Stopping the gun

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't stop the gun...simples.

Knowing where your problem lies means you are understanding the mechanics of "good shooting" all you need to do now is rectify it. After taking the shot stay on the gun, maintain cheek to stock contact and continue the swing. After a few sessions of consciously "finishing the shot" it will become engrained through repetition and muscle memory.

Or just practice a lot.

I don’t see why people waste money on lessons, spend the money on clays and cartridges and practice.

But most importantly enjoy yourself.

Possibly so they get to practice the good fun forming habits and not practice and reinforce the frustrating no fun bad habits.... and a good coach will show you which is which .....

Or just practice a lot.

I don’t see why people waste money on lessons, spend the money on clays and cartridges and practice.

Because you keep practicing bad habits a lesson or two usually sorts most issues out even top shooters have lessons to improve their shooting.

Or just practice a lot.

I dont see why people waste money on lessons, spend the money on clays and cartridges and practice.

I tend to agree with this sentiment with the caveat of "only if you know were the fault is" which the OP does in which case all a coach will do is say "your stopping the gun" his or her "fix" to this will be "don't stop the gun" then give you an invoice for £100.

If you have a problem and you don't know why your missing you need one of two things.

1 - a coach

2 - an old bloke in the corner of club house sipping tea huddled around the log burner. He cant hit a barn door anymore BUT he has vast amounts of experience and only too willing to mentor a new shooter and all for a cup of Yorkshires finest a burnt sausage on a bun and a thank you.

Worth saying at this point that although the above "compounding the error" is absolutely correct one must realise that not everyone is comfortable in a formal coaching environment also many people may not be able to afford or justify the expense of a pro coach.

Worth saying at this point that although the above "compounding the error" is absolutely correct one must realise that not everyone is comfortable in a formal coaching environment also many people may not be able to afford or justify the expense of a pro coach.

Hence my comment about wasting money.

All it should take is someone spotting the fault and suggesting a fix.

I've not been doing clay shooting for long (as the user name suggests). I started out very poorly hitting about 20/100, had no real idea as to what was wrong,but about 5 shoots after I was hitting about 60-70/100 and improving. I just needed time to adjust to shotguns, all of my other shooting experience was target shooting.

That's why I advised just practice.

Stopping your gun can be for a whole host of reasons so not easy to assess over the internet.

But one reason is too fast gun movement, you start with a stationary gun, the clay goes past you try to catch it up with a fast swing you race in front sense its too much and put the brakes on stop the gun and shoot behind.

Get the gun moving before the clay goes past so you don’t have to play catch up, moving the gun hold point further from the trap and using your eyes to look for the clay rather than just looking straight down the rib can help slow down the swing and give you more time.

However, if that’s not the reason you are stopping your gun it’s not going to help. You really do need someone to identify why you are stopping it not just that you are.

Stopping your gun can be for a whole host of reasons so not easy to assess over the internet.

But one reason is too fast gun movement, you start with a stationary gun, the clay goes past you try to catch it up with a fast swing you race in front sense its too much and put the brakes on stop the gun and shoot behind.

Get the gun moving before the clay goes past so you dont have to play catch up, moving the gun hold point further from the trap and using your eyes to look for the clay rather than just looking straight down the rib can help slow down the swing and give you more time.

However, if thats not the reason you are stopping your gun its not going to help. You really do need someone to identify why you are stopping it not just that you are.

A very fare point

Or just practice a lot.

The reason that people spend money on lessons is to find out WHY they are not shooting very well, quite simple really. Why keep chucking lead down range if your gunfit is that bad you will NEVER shoot well. I know an awful lot of newcomers who had bimbled along oblivious as to why they were missing. 1 lesson with a GOOD Instructor sorted the problem.

Bit like gunfit really, I can vouch for the fact that I have never shot so well as I did, after having my gun 'fitted'. That was in 1979.

Forgot to add that the most common cause for stopping the gun, is looking at the barrels in an attempt to measure the lead. Stare at the target and try NOT to look back at the gun. It is easier to show than explain !

Edited by Westley

Try to miss it in front. No kidding. On many occasions I have said this to guns with the same problem and they start hitting their target be it bird or clay. I believe because they are trying to get infront of it. Look at the bird and don't spend time aiming up the barrel like a rifle. If you pointed at the clay with your finger only and shouted bang when you wanted to shoot, I'd make a bet you wouldn't stop. Watch regular clay shooters in competitions and they will follow a displayed clay with their hand/finger.

ok thanks all .. i tend to pick up the bird from behind and then follow 3secs (ish ) get in front at a guess of lead and pull trigger and stop . and i have an easy hit bead so i do tend to look at bead and bird .. guess i need to take it off

Edited by Norfolk shooter adam

The reason that people spend money on lessons is to find out WHY they are not shooting very well, quite simple really. Why keep chucking lead down range if your gunfit is that bad you will NEVER shoot well. I know an awful lot of newcomers who had bimbled along oblivious as to why they were missing. 1 lesson with a GOOD Instructor sorted the problem.

Bit like gunfit really, I can vouch for the fact that I have never shot so well as I did, after having my gun 'fitted'. That was in 1979.

Forgot to add that the most common cause for stopping the gun, is looking at the barrels in an attempt to measure the lead. Stare at the target and try NOT to look back at the gun. It is easier to show than explain !

I do see your point but I shoot for fun not competition. I agree that hitting the target is more fun, but for me the general shooting and improving by myself is also part of the fun. Each to their own I suppose.

I would probably improve greatly with professional coaching, but I find generally people at clay grounds, who are waiting for the stand will give you some pointers if you start a conversation with them. This has helped me massively.

I do see your point but I shoot for fun not competition. I agree that hitting the target is more fun, but for me the general shooting and improving by myself is also part of the fun. Each to their own I suppose.

I would probably improve greatly with professional coaching, but I find generally people at clay grounds, who are waiting for the stand will give you some pointers if you start a conversation with them. This has helped me massively.

I am with you on that. I too enjoy muddling along on my own and working it out by myself, I find its all part of the enjoyment, same with my dog training.

I do however ask valued friends (such as Westley) to take a peek at my shooting from time to time especially if I am "having a go" at a new discipline. But I have not and will not ever pay for coaching, not because I am a tight *** or cant afford it I just do not like formal "teaching" situations.

Or just practice a lot.

I dont see why people waste money on lessons, spend the money on clays and cartridges and practice.

An interesting but possibly naive post from a novice. Edited by JDog

Or just practice a lot.

I've not been doing clay shooting for long (as the user name suggests). I started out very poorly hitting about 20/100, had no real idea as to what was wrong,but about 5 shoots after I was hitting about 60-70/100 and improving. I just needed time to adjust to shotguns, all of my other shooting experience was target shooting.

That's why I advised just practice.

So you decided to offer your opinion to a genuine question with "just practice lots"?

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE