Wildfowling - Season 2016/17

Wildfowler12

Had my first flight of the season last night, had plenty of opertunities with Teal and a single Goose I called in close enough for a shot but missed. Ended with one Snipe and some feathers on the ground off a Teal. Roll on next time I'm out, hope I shoot better and can see better, the flight started very late and lost sight of them against the darker backgrounds making a shot near impossible.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is amazing how fast the mornings are getting later before the first light appears. Its only just over two weeks ago that it was light enough to shoot well before five o’clock, this morning with its heavy cloud and light rain it was closer to six . There was a very big tide due at seven and with this mornings stiff north wind it was going to be a lot higher than the tide tables predicted. The coastal marsh I shoot on tide flighting is never easy with big tides. The marsh is a big one , well over a mile of wide expansive saltings finely cut with a maze of creeks , many far to big to cross once the waters start to rise. Much of its sea ward edge is bounded by a sandy ridge which rises in places to high dunes , but the saltings are quite flat with little rise indeed the water often floods the mid saltings well befor it reaches the sand ridge. The saltings then stretch away inland towards the high farmland with a long collar of sueda forming the boundary along the high tide mark. Only on the very highest tides does the sea reach the sueda bushes and when they do it’s the time to try a tide flight.

Even on the few days each season when the sea does flood the whole marsh the duck stay well clear of the band sueda bushes unless a north wind is strong enough to push them over the high tide line . The combination of high tide , a strong north wind and good numbers of duck present do not occur very often and whole seasons can past without it happening. But it was going to happen today.

As soon as I parked the car I could see the creeks were on the point of spilling over the grass and there was still nearly two hours to high tide. Getting the two dogs out of the car we quickly hurried down to the sueda bushes where a small rise in the land was covered in sueda bushes running thirty yards out onto the saltings providing good cover. Meg my old lab was a old hand at this and instantly was watching anything that was moving in the dim light. Pip my 18 month old lab was here just for the experience , it was going to be months before she was going ready for any real work. Hardly had I loaded the gun and the rising waters reached our hide. There were birds pouring over head from every direction, an unending stream of gulls following the tide edge along the marsh, curlew by the hundred shot over with the wind in their tails , to turn and battle their way back over the sea looking for the last dry spots of marsh. Other small waders flashed overhead to be lost in the gloom. As the light grew there seemed to be birds everywhere except for my intended quarry, duck. The water was getting quite deep around my feet now and we were going to have to retreat back to the main sueda bush line Meg was standing on her back legs using two higher sueda branches to keep well above the water , but Pip just lay down and let the water rise around her until she was almost awash. Time to fall back and of course the first duck started to appear. A dozen wigeon swept past 80 yards off to vanish into an oncoming squall. More apeared until the sky over the sea was full of little black bundles of duck seeking shelter.

We had hardly reached out new position and more duck appeared, a good bunch of pintail , but they to kept well wide across the wave tops. From then on bunch after bunch appeared from the east , but it was the same old story all the birds keeping safely out over the sea. The wind was not quite strong enough to push them within range. But this was to change as the tide rose further. A nice bunch of mallard appeared 300 yards away hugging the tide line and coming straight for me. Just when a shot seemed almost certain a double shot crashed out from the suedas a hundred yards off. The same thing happened with a pack of pintail , drakes already showing their white breasts as they were coming out of the summer moult. Another fowler had hidden quite close to me arriving in unseen in the half light and my flightline was cut off, I was going to have to move. Hurriedly collecting my gear and dogs I rushed along the tide line to a new hide 300 yards off to the east. Of course as soon as I left my position two small flocks of mallard raced over the very spot I had just vacated. Typical.

Pack after pack of wigeon went past hugging the wave tops just a fraction beyond range as we looked for our new spot. Most received a volley from the other fowler , but I saw nothing fall. Finally we managed to get well away from the other gunner and settled down again. Forty teal came just right , rising in the wind when they saw me. I missed with my first shot , but the second cut out a little hen bird. No need for Meg to swim for this one as the wind drifted it back , almost to my feet. Six huge sleek white birds appeared passing just in front of us, spoonbills . They are breeding close by and now becoming quite common along this coast. Two weeks ago I saw 41 of them tucked into a tiny reedy pool not far from here , doing what spoonbills seem so good at , sleeping, its all you ever seem to see them do.

