After a bit of hr advice

mattyg1086

I currently do 4 12 hour shifts a week Monday to Thursday. They are thinking of making us all go on to 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts. We get paid for 11 hours per shift as we get deducted an hour for lunch so that is 44 hours per week we are paid currently. My question is how much would we get paid if it went to 4 on 4 off as I've been told it is a pay cut

Just as I thought it's going to be balls. Trouble is the manager has worked out that is will be less money for us hence a saving for her so even if we don't want to do it she will give us 90 days consultation period and then we will be on it anyway. Also its only something like one full weekend off in 8 weeks I believe. So less money and I will have to work weekends I'm really not liking the sound of this

Unless you are dead against it or it will have a really detrimental affect on family life, there can be advantages in having time off during the conventional working week.

Does the same amount of work have to be done with the now reduced available man hours? IE, are you going to work harder or are you going to play catch up and make up the shortfall at overtime rates?

Is your manager on a productivity bonus - she might have just earned one?

Does anyone know the actual weekly hours or how to work it out. I'm mot sure I like the idea of working most weekends but if that's how it has to be. I am an electrician and I do work for a colleague that has his own company so I may have to do more work for him to cover the shortfall

Does anyone know the actual weekly hours or how to work it out. I'm mot sure I like the idea of working most weekends but if that's how it has to be. I am an electrician and I do work for a colleague that has his own company so I may have to do more work for him to cover the shortfall

What are you going to do in the 4 days not working.... ??? second job ??? I would be looking for a self employed job where you could work what hours and when on those days off. Could turn it to your advantage.

This is very common for data centre workers. The days off are really needed for rest, as the four days usually swap from day to night shift, so you need the four days to get ready to flip your working hours.

I wouldn't recommend finding other work during those days. Day one off of a night shift is a needed rest day, day two is to get back to normal and then the other two to have free time.

Been there done that. Your 4 days off won't be 4 days, your 1st day is mostly spent in bed.

The next your a zombie then you get back to a normal kind of day off.

Check your annual hrs worked compared to your previous pattern.

Am I missing something? I could understand that if coming off nights but the Op hasn't mentioned nights, the only timescale being lunch.

I make it an average of 42 hours a week before any deductions for lunch break as per your current agreement.

I calculated it by taking the 8 day cycle 4 on/4 off, multiply by 7 (no of days in a week) =56

Divide 56 by 2 as you work half of the days over that period = 28 days worked at 12 hrs per day

therfore 28 x12 = 336 hours

Divide the 336 by 8 =average 42 hours per week.

I think that makes sense..

Edited by decoy1979

I work 3 on 3 off but nights and it works well for me as mentioned you book 4 days holiday and you get 12 or one day either side of your 4 on and you can start to really enjoy it.

The only problem is if you do a lot at weekends I know a few people who really don't like working Saturday's, the other thing is if you normally work a lot of over time at weekends as the shift pattern would stop this other than holiday cover.

We get 39 hrs plus 5 at overtime as basic each week for an average of 44hrs over the week but we get a paid lunch and extra for being on the shift pattern

Hope this helps failing that new year new job

Mice!

I work 12 hours 4 on 4 off and its 4 days 4 off 4 nights 4 off its long days but the time off it great as said take 4 days off your off nearly two weeks and one month you work every weekend the next month your off every weekend , the only bad point is your first day off after finishing a 12 hour night shift at 7am means you must go to your bed even for four hours or else by tea time your dead to the world

We tried for it but the manager said no as we wouldn't be working enough hours,

We were on a 48 hour week, 4 shifts from 7

Then they tried to change it to 4 or 5 from 7 (still 48hours) we said no, union said no......upshot was......needs of the business, 90 days notice of change of contract.....

Union said sorry, nothing we can do, don't get me wrong, there was a large pay rise involved but it was the principal.

Another depot managed to get 4 on 4 off and they loved it

:shaun: