Endoscopy

digger

I've been told I need an endoscopy to check my inner workings. I'm sure some of the guys on here would have been through the procedure so am after some words along the lines of " It's fine, over quickly, never felt a thing "

I'd rather not hear "it was awful, perforated my x and was off work for weeks" !

I'll be honest I'm dreading it.

Had it done four times now, first was the worst, after that you know what to expect. Two ways to have it done, one is just a squirt of liquid to numb the back of your throat, the other they use that twilight drug the dentist uses, but you have to have someone with you because you cannot drive afterwards. I never bothered with the twilight drug on all the endoscopys.

Concentrate on your breathing when your having it done, doesn't take long, a min or two.

Stomach. They said I'll have sedation then they will enlarge the area with air. Nurse was really good but I was bombarded with information. Thanks for the responses

ah going in through the front door, rather than round the back.............. hope all goes well

Stomach. They said I'll have sedation then they will enlarge the area with air. Nurse was really good but I was bombarded with information. Thanks for the responses

Ok, so yea, you can be sedated, it's to supress the gag reflex, which can be a lot or not a lot depending on how much the doc moves the camera in and out of your throat.

With you saying they are inflating you makes me think this is an abdominal endoscopy?

I had a endoscopy a while back and to tell you the truth , it was a doddle , there was a small injection in the back of my hand and the worst bit was the spray they put in my mouth , apart from that , the only sensation I felt was when the tube was coming through the rubber block that they put in your mouth .

I was a bit of a wimp and they knocked me out but a carpenter at work kept awake and watched what was going on and he said he quite enjoyed it .

Overall there is nothing to worry about . GOOD LUCK

Quite enjoyed it. Worst thing is the stuff you have to drink beforehand. Procedure itself is interesting to watch on the monitor.

yep i agree i had it done twice both ways up and down in oct and nov 2016 after a bad pr bleed which required 2 blood transfusions. but yeh discomfort but great watching dino rod at work lol and they need to seal a few blood vessels, i was smoking from the inside quite strange to watch the sparks inside you.... but hey no worries mate, just try to relax and enjoy the show

It's abdominal. I appreciate the feed back guys, I live and work alone so have bottled it up.

PW restores my faith again.

That makes more sense digger.

You'll have your abdominal space inflated with carbon dioxide, you should get a very clever sedation if it's not general anaesthetic. Ketamine and/or a benzodiazepine so you'll be away with the fairies, ketamine is a nurses freind.

And as said, you'll have to pass that co2, it will be epic.

You'll be fine, enjoy the drugs and I hope you get a good result.

Edited by kyska

Having used one often on aircraft, I was intrigued to see what I looked like inside and quite enjoyed the experience, but , oh dear! Yep, they inflate with air when necessary (this can be a tad uncomfortable but as said, control your breathing) and you're warned that what goes in must come out. Left the hospital and went for a pint and was leaning on the crowded bar (lunchtime) when...................