New bathroom quote - is it me or is this expensive?

Thunderbird

OK, chatting to some friends at the weekend who've had a few quotes for the supply and fitting of a new bathroom suite in both a main bathroom and also an en-suite. What they said intrigued me.

The en-suite needs a bit of tweaking, pretty simple job of shifting a stud wall a foot or two into what was once an airing cupboard.

It's a while since I've had work done on a house and maybe I'm out of touch, but they're saying they've been quoted Ten Large for the whole job, this is with mid-range bathroom fittings.

Plus they have to go out and get/pay for the tiles separately.

Maybe the plumbers don't really want the work?

wants a monkey a day for 10 days, I went through a project a couple of years back, I was ripped off mercilessly by many of the trades that came, brickie acted like he was doing me a favour, had no barrow, mixer, or diamond saw, all on another job, I even had to hire those, cement splashed all over the standing bricks, drains blocked with cement, don't start me on the plumber, the roof chippy and the tiler.

there is a big shortage of youngsters coming through in my view.

my plumber charged the earth, and it needed attn. soon after.

Bit hard to say if its expensive without knowing the sizes etc. Does the floor need tileing? Depends on quality of bathroom suite? Is it Porcelanosa or B & Q? Tileing is about £90m2 for just laying.

Not 100% sure obviously as it isn't me, but I'd say average sizes and vinyl floors as far as I know. The tiling would be for the shower cubicle and splash-backs in the en-suite and for the splash-backs/over-bath shower in the bathroom. The rest will be painted. I would have thought mid-range fittings throughout, nothing too posh but better than the basic B&Q stuff but not high-end.

I would have thought they're unlikely to drop more than £500 on the suites, and £2-300 on the new showers.

Depends on what others have said but if they're doing it to a high standard then you pays your money. I'll never forget my mum being ripped off to the tune of nearly £20k for doing an en suite and family bathroom by a local building firm. They really saw the ££ signs and she had no idea, I'll never let her loose talking to a builder again.

Its a big number, but how big is the room, half, fully tiled, floor? how much is the sanitary ware, lots of variables, i fit wetrooms on the disabled facilities grants, 300/400 a day and paid in four days from inspection. things have changed a lot for the trades.

Seems high for what you describe. Could be a case where ££s are added as they drive up to the house. I got quotes for day rates on a £3m refurb. Every trade upped their day rate as they drove the mile down the private drive, through the gates and saw the house.

it's all a bit vague though, no mention of what type of shower, do they require pumps or extra tanks in the loft? the best I could recommend is they try pricing up the materials themselves. then they could always find a monkey to fit it, then reap the consequences if it goes wrong, if the price seems high ( and to be fair to them it does to me too) then by all means get a few quotes from some larger more reputable firms.

£90 a metre for tiling though :lol:

it's all a bit vague though, no mention of what type of shower, do they require pumps or extra tanks in the loft? the best I could recommend is they try pricing up the materials themselves. then they could always find a monkey to fit it, then reap the consequences if it goes wrong, if the price seems high ( and to be fair to them it does to me too) then by all means get a few quotes from some larger more reputable firms.

£90 a metre for tiling though :lol:

Is that cheap or expensive? I'm not a tiler, thats what i was charged. (for m2 in London)

Edited by silver pigeon69

Is that cheap or expensive? I'm not a tiler, thats what i was charged. (for m2 in London)

tha'ts really bloody expensive, unless the tiles were about an inch square and had to be set individually.

don't get me wrong, i'm all for trades getting a good wage, but I could make a very good living tiling at £25 a m2, it's not like the tools cost a fortune, or I need that many

£10k, probably inc VAT for a bathroom and an ensuite refurb including moving partition (rad on it, elecs in it?) so you need sparky, joiner, plumber, plasterer, tiler, painter someone to co-ordinate it all and supply sanitary ware - bath inc taps, (shower over?, screen?), WC, sink, taps, bath panel then in the en-suite shower valve and shower, tray, screen, WC, sink taps. Mid range from a decent bathroom supplier (not B&Q). It all adds up.

I would be looking for about the same figure off the top of my head for a job like that, any less and it's just not worth the hassle.

Edited by WGD

Six trades to do two bathrooms ? Or a builder who can do stud work ( joiner ? Really ??) float out a wall fit for tiling and paint.if I subbed out works and was told it needed six trades plus someone to co ordinate it I be too embarrassed to pass it to the client.

Edited by digger

tha'ts really bloody expensive, unless the tiles were about an inch square and had to be set individually.

don't get me wrong, i'm all for trades getting a good wage, but I could make a very good living tiling at £25 a m2, it's not like the tools cost a fortune, or I need that many

There was a line of 4 high x 2cm2 tiles around the room, but they came pre-spaced on a sheet and a few recessed shelves. Also it was either him or the loft insulator that robbed my wifes jewellery from our bedroom!!! :no:

Went through all this last year, most fitters/plumbers never turned up to quote even though they said they would, and when they did it was like they were doing you a favour to come round.

Anytime now we will get the one on from London telling us it's a hard graft and you get what you pay for.

Just waiting for his reply.

Six trades to do two bathrooms ? Or a builder who can do stud work ( joiner ? Really ??) float out a wall fit for tiling and paint.if I subbed out works and was told it needed six trades plus someone to co ordinate it I be too embarrassed to pass it to the client.

There's six trades in it, whether you have one guy capable of doing the lot or not is another question.