Deutche Bank crashes then don't. It will have massive implications on the global financial system and therefore all of us. Will make 2008 look like a walk in the park.

One point is that any kind of market depends on volatility.

Price goes down people buy, price goes back up then people sell and make a profit.

There'll always be speculators trying to influence markets to suit themselves.

Sorros himself admitted he drove the BoE to undertake quantative easing and he made billions.

When I was a kid brown eggs cost more than white eggs because we were told they were better.

Financiers need money and they need us to circulate it, that's how debt works, so we'll be ok.

It'll all settle down again in due course but not for possibly longer than some anticipated, mostly due to the UK government's ineptness (on all sides) at not having any exit plans but we knew that when we voted. The reality is that the same end result was waiting for us 5 or 10 years down the road had we remained, and with possibly worse consequences. It is what the government do now that will settle (or not) the markets. There's lots of panic spreading amongst speculators, mainly due to second guessing which stocks are worth investing in and which need to be ditched,primarily as a result of what the banking and property sectors are doing at present, but also with announcements from major EU investors about where their money will be invested. What is known is that well before Brexit, many companies investing in the UK, and indeed many UK companies took their money out of the UK and instead decided to invest elsewhere in Europe. It's not the surprise that the media circus would have us believe. The UK was being asset stripped for years, ironically on the basis of the strong pound forcing labour intensive business overseas.

The pound was forecast to drop against the Dlolar to around $1.20 and to achieve parity with the Euro in the event of the UK leaving, and that looks increasingly likely. Whilst that will make the cost of living higher than it already is, and force a drop in house prices (a good thing imho), it will also boost export sales and make investing in the UK more attracive than it is now providing that our trade links are re-established and settled. We could not go on with the Pound as strong and be outside the EU, that was obvious to a blind man. The cost of our sovereignty and our ability to make our own laws is what we are paying for now, and some of us believe that having a moral compass is more important than money on its own. The trouble with Europe at present is that it has increasingly become money-centric, and this has caused the poorer nations within the EU to become poorer as their working population migrate to where the money is, but with more funds drained from the EU to shore up those countries and their infrastructures. It has done little in reality to build their own economic base, and made them dependant upon being within the EU. That is self destructive and means that the richer nations contributions would have to rise to sustain the entry of so many countries who are net takers and not net contributors. It also cements control with the key net contributors, and the Commission and that is not healthy.

Our position now means that to trade, we have to accept either freedom of movement and higher business tariffs or much higher business tariffs and taxes with no freedom of movement and no membership of EFTA. Either way, to trade with the EU we will have to accept much of the legislation surrounding employment rights, safety and health (a good thing) but all of that is a smoke screen against the reality that the EU will lose out contribution and this now falls on the Germans and French to foot the bill. The EU project is dead and I predict cannot recover until it relinquishes the Euro-zone and unification. It can only work with any sort of stability as a common market, reverting back to what it was 40 years ago. That was what was best for Europe and the UK then, and it remains what is best for us all now, so hopefully, the arrogance of the gilded self-serving Commission and political unification will slowly drift into obscurity and world markets can recover. It will be long term, so us and our children will now likely suffer a prolonged period of economic hardship until that day arrives, but I for one, do not regret the decision the leave. I believe that morally, it was the right choice.

Edited by Savhmr

some of us believe that having a moral compass is more important than money on its own. I believe that morally, it was the right choice.

Still with that Strawman argument. What EU laws are your morals most burning to get rid of? Human rights? Environment? Working conditions?

And elsewhere on here all this "anifink said vat ain't the Brexit I voted for ain't democracy" - what a load of simplistic nonsense. We've got a parliamentary democracy here, not a plebiscite.

Before we can all work together we need to work out what Brexit we're working for, and to do that unfortunately you're going to have to come clean about whether it really was sovereignty that was all you wanted, or restriction on movement of labour (and how much), access to markets etc etc.

Still with that Strawman argument. What EU laws are your morals most burning to get rid of? Human rights? Environment? Working conditions?

There you go again ,dismissing his balanced post with sarcastic bile.

Where did he mention getting rid of EU laws like those,believe it or not we made some of those laws without the EU charging us to re write them,and pretend we never had them.

And elsewhere on here all this "anifink said vat ain't the Brexit I voted for ain't democracy" - what a load of simplistic nonsense. We've got a parliamentary democracy here, not a plebiscite.

And there you go again,with a quote no one made ,linking Brexiters to your vision of uneducated people.

Before we can all work together we need to work out what Brexit we're working for, and to do that unfortunately you're going to have to come clean about whether it really was sovereignty that was all you wanted, or restriction on movement of labour (and how much), access to markets etc etc.

How about all of them ?

Or is your vision of 'Every leaver is a racist' clouding the issue ?

I bet you would welcome a decision to put it all to one side and forget about leaving at all.

Tell you what ,if that happens ,watch every political party in this country implode,watch the markets crash then and your far right groups membership go through the roof.

Are you prepared to work to extract ourselves from the EU ?

I am,and Im prepared to ride the storm (if there is one)

Stop trying to paint every single person who voices support for Brexit as a thick racist,I thought we had got past all that.

You answer every question with more questions and twist any reply in an attempt to discredit the poster. Are you by any chance a barrister or maybe a human rights solicitor. You seem to have a real knack for twisting the truth and facts. (If not you may want to look at it, think you'd do great at it)

Or maybe a politician?