vw three cylinder engines

gemini52

I have been looking at a vw polo for my wife,its a 1.2 petrol it has three cylinders,it sounds ok the doubt in my mind is are they any good compared to the four cylinder ones,my grand daughter had a corsa one litre which was three cylinder,the thing was a nightmare,cost my daughter no end of money,never out of the garage,any feed back would be appreciated.

Look at Ford,wife bought a brand new 1T ecoboosts Titanium X last November 125bhp as standard.I would advise to go test drive as the power from such a small plant and responsive turbo is wow and a nice deep throaty sound.Susan really wanted a ST but in the UK they are only available in 2dr at 189bhp.She put 10k on this one and packed it off to Mountune for Ford approved engine mod,full SS exhaust (quiet) & a remap.Still getting 54mph when she not driving like shes stole it.Ford recon 67mph on the standard car & £0 road tax before and after the modifications.Dont know what the power is like on the standard none ecoboosts.

Edited by Davyo

Wouldn't touch them with a barge Pole!! Have a very nasty head problem to the point vw/seat/skoda won't even sell heads they just sell you an engine!! The fiesta's (3 cylinder) have a problem with over heating and popping the engines as well due to coolant pipes being produced on the cheap

We havent had an issue or heard of any on the Ford Owners Club site & with 10k covered in 9mths trouble free.Hopefully we wont see them as the Mountune upgrade has seen all the hoses upgraded plus an intercooler radiator thing mounted behind the front bumper.

Mrs Harnser had a new VW up with a three cylinder engine . A very nice little car if you didn't want to go up hill . The car was totally gutless and with the auto gear box it was a real pain to get across the main road at the bottom of our road as it took ages to change gear . She now has a 1.8 Astra that she drives like a girl racer .

Harnser

We havent had an issue or heard of any on the Ford Owners Club site & with 10k covered in 9mths trouble free.Hopefully we wont see them as the Mountune upgrade has seen all the hoses upgraded plus an intercooler radiator thing mounted behind the front bumper.

I can't remember which coolant pipes it is but it's plastic and cracks because of poor materials. You shouldn't see it if the pipes have been changed. Can't remember what model it was but I'll find out. Also water pumps seem to leak after 20k or so? I've done a fair few now. Think they've modified the pump now

Thanks for the replys,going to have good hard think on this one,thanks again.

Get yourself round the dealers and test drive a few.Ive always been a fan of cars 2ltr and above.But no more im having this one off the wife when its 3yr old and she's defo ordering another if they dont start doing the ST in 5dr (rumours saying they are)

Edited by Davyo

Now driven lots of these little three cylinder jobbies. Ford Ecoboost is the way to go, cracking little engine. Vauxhall engine is gutless. Toyota,citroen,peugeot for Christ sake don't buy an auto one of these it's like driving a pogo stick!

Edited by Sprinter

I have the VW groove up,it zips round town and will sit at 80,sorry 70 mph all day on the motorway,you just have to use them gears,if you get it wrong on a hill you will go up it like a snail,get it right and you will fly up it.

They like to be up and down the box keeping the revs up,can be great fun on the country lanes,and 60mpg and a road tax of £30

Bought the Mrs a Hyundai i10 3 cylinder jobby and i'm pretty impressed with it. It'll zip round town and cruise on the motorway no issue, however as with any small engine if you don't use the gears you'll have a miserable time.

I think this is where Fords ecoboost has an overall advantage as the big differance is you dont have to work the gears.Blew me away the 1st time i drove it & now since the Mountune upgrade its scarey.

Edited by Davyo