What is this tool used for ?

fortune

Twisting fencing wire loops?

I'd agree with that, never seen 1 with the rippled/gripper effect on the bottom 2 prongs thou, we used to just get them made with 2 straight legs.

U use the straight legs for puting over the line wire on stock net to tap the the hinges back level after u've pulled the net, as when u pull it if u don't use a clamp all the vertical wires go daignally, and use the hole in the handle for burling/twisting the wire tight for tie it off tidily.

It may have other uses, but we use things almost identical to that but just with the straight legs so easier to make, quite a handy wee tool.

Not sure if many fencers would bother doing that nowadays

Well. I and another thought that it was a tool for doing something with fence top strand wire but we dont know. I';ll put up a better picture with something to scale it against later when I get home from work. Do you mean that the staples go in the ripples sort of at right angle to the jaws and hold the staple so you dont beat your fingers with the hammer

No when u pull a stock net tight with pullers,(meant to pull it with a clamp and pullers, infact been a long tme since i've not used a clamp) u usually put 1 on top/middle/bottom but often just top/bottom the net will net pull straight dut to conours etc, so u will pull more from either top or bottom which means all the vertical wires with the hingy bits end up not vertically up and down, makes no difference to the fence but looks terrible.

So u slide the forked bit over 1 side of the hinge and tap with a hammer the hinge/wire back to the vertical.

Hope that makes sense.

The hole in the handle u'd slide over the wire and use it for leverage when ur twisting the wire really tightly to tie it off, so u get a neat tight wind.

Never seen 1 for sale in a fencers tool shop/catalogue were always blacksmith made, quite an old skool real fencers tool, not sure if many would still bother noways with 1.

Dunno about the steeples part, u could be right but i've never seen 1 with the grips before but mibee thats a proper old fashioned made 1, all the 1's i've seen/used were made by more modern blacksmiths so corners might have been cut a wee bit and can be slightly different from fencer to fencer.

Unless it has anther use and fencers have 'borrowed' and adapted it

Can't imagine any fencer would waste the time of using them to hold a steeple thou when easier just with ur fingers.

No when u pull a stock net tight with pullers,(meant to pull it with a clamp and pullers, infact been a long tme since i've not used a clamp) u usually put 1 on top/middle/bottom but often just top/bottom the net will net pull straight dut to conours etc, so u will pull more from either top or bottom which means all the vertical wires with the hingy bits end up not vertically up and down, makes no difference to the fence but looks terrible. Yep I can understand that lot and the idea behind it.

So u slide the forked bit over 1 side of the hinge and tap with a hammer the hinge/wire back to the vertical.

Hope that makes sense. What are you calling the hinge? A hinge to me is what a door or gate pivots on. Do you mean that each individual vertical line can be slid along the horizontal wire to straighten the shape up. If my understanding of your meaning is correct I can see why you just had two straight legs. I cant see the reason for all of the ripples.

The hole in the handle u'd slide over the wire and use it for leverage when ur twisting the wire really tightly to tie it off, so u get a neat tight wind. Yep I can see that. I've googled fencing tools images and seen tools that are doing that job. And I can see why there is a witness burr on the central shaft that may be the resul of the tool being wound around something.

Never seen 1 for sale in a fencers tool shop/catalogue were always blacksmith made, quite an old skool real fencers tool, not sure if many would still bother noways with 1.

Dunno about the steeples part, u could be right but i've never seen 1 with the grips before but mibee thats a proper old fashioned made 1, all the 1's i've seen/used were made by more modern blacksmiths so corners might have been cut a wee bit and can be slightly different from fencer to fencer.

Unless it has anther use and fencers have 'borrowed' and adapted it

Can't imagine any fencer would waste the time of using them to hold a steeple thou when easier just with ur fingers.

Another angle

DSCN7386_zpst4fmuadi.jpg

Must admit can see no reason for ripples either. Uness it was due to the way they were made/forged in the old days.

Or mibee the fencer that made it had some clever idea for them as most are custom made for the fencers spec, althou not that much u can vary apart from size

The only possible guess i could have is the hingey bit might fit inside those ripples and u could unwind the hinge to slide it off the line wire for proper old school tieing off. the old way would be to strip every line wire bare far enough to wrap round the strainer and tie, most fencers won't do that now, and just strip the minimum for tieing off, seem plenty ruff 1's just steepling off

Some fencing companies call stock net hinge lock or something like that as the vertical wire is wound round the line wires. I was calling the hinge the part thats wound on the wire

It's mibee for something completely different and just been stolen by fencers? U seem to have a few other suggestions althou some might not be vaible :whistling:

Thanks for the replies and help. I found this tool in a box of tools that I bought in an auction and was intrigued as to what it was. We did think that it was some sort of fence wire tool but were unsure (Still am) as to what it did how it was used. But what you have suggested seems to make a lot of logical sense. I will see if I can find a fence somewhere that is a wire line fence and offer the tool up to see how it sort if matches up with what I think it is used to make. I do know a lad that does some fencing and I will ask him (If I remember) If he knows this type of tool and if yes then how it is used.

Thanks for the replies and help. I found this tool in a box of tools that I bought in an auction and was intrigued as to what it was. We did think that it was some sort of fence wire tool but were unsure (Still am) as to what it did how it was used. But what you have suggested seems to make a lot of logical sense. I will see if I can find a fence somewhere that is a wire line fence and offer the tool up to see how it sort if matches up with what I think it is used to make. I do know a lad that does some fencing and I will ask him (If I remember) If he knows this type of tool and if yes then how it is used.

what were the rest of the tools in the box, this may help link it to the others .