Possible SGC revoked

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would not his insurance have covered her third party then it normally does ( unless things have changed since i did it for a living )

no bud he said he states on policy that he is the only driver and it does not cover him 3rd party for any other car , changed days with insurance if your fully comp now it does not mean you can drive 3rd party unless stated on policy.

Very unfortunate when you consider they both had insurance just not the right sort obviously and to think there are literally thousands of people out there not insured who seemingly get away with not having insurance. Insurance to me is a bit like the tax man or parking ticket attendants - loathsome and a con quite often.

The police and the system these days make your blood boil, what ever happen to the days when they showed some understanding and compassion.

Could they have not sent you on your way home on foot for somebody who was insured to later collect the car, with a strong verbal warning after all she was hardly being a boy racer had not crashed and both made a mistake which is human.

No wonder people are losing trust in the police/law in this country.

Must be good to be a police officer and be perfect in every way.

The police and the system these days make your blood boil, what ever happen to the days when they showed some understanding and compassion.

Could they have not sent you on your way home on foot for somebody who was insured to later collect the car, with a strong verbal warning after all she was hardly being a boy racer had not crashed and both made a mistake which is human.

The trouble is you can't have a two tier system, if you let her on her way with a ticking off how can you justify not letting off everyone who claims they thought they were insured

The copper phoned my mate the night and said he will be out next week at some point and stated to him when I do the report I will be putting in that he totally beleaves that this was a genuine mistake, so think that will go good for him and hopefully he gets a warning or it gets binned or a couple of points time will tell cheers guys for all the input if think he is more relaxed about the license issue as he's out 3-4 times a week with his gun.

This is a very tricky issue for us old - uns because the old 'fully comp' is often now only 'comprehensive' and I beleive is a side effect of comparison site insurers trimming risks from policies to acheive lower premiums. Anyone who THINKS the old fully comp applies ought to check their policies - maybe now would be a good idea.

If it doesn't indicate you may drive other vehicles then you are not covered for that risk. In my case, it turned out that several cabbies had exploited the other vehicle aspect - so taxi drivers policies had that aspect removed. Prior to that it was possible for a drunk person to hire two drivers to take him and his car home and one bring the other driver back to his own car. :yes:

I almost fell victim to the other car issue during a late night guns serial number check misunderstanding with two officers who couldn't fully accept my .22lr Sako Quad having the 'wrong' serial number HMR barrel fitted. No amount of explaining fully satisfied them that the .22lr action was legitimate with the HMR barrel in it. :no:

They also pointed out during driving document checks the fully comp risk was not shown on my policy, un-before known to me at about 2am in deepest Cornwall. At that time we were all on remote private property with a higher gravel car park that they didn't realise had an unseen alternative way out over a low stone wall/mound that my brothers Pajero could get over - but their Mondeo would not have managed. After a private discussion amongst themselves they demanded I leave the site despite my protests and seeing proof I had permission to be at. However, instead of me turning around in the elevated car park to follow them out of the narrow entry they were obstructing, I kept going and departed over the other way out.

I'd sussed their plan was to nick me when we got to public land but I managed to cheat them out of seeing me drive back to my brothers house as their route and mine were thankfully miles apart by road.

I remember wondering how long they would wait for me to turn around as I booted it back the other way. They were unable to establish if my unseen brother had got into the car out of their sight. :)

Unless he allowed her to drive the car completely uninsured it's not an issue, even if stopped. Quite often cover is given TPo for third party vehicles, TPo is RtA compliant and so no issue based on these facts

That always used to be the way until recently but a lot of policies appear to be quietly dropping the ability to drive other cars with the owners consent now.

My present car policy doesn't allow me to drive anybody else's car which surprised me.

Edited by Vince Green

This is a very tricky issue for us old - uns because the old 'fully comp' is often now only 'comprehensive' and I beleive is a side effect of comparison site insurers trimming risks from policies to acheive lower premiums. Anyone who THINKS the old fully comp applies ought to check their policies - maybe now would be a good idea.