More duck came , wigeon , 15 , maybe 20 of them. Keeping down I let them come right over head and sent one splashing into the water in front. Meg was on it in a second , but it dived and we never saw it again. I suspect when you lose duck like this they dive and get caught up under water in long grass or some other obstruction and die. I was planning a evening flight here later and with the tide out the dog may yet find it. More duck, a nice pack of teal flashed overhead , again I missed with the first shot only to ball one up with a quick second shot. Hardly had Meg returned with it than a pair suddenly flared up off the water almost beside me. By the time I got the gun to my shoulder they were already a good way out and I missed. The little flurry of action then ceased and all the duck remained well out over the sea except for one single drake pintail who knew the range of a shotgun to the inch and swung around me almost tempting me for a shot that I knew would never produce a clean kill.

The tide finally reached its high mark and after hanging for an age started to fall , but that was the signal for all duck activity to stop and no more came along the tide line. It was well after eight , but the light was still poor as the heavy cloud and rain battened down the sunrise. A dozen golden plover were pushed past on the wind and just as I was about to shoot I caught a movement low behind the hedge inland. Surely a goose I thought as the large half seen bird crossed a gap between bushes. Saving my shells for more prized quarry I let the plover go for the goose to change into a cormorant as it crossed the hedge. Time to go I decided and as I turning to go a big flock of waders lifted off the fields behind , more golden plover disturbed by a couple of bird watchers further up the coast. They turned with the wind and came right over head , but I let them go. I had a brace of teal in the bag and hoped to find the wigeon this evening so I was happy. I do not usually shoot golden plover when members of the public are about. Last season another fowler shot three plover only to be reported to the police for shooting waders. The police arrived and of course did not know quarry plover from protected waders and it was several hours before the business was sorted out and the last thing I wanted was a repeat performance.

My first foreshore flight with the help of the tide had delivered the goods and my season was getting underway again. It was good to see for the first time this autumn plenty of duck and the omens looked good for the coming season.

Edited by anser2

As per normal , a well described report of your mornings flight and a well deserved brace of Teal .

Duck are very slow building up down here at the moment but now there is a change in the weather things are sure to change for the better.

We had a very big tide this morning with most of the saltings covered in the strong N / E wind , plenty of Curlew and the assortment of waders on the move but only the odd pair and small bunches of duck .

Just after dinner I came past one of the Broads and a big skien of geese were going over , at first I thought they were Pinks arriving from up north , but when I got my glasses out they were all Greys and not the ones we are waiting for.

A little more detail, please! :yes:

I would imagine Smoker smacked a Pink from the few Skiens using the place right of your Boundary Motty as a few Skiens have been there since Monday and Club Rules forbid a report 😢 i know 3 that hit Saltwater with good Splashes Tuesday morning 😆😆😆 to the left of your boundary 😂 Edited by 6.5x55SE

Arriving at the car park as the only fowler always adds that little sense of satisfaction, and so it was last night. On the long walk out, a few parties of Golden Plover kept me interested, and I spied a stubble field that in a months time could well be harbouring freshly arrived pinks ... that would be in the future ..... the wind and tide meant that now I would be in the edge of the water seeing what duck had arrived.

I chose a spot several hundred yards different to usual ... didn't want the full walk, and when 7 mallard sprung up from the edge of the creek I knew where to be. With the wind and tide starting to push there was a lot of bird activity, but I guessed my best chance was if the mallard came back ..... in the distance behind me I saw a black spec turn into to 2 of the mallard battling into the wind .... crouching low, I kicked myself as a nice lot of Goldies streamed backwind over my head ... picked them up too late for a shot. The mallard drifted off and still powder was dry.

With my little creek beginning to fill, I saw a single teal heading low my way .... he also passed wide of me, but the diversion worked this time and he drew my eye to another half a dozen Goldies speeding onto me .... first shot out in front connected, but the second was a slash as they whizzed overhead and drew no prize.

So ... something in the bag ... happy!

The tide was now well into the edge of the marsh and a pack of duck in the distance lowered my butt to the point when I found my waders had a leak on the inside seam .... at least it wasn't too cold! These worries evaporated when it was clear the pinnies were about .... as so often happens, this bunch headed past well out to sea .... but seeing some felt like a minor victory. Here comes another bunch ... different point on the horizon where I picked these up, and they would clearly be much closer. Sacrificing more saltwater on the skin, I got as horizontal to the water as I could and waited for the wind to push them in range .... it did, and having learned to pick a drake before getting up to fire, my star prize dropped as if folded and frozen into the sea. Now really happy!

The retrieve was an opportunity to move back again, and it wasn't long before another really big party of duck were heading my way, numbers suggested they wouldn't be pinnies, and they revealed themselves soon enough to be the first wigeon I'd seen of the year. This was a good sized lot, and with them spread so well I was bound to be in with a shot .... didn't quite go to plan as although they were almost right on me, I was spotted and a rushed couple of shots were poked behind them ..... Dignity was rather simply restored as a tight bunch of teal passed too close and a single shot dropped the lead bird.

