So where is the remain campaign now?

Vince Green

Been out to mainland Greece lately ?

Its no good comparing the holiday islands of Spain and Greece,as they have good local tourist income.

Take a look at the 'normal' areas of these countries,among others,massive unemployment,poverty and no real way out of it,because theyre economy is smashed to pieces by the Euro.

The elephant in the room, EU budget shortfall when we eventually stop paying,theyre already talking about continuing payments after the divorce.

you dident read my post, I said debt ravaged Majorca, meaning debt ravaged spain, so we were saying the same thing, but you thought I was saying something else.

the essence of what I meant is, one thing is having a monumental debt, another thing is having something to show for it.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all you need to know about whether the UK will get a tariff free trade deal...................

Trade%20deficit%20and%20surplus%20graph_

A quaint, outdated Utopian notion of 'Freedom of Movement' taking precedence over a couple of million EU jobs? :hmm:

Tell that to the French farmer who hasn't been outside his own postcode for 50 years. Or the 1/5 of German car workers who could lose their jobs. Or maybe ask the Spanish fruit and veg' producers how they feel about adding themselves to the 22% of Spanish adults already unemployed. And of course with the Italian economy already on it ***** and ready to fold at any minute; not being able to sell their Fiats, white goods and settees would go down very well.

I don't think that 'Freedom of Movement' is as big a sticking point as some EU leaders might make it out to be.

I'm looking forwards to the point the UK pulls the plug on eu funding, it'll be interesting to see who of those left in the EU are going to foot the bill and I belive the toys are really going to fly from the pram, along with all sorts of outrageous claims on how we need to pay off eu debt, future projects, ongoing commitments ect, anything to keep squeezing the last drops of money from the UK cash cow, comical times ahead.

At the end of the day if the UK Government doesn't agree with the demands they have no obligation to pay. Its not like they can chuck them out once they have left. The deficit can only be made up by some countries paying considerably more and / or some countries taking considerably less. Either way, it shows up the myth that the UK got as much back as it pays in.

On a similar note there are some EU leaders making out that the UK cannot begin negotiating trade deals until after the 2 year period following triggering Article 50. What planet are they on? Do they think that a country that leaves the EU will put itself on hold until after it has left, and what can they do about it anyway? It shows how they will have bullied Holland, Norway and Switzerland all of whom are far more dependent on the EU than the UK is.

At the end of the day if the UK Government doesn't agree with the demands they have no obligation to pay. Its not like they can chuck them out once they have left. The deficit can only be made up by some countries paying considerably more and / or some countries taking considerably less. Either way, it shows up the myth that the UK got as much back as it pays in.

On a similar note there are some EU leaders making out that the UK cannot begin negotiating trade deals until after the 2 year period following triggering Article 50. What planet are they on? Do they think that a country that leaves the EU will put itself on hold until after it has left, and what can they do about it anyway? It shows how they will have bullied Holland, Norway and Switzerland all of whom are far more dependent on the EU than the UK is.

So True ..... So True. ...... Thank you.

Deals with prospective trading partners can be made in principle at anytime, probably some have been done already? it is just that if the EU play nicely the UK won't start them until we are officially out of the EU!

Take a football player as an example....as far as I understand it.....although he is under contract with club a) it doesn't mean club b) cannot agree a deal in principle with the player for when his contract runs out!

Deals with prospective trading partners can be made in principle at anytime, probably some have been done already? it is just that if the EU play nicely the UK won't start them until we are officially out of the EU!

Take a football player as an example....as far as I understand it.....although he is under contract with club a) it doesn't mean club b) cannot agree a deal in principle with the player for when his contract runs out!

The EU rules forbid any EU member from negotiating trade agreements while ever it is in the EU. Therefore, by the rules the UK cannot negotiate let alone sign an agreement until they leave in 2019. Quite what the EU can do about it is another matter.

RR will pull through the amount of people and work load for the foreseeable future is ramping up... with a £76.4bn order book the works there. they are also fighting for a new test bed in derby which is very good news. shares haven't really budged after the announcement and are still about the same....when the xwb gets into full time production along with the t7000 I'm sure they will shoot back up.

The EU rules forbid any EU member from negotiating trade agreements while ever it is in the EU. Therefore, by the rules the UK cannot negotiate let alone sign an agreement until they leave in 2019. Quite what the EU can do about it is another matter.

Whilst I cannot dispute your post, as I confess I haven't read the EU constitution! However I don't see how exploring post Brexit trade agreements in principle could be construed as any breach of rules................but as you say what could the EU do about it anyway?

Can the EU in any way censure NZ (or the UK for that matter) for stating they (NZ) want a trade agreement with the UK as soon as the UK leave the EU? is that not a post Brexit trade agreement in principle?

I see that HSBC and UBS have announced they will start moving about 1000 jobs each to Frankfurt and Paris as soon as Article 50 is triggered. They have been threatening they might - now its seems they will be putting it in place.

