The bonus goose

Big Al

Geese are rare enough in NI. I rarely get an opportunity to pursue them - so when a chance comes during a duck flight, I'm more than a little happy. It is 12 years since I last shot a goose (or even got a shot at a goose.)

Apologies for the OTT outburst, but 12 years is a long time!

Brilliant vid and I loved the outburst! Good on you mate!

Thanks mate - I was (and still am) pretty chuffed about it!

Nothing OTT about it. I think I might be a bit excited if I hadn't shot a goose for 12 years! Well done. Pleased for you! :good:

Cheers Motty - the last few I shot were in Scotland. It's only my third ever in NI. It was also my dog's first goose. A memorable flight!

Superb video again, I think I was nearly as excited as you. :)

If the geese are roosting on the lough, they must be feeding locally, is there no chance you can have a go at them there ?

A great point - they seem to be feeding on grass. The pastures they choose vary according to shooting pressure. There are so few geese here they learn very quickly.

That day they seemed to want into the field we had walked across in the dark! On the way back we did a little goose dung, but not a huge amount.

and you caught that very special moment on camera too. A nice bird and one I bet you are very glad you hit !

Thanks - 12 years is a long time so I certainly was glad I didn't miss. If I had, this clip may have been a non starter.

If ever you are in East Anglia I would be delighted to put you under our pink army.

Some mornings you can get 20-30 thousand over you - Usually, but not always, six gunshots up.

Your exceitement would know no bounds.

Well done Sir.

Thanks for the kind offer Grandalf.

It's not on the clip but as the skeins were flying over us my friend said "Should I not get a shot the rest of the Season it won't matter. Just seeing and hearing them flight over was enough. " And then I shot one. 20 - 30 thousand could be hazardous to my heart!

We went to Scotland together 15 years ago but were so excited that we both shot badly. We are both prime examples of "Goose Fever"

The last goose before this one was also a pink shot in Scotland over decoys (with Geoff Robson. ) I'd love to shoot on the foreshore proper at them - I shot my first goose on the foreshore on Strangford Lough. I'm a wildfowler, pure and simple, but I don't get much time on the foreshore now.

Top quality video Big Al and thanks for sharing , I hope you don't have to wait that long for your next one in N I , Oh , and next time can you talk a bit slower as it is easyier to understand our Polish residents with a Norfolk accent :lol: GOOD LUCK and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and all our friends in N / Ireland.

Top quality video Big Al and thanks for sharing , I hope you don't have to wait that long for your next one in N I , Oh , and next time can you talk a bit slower as it is easyier to understand our Polish residents with a Norfolk accent :lol: GOOD LUCK and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and all our friends in N / Ireland.

Cheers Marsh Man - perhaps a few subtitles next time?

Happy new year to you and yours also sir.

👍

Fantastic now thats what its all about, well done and i am glad you caught it on camera so we could share your delight. Awsome stuff

Thanks - I think I've watched it a hundred times by now.

I shared your excitement whilst watching the video. Well done.

Thanks for the reply Good shot.

Great video. Once, years ago, I had the shooting of a good stretch of Strangford lough. This Saturday I watched as a skeen of geese circled and circled over stubble. Oh the excitement. But they never came within shot. I was excited and didn't even shoot one so well done.

Thanks for that. I shot my first goose on the Strangford foreshore. A greylag too. Strangford was a regular stomping ground of mine for a number of years.