My next 2 shots were relatively straightforward, a single wigeon flying at 'I'm looking for somewhere to land' pace, and a bunch of mallard didn't see me at all, and again, a drake was all I wanted from them. Again, Toby was onto the simple retrieve with no drama.

So .... a goldie, wet leg, and all 4 common wash duck species was enough and with an hour before the tide topped I headed back.

Proper fowling has now started again😀

Edited by Smokersmith

Arriving at the car park as the only fowler always adds that little sense of satisfaction, and so it was last night. On the long walk out, a few parties of Golden Plover kept me interested, and I spied a stubble field that in a months time could well be harbouring freshly arrived pinks ... that would be in the future ..... the wind and tide meant that now I would be in the edge of the water seeing what duck had arrived.

I chose a spot several hundred yards different to usual ... didn't want the full walk, and when 7 mallard sprung up from the edge of the creek I knew where to be. With the wind and tide starting to push there was a lot of bird activity, but I guessed my best chance was if the mallard came back ..... in the distance behind me I saw a black spec turn into to 2 of the mallard battling into the wind .... crouching low, I kicked myself as a nice lot of Goldies streamed backwind over my head ... picked them up too late for a shot. The mallard drifted off and still powder was dry.

With my little creek beginning to fill, I saw a single teal heading low my way .... he also passed wide of me, but the diversion worked this time and he drew my eye to another half a dozen Goldies speeding onto me .... first shot out in front connected, but the second was a slash as they whizzed overhead and drew no prize.

So ... something in the bag ... happy!

The tide was now well into the edge of the marsh and a pack of duck in the distance lowered my butt to the point when I found my waders had a leak on the inside seam .... at least it wasn't too cold! These worries evaporated when it was clear the pinnies were about .... as so often happens, this bunch headed past well out to sea .... but seeing some felt like a minor victory. Here comes another bunch ... different point on the horizon where I picked these up, and they would clearly be much closer. Sacrificing more saltwater on the skin, I got as horizontal to the water as I could and waited for the wind to push them in range .... it did, and having learned to pick a drake before getting up to fire, my star prize dropped as if folded and frozen into the sea. Now really happy!

The retrieve was an opportunity to move back again, and it wasn't long before another really big party of duck were heading my way, numbers suggested they wouldn't be pinnies, and they revealed themselves soon enough to be the first wigeon I'd seen of the year. This was a good sized lot, and with them spread so well I was bound to be in with a shot .... didn't quite go to plan as although they were almost right on me, I was spotted and a rushed couple of shots were poked behind them ..... Dignity was rather simply restored as a tight bunch of teal passed too close and a single shot dropped the lead bird.

My next 2 shots were relatively straightforward, a single wigeon flying at 'I'm looking for somewhere to land' pace, and a bunch of mallard didn't see me at all, and again, a drake was all I wanted from them. Again, Toby was onto the simple retrieve with no drama.

So .... a goldie, wet leg, and all 4 common wash duck species was enough and with an hour before the tide topped I headed back.

Proper fowling has now started again

Pleased for you well done its started properly now tame feral greys ans fat honker tonkers are no match for a real migrator in the bag.

First of many i hope have a good one, well not too good a one dont be going too often wearing my Patrol out. :lol: :lol:

An enjoyable morning for me this weekend, too keen to get going I was kitted up at 4.45 am and heading for a position I felt could deliver! Walking out the wind was very strong, struggling to hold my course and keep my hat on, crossing the marsh I reached a creek I intended to cross only to hear and see water rushing in already... No chance, so doubling back I found a place to hide and settled on a fork in the creeks. I lay down to get out of the wind and relax as with such a moody sky it would be sometime for shooting light. No sound of quarry only shank buzzing along the creeks to keep me awake, eventually the light broke, but still nothing.... Oh dear not another blank?! Then flashing past my shoulder a small bunch of teal, followed by mallard.... Out of range. A single teal however was , the 1st shot fell behind, but as he rocketed the wind carried him back and the 2nd shot folded him. I was glad I had bought the old dog, as I had thought of bringing the youngster, but in these conditions experience was everything.... Even if her training is a little 'loose' her retrieving was brilliant this morning. The marsh livened up at my shots and a steady movement of duck began with the marsh flooding quickly. A neat l&r at teal had me feeling happy, but after collecting the 1st lost sight of the 2nd bird in the waves, the dog buffeted taking waves head on and losing sight also. Damn....

From then on I only picked single birds and if necessary gave them a 2nd shot under such testing conditions, still duck zipped over from up wind, down wind and across it, mallard, pintail, shovellor, wigeon, teal. What a first duck flight of the season!