There's going to be winners and losers in all this, there's no way with something as large as brexit and the fundamental changes that it will bring that everything is going to be a positive, that said, as a whole, I can't see how we can not be in a better position out of it, when I voted out I knew it had the potential to risk losing me some money due to renting out several properties, however I voted out anyway because I've made enough money to be comfortable in life, it's the young who can't afford to get on the ladder and can't secure a stable well paying job, despite working dammed hard I voted out for, I can't help but feel alot of those who voted in did it for their own self protecting reasons and not the greater good, I.e they're employed by a sector that rely's on eu funding.

I see that HSBC and UBS have announced they will start moving about 1000 jobs each to Frankfurt and Paris as soon as Article 50 is triggered. They have been threatening they might - now its seems they will be putting it in place.

Think I heard this morning that Aberdeen Asset Management will have to set something up in the UK as their Luxembourg (read tax avoidance) set-up will not suffice after we leave the single market. I doubt if they're the only ones.

A 1000 jobs at HSBC is small fry and relates to the processing of Euro payments. The BSD jobs - FX, Derivatives, Equities, Corporate Finance will stay here.

If you are one of the 1,000 then unlucky I accept that but there was never going to be no impact.

There's going to be winners and losers in all this, there's no way with something as large as brexit and the fundamental changes that it will bring that everything is going to be a positive, that said, as a whole, I can't see how we can not be in a better position out of it, when I voted out I knew it had the potential to risk losing me some money due to renting out several properties, however I voted out anyway because I've made enough money to be comfortable in life, it's the young who can't afford to get on the ladder and can't secure a stable well paying job, despite working dammed hard I voted out for, I can't help but feel alot of those who voted in did it for their own self protecting reasons and not the greater good, I.e they're employed by a sector that rely's on eu funding.

Perhaps the young can't get on the ladder due to people buying multiple houses to rent out and drive up the prices as a consequence ?

Perhaps the young can't get on the ladder due to people buying multiple houses to rent out and drive up the prices as a consequence ?

That's certainly a part of it, but not the only reason. The truth is that in real terms wages have not risen equally against the cost of living. This is an old article but it clearly demonstrates the point.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2569836/Typical-wage-just-1-week-2002-Figures-spending-power-attack-rising-cost-living.html

If you rent you are unlikely to be able to make any significant savings to build up enough for a deposit. No deposit, no mortgage.

Yes your of course right and it does make me feel guilty, I of course have done what I think most would and put my family in the best financial position I was able and not that it makes it right I am but a drop in the ocean of problems and even if I were to give the property's that I don't need away for free, other than the lucky people who were given them, it still wouldn't solve anything, what's needed is a huge change and in my opinion brexit is a small step towards that.

It has all gone quiet about Greece, what are they doing these days.

Greece is still in the same state as it was,dire.

The only difference is ,the media isnt reporting it these days.

Why?

Probably for the same reasons they have stopped reporting about migrant flow in the Med.

Does it mean that it has slowed down,stopped?

Judging by the amount of migrant drownings ,5000 and rising in 2016 ,the deadliest year yet,I would say not.

The media is very selective in its aims and support,if anyone has any doubts about how unbiased it is,you need to pull your head out your behind.

Even the Beeb ,that should be impartial ,as we pay for it,cannot extract itself from its left wing ,Brexit and Trump bashing bias.

Greece is still in the same state as it was,dire.

The only difference is ,the media isnt reporting it these days.

Why?

Probably for the same reasons they have stopped reporting about migrant flow in the Med.

Does it mean that it has slowed down,stopped?

Judging by the amount of migrant drownings ,5000 and rising in 2016 ,the deadliest year yet,I would say not.

The media is very selective in its aims and support,if anyone has any doubts about how unbiased it is,you need to pull your head out your behind.

Even the Beeb ,that should be impartial ,as we pay for it,cannot extract itself from its left wing ,Brexit and Trump bashing bias.

Funnily enough I heard today that farage has entered a partnership to start a new online media outlet to report unbiased news, should be interesting.

Yes your of course right and it does make me feel guilty, I of course have done what I think most would and put my family in the best financial position I was able and not that it makes it right I am but a drop in the ocean of problems and even if I were to give the property's that I don't need away for free, other than the lucky people who were given them, it still wouldn't solve anything, what's needed is a huge change and in my opinion brexit is a small step towards that.

How do you reconcile that with the fact that young people (under 30) overwhelmingly voted to remain? (some 70% in those under 24)

How do you reconcile that with the fact that young people (under 30) overwhelmingly voted to remain? (some 70% in those under 24)

More bending of statistics.........you claim "young people (under 30) overwhelmingly voted to remain".....do you not mean that of the small number of young people, for example "some 70% in those under 24" who actually bothered to vote in the referendum voted remain?

Edited by panoma1

Or more accurately ,the small number of 'young people ' who were asked if they voted to remain,is that what you actually meant?

Because ,unless we have another poll,where everyone puts their ID to it,no one can accurately say who voted what.

Unless youre a remainer,then you can bend it how you like ,and make it truth.