Restaurant cancellation policy

dodeer

Ive no idea of your position from a legal standpoint , bur speaking from a personal point of view , if I had caused another person to lose money then I would compensate them , I would at least cover the cost of the food that they had bought for the 20 diners. Personally, my integrity has a higher value than cash.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think lesson to be learned. If you book for a party get those interested to pay before you make the booking. 8 hours cancellation is unusual for a whole group. 100% is a bit steep, maybe make an offer 50-75% remember they are only loosing the profit and their costs. Most restaurants would not have staff full staff costs if the staff were not needed. If it is that popular they were probably able to make up some business with bookings during the day and walk in bookings.

Did you pre-order the food? If not I wouldn't pay a penny unless you agreed a cancellation fee at time of booking, sorry but it's part and parcel of running a restaurant things come up and people cancel.

If you have pre-ordered the food then I think 100% is a bit steep but something should be paid towards it. Alternatively go yourself and pig out on 12 dinners!

That sort of attitude creates wars, bad principles are not part and parcel of anything, the human element has to kick in. I reversed into my plumbers van some years ago, he had been stupid and parked it where I told him not to, I not only paid his bill, but paid for his van, it hurt like hell, but I was morally obliged.

That sort of attitude creates wars, bad principles are not part and parcel of anything, the human element has to kick in. I reversed into my plumbers van some years ago, he had been stupid and parked it where I told him not to, I not only paid his bill, but paid for his van, it hurt like hell, but I was morally obliged.

No, you were legally obliged. The caused the accident and the plumber wasn't even in his car. Your insurance would have paid it because you were liable.

Whilst the OPs situation isn't ideal, he's not necessarily liable to pay 100% of the cost.

1) The restaurant should have taken a deposit (as is their own policy), but did not.

2) should the OP be expected to pay for the 19 other people who also decided not to turn up?

What are the other 19 people saying? If they don't want to pay is the OP going to go and pay for them all? Seems totally unrealistic.

Little wonder we are becoming such a self serving society, morals and doing the right thing seem to have gone out of the window.

I would suggest one is morally obliged to pay.

20x£60 = £1200.

For a lot of people in this country that's a month wages after taxes, and many others it's a lot more.

Surely all 20 people should have made the 25% deposit before hand and would all be losing it.

Is the OP responsible for paying for the other 19 people who didn't turn up?

The way I understand it is the OP offered to enter into a contract with the restaurant the contract was accepted in principle by the restaurant but no contract was formed as no money changed hands ( I am assuming it was not in person and they never shook hands ), if this is so then I would say morally the OP could offer to pay the 25% as a show of good will but he is not obliged to pay anything.

Seems a funny thing to do to cancel like that,

on the other hand, did you read about the group of 'roma's' who had a baptism party in spain, 120 did a runner after paying a 900 quid deposit, then welching on the 2k balance, they started doing the conga out in the street then all ran to their cars.

If the booking was for 12-20 diners at £60 a head, the restaurant is out by at least £720. If any of my friends had asked me to book a meal for them and then half decided they didn't want to go - followed by the remainder saying that they didn't want to go without the rest - I would ask each and every one of them to pay their £60.

I would hope that any friend of mine would have already offered to pay, without being asked. However, any failure to pay would result in them becoming an ex-friend or a relative I would never speak to again.

The OP was unwise to make the booking without nailing down the terms, deposits and firm numbers.

The OP might be able to avoid paying, due to the slack business practice by the restaurant, but at the end of the day, he agreed to give them at least £720 in trade. In the restaurant's shoes, I would be a little unhappy if no money was forthcoming.

So has this been sorted yet to anyone's satisfaction?

:shaun:

Yes it has. I was more interested to see people's opinions.

100% they didn't get because and quite honestly the food wasn't anything different to the normal menu they serve and they do over 100 covers a night easily.

I remember going to a restaurant many years ago for a family sunday roast, it was a split the bill job, if you had just the roast and a drink, it was something like £12 each at the time, but quite a few had a dessert and another drink, I never forget the bill came and when split it came to about £16, a couple of the in-laws sat at the table with their £12 ready, and made such an embarrassing carry on when they realised it was another £4 each, it was the first and last time I bothered with them.

I remember going to a restaurant many years ago for a family sunday roast, it was a split the bill job, if you had just the roast and a drink, it was something like £12 each at the time, but quite a few had a dessert and another drink, I never forget the bill came and when split it came to about £16, a couple of the in-laws sat at the table with their £12 ready, and made such an embarrassing carry on when they realised it was another £4 each, it was the first and last time I bothered with them.

Went on a works do about 30 years ago - with wives / partners. One couple pulled out a calculator when the bill arrived, to check the cost of what they and others had eaten. Never spoken to them since - never will.

Went on a works do about 30 years ago - with wives / partners. One couple pulled out a calculator when the bill arrived, to check the cost of what they and others had eaten. Never spoken to them since - never will.

this was a very similar thing, it was off the scale in terms of small mindedness and cheapness, they had no etiquette or class, they still haven't, I avoid at all times.

the booking was the contract.

I wasn't so sure mate but I did look it up and the Guardian says your spot on.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/money/2002/nov/15/yourrights.legal

" Don't make a booking unless you are absolutely sure you want the table. This is because when you book a table you enter into a legally binding contract with the restaurant. If you change your mind and cancel the booking for any reason whatsoever you are in breach of contract.

The restaurant must make very effort to find other customers to take your place. And this shouldn't be too difficult at this time of year. But if they are unable to do this you could be made to pay the restaurant compensation for their loss of profit on your booking. And if you paid a deposit in advance you will forfeit this automatically whether or not the restaurant finds replacement customers."

Yes it has. I was more interested to see people's opinions.

100% they didn't get because and quite honestly the food wasn't anything different to the normal menu they serve and they do over 100 covers a night easily.

Are we allowed to ask how it was settled and how the other members of your party thought of how it turned out?

Yes I know I'm a nosey ***

:shaun:

the booking was the contract.

And the terms were what? Agreed by both sides? 100% payable, or 25%?

I'd be happy saying the terms were unclear and nothing was agreed.

Some places in London take a credit card to confirm the booking, so you know they're serious about cancellations. The present example doesn't sound so savvy.

Edited by Flashman