Concentrating on the down wind birds only I allowed them past my position before taking the shot, as the wind was carrying them back. At the top of the tide and having moved several times, the activity slowed and I was happy to sleeve the gun and begin the trudge back. It ended with wigeon, teal and a single gadwall in the bag. Proper weather and a joy to watch my dog working so well! Without her I should have packed up struggling with an inexperienced dog or for sure lost some more this morning.

Here's a few snaps from some recent outings...

6A33B28E-F9AD-4217-B9C0-1CE13B7C8FB7.jpg

24E519E8-6DD1-4E69-9C83-5561E20085FD.jpg

DF096D4D-F200-405B-BCC5-944AD77C8E29.jpg

3E1CB383-80C0-4FC7-A85D-6A2874BD14C2.jpg

An interesting panoramic shot, which shows the sun rising in the East, whilst the moon shines bright in the West...

59D8663E-8F1B-4464-9BFA-3E5E4C173AFF.jpg

And finally, a modest bag from this morning :) I must say I've seen more gadwall on the river this year than in any that I can remember. Though the highlight today was seeing and hearing the first pinks, some 200yards overhead. Good luck to them :good:

C12C65BD-124E-441E-AE2B-2A8477C6F7CA.jpg

Edited by Wildfowler12

I had a wander out Saturday night, got settled down into a spot watching the tide come in, single mallard came over the sea wall, should have been an easy 30 yard shot but first barrel went wayward so I left it be.

Light started dropping and I could see some seals hanging about in the creek, next bunch of mallard, straight over the top but if I'd have dropped one it'd have been in the creek or the other side so I left those be. Couple more bunches came over on the same route but all flew by unscathed. The seals worry me too much, especially with the young dog. The duck will be there for another time and I was quite happy just being out after a stressful week at work.

The plan was to skip morning flight ( fancied a rare lay in, and girlfriend needed my car as her van is in the garage ) then head out for evening flight, went to walk the dogs at 4 and I was sweating my nuts off just walking along the sea wall, so I decided to miss evening flight as well. Did spot a bunch of nine pintail as I walked along the sea wall, as well as a few mallard here and there.

This morning was one of those where it all finally comes together!

I'd been watching the forecast last week, with a brief spell of northerly winds expected early part of this week. Having had a couple of blank flights already this season I was hopeful of a new influx of birds. The tide was good for a morning flight, allowing the birds to come to the saltings then be pushed off again as it rises giving more opportunities of some shooting. It also allows us access via boat to some of the islands we shoot.

With the usual strains of everyday life It's rare that we all manage to get to shoot together but this morning my two brother in-laws and long term fowling buddy made the effort to get out.

We met for 4:50 ready to set off. It's a fair walk across fields to get to this particular marsh access, then around the base of the sea wall, up and over and out across the saltings, in total about a mile to where we launch the boats from. As there were 4 of us and 2 dogs we took two boats, 2 guns rowed out a few hundred yards and moored up half way along the island while my

Brother in-law and I carried on another 300 yards or so before setting down.

Having only just set our decoys out, the first Ray's of light were starting to break the horizon as I heard a couple of pops from the other two guns. We sat for about 15 mins while having a chat and a coffee when the whistle of wings could be heard and flashes across a thin band of light seen. Hopes of a reasonable flight were rising!

Just as I put the lid on my flask a pair of real emerged from the darkness of the opposite bank, I mounted, swung and a hen dropped for the first shot.

My brother in-law had shot with me a few times last season and managed a duck on my pond but not yet managed a proper foreshore duck. All was about to change when out of the dark came a long sleek shadow, upon my keen "take it!!!" He swung through and dropped himself a lovely hen pintail (quite a rare thing on that area of marsh).

As the morning went on there were a few more pops from the other two guns and we saw a few ducks drop. The numbers were there, we just needed them over us! It had been another 10 mins or so when we got another chance, with both of us pulling through and dropping a widgeon each from a pack right over head.

The morning progressed with the sun rising making for some good sporting shooting from all guns and some nice picture opportunities.

It got to 8:30 and both dogs were looking like they'd had enough and we had shot our fill for the day so decided to pack up a leave things be.

I maintain that fowling is not about the bag, if it was we would t do it! But today certainly helped to go some way to make up for some of the blanks. We ended the flight with, for us at least, a respectable bag.

13 teal, 12 widgeon, 2 mallard and a pintail. 10 to my gun, 4 to my brother in-law and the rest split evenly between my other brother in-law and shooting buddy.

A red letter flight! Great sporting shooting in beautiful surroundings with good company!