If it doesn't indicate you may drive other vehicles then you are not covered for that risk. In my case, it turned out that several cabbies had exploited the other vehicle aspect - so taxi drivers policies had that aspect removed. Prior to that it was possible for a drunk person to hire two drivers to take him and his car home and one bring the other driver back to his own car. :yes:

I almost fell victim to the other car issue during a late night guns serial number check misunderstanding with two officers who couldn't fully accept my .22lr Sako Quad having the 'wrong' serial number HMR barrel fitted. No amount of explaining fully satisfied them that the .22lr action was legitimate with the HMR barrel in it. :no:

They also pointed out during driving document checks the fully comp risk was not shown on my policy, un-before known to me at about 2am in deepest Cornwall. At that time we were all on remote private property with a higher gravel car park that they didn't realise had an unseen alternative way out over a low stone wall/mound that my brothers Pajero could get over - but their Mondeo would not have managed. After a private discussion amongst themselves they demanded I leave the site despite my protests and seeing proof I had permission to be at. However, instead of me turning around in the elevated car park to follow them out of the narrow entry they were obstructing, I kept going and departed over the other way out.

I'd sussed their plan was to nick me when we got to public land but I managed to cheat them out of seeing me drive back to my brothers house as their route and mine were thankfully miles apart by road.

I remember wondering how long they would wait for me to turn around as I booted it back the other way. They were unable to establish if my unseen brother had got into the car out of their sight. :)

Why did you leave mate? Sounds like they were being funny with you all the car checks etc. If you showed them your ticket, permission slip, and were on private land, you should have told them to get lost. I'm all for cooperating with the police, and all my experiences have been good once they know your licensed, but if they start getting funny, or ask to stop doing something you are legally entitled to do they are over stepping the mark.

If you don't want the agro it should have at least been followed up by a complaint so there inspector can re educate them not to discriminate against shooters.

Why did you leave mate? Sounds like they were being funny with you all the car checks etc. If you showed them your ticket, permission slip, and were on private land, you should have told them to get lost. I'm all for cooperating with the police, and all my experiences have been good once they know your licensed, but if they start getting funny, or ask to stop doing something you are legally entitled to do they are over stepping the mark.

If you don't want the agro it should have at least been followed up by a complaint so there inspector can re educate them not to discriminate against shooters.

They'd ruined the night anyway and after realising they were correct about the insurance I reasoned I'd have to leave at some time so exploited the fact they couldn't actually see the car on a public road.

Edited by Dave-G

Well I'm glad I saw this thread as Iv checked my insurance and it seems I'm not insured to drive any other vehicles. I changed insurers this year as they were cheaper. Last year it stated on my policy I was covered 3rd party fire and theft to drive other vehicles. I too also presumed it was a given with fully comp insurance. But this cover says. Driving other cars bonus. Excluded. Never really read the email properly as I was waiting for the paper copy. Iv emailed them to check though. A few week ago when my disco was off the road I was driving my mates car around thinking I was insured. Turns out I probably wasn't.

Well I'm glad I saw this thread as Iv checked my insurance and it seems I'm not insured to drive any other vehicles. I changed insurers this year as they were cheaper. Last year it stated on my policy I was covered 3rd party fire and theft to drive other vehicles. I too also presumed it was a given with fully comp insurance. But this cover says. Driving other cars bonus. Excluded. Never really read the email properly as I was waiting for the paper copy. Iv emailed them to check though. A few week ago when my disco was off the road I was driving my mates car around thinking I was insured. Turns out I probably wasn't.

Much the same happened to me, my son changed his car and was giving the old car, a Polo, to his cousin who lives about 80 miles away. I was going to deliver it for him because his insurance company only very reluctantly allowed him a five day crossover when he could have two cars on his policy and it meant him taking a day off work if he did it.

Only by chance I thought I ought to take my certificate of insurance and, even more by chance, I read it.

Actually, the crossover period of grace when you change cars is another little feature that has been quietly done away with. That's why I checked my insurance, his insurance company were very begrudging about giving him the five days of grace and I was a bit dubious about the ANPR record so I was going to take a copy of the email they sent him and my certificate.

Edited by Vince Green

I would read your policy again as if it doesn't state that any other vehicle must be insured then its a misprint on there behalf.

I dont have the certificate with me atm but it does not say words to the effect of provided the car is already insured by the owner etc etc I will add screenshots later.

post-53225-0-06638600-1489068583_thumb.jpg

post-53225-0-27825800-1489068591_thumb.jpg

post-53225-0-95243800-1489082325_thumb.jpg

Edited by sportsbob

I dont have the certificate with me atm but it does not say words to the effect of provided the car is already insured by the owner etc etc I will add screenshots later.

If it doesn't state that technically you have a traders policy. That is the only insurance policy that allows someone to drive an uninsured vehicle.