How should i proceed?

Red-dot

I just took on a stalking lease on 1st April and the wood sits on a hillside surrounded by open hill sheep grazing. Met the farmer and we instangly clicked and the farmer told us there is a guy "who does the foxes". I have heard rumours this fella is lamping deer at night and i went out tonight and seen quad tyre marks in the track inside my wood. I walked on to footprints and fox paw prints where he had shot a vixen last night.

He has no right to be in the wood but he has probably been doing this for years prior to the new owner buying the woodlands last year. We are going to lock the gate and put a sign up but i think this guy is making a nice earner from his nocturnal activities.

Word in the near by village is he is on the make but how can we stop him?

It's a bit annoying when on the way back to the pickup tonight at 9pm he was just heading out. I know his name and i have his registration and i seen fresh quad tyre tracks and his footprints near fox prints in the mud and there was a dead vixen lying in the farm where we could not miss it.

if he’s only using a quad follow him on foot one night. Its surprising how quick cross country is, you will be easily able to keep up/observe his activities. Its always amazed me how quick being on foot can be compared to driving, I guess lamping foxes is prime example, its amazing the distance a fox travelling an A - B line can achieve when you have to go round by the tracks!!

Might seem obvious but I would be careful following someone round in the dark if they are shooting, accidents can happen, I have been reading the fox club thread lately do you have night vision? I now picture foxes being stalked by special forces pops, if you have or you could borrow some night vision watch from a safe point where he is going and be waiting at his motor when he gets back, or if you know his name find out where he lives or drinks and pass a letter on to him explaining the change in ownership of the wood and how you wouldn't want to have to involve the police over his accidental armed trespass

Edited by Mice!

Explain to him that he no longer has permission to shoot there politely and firmly and that the police will be informed if he continues to do so, after all the law is on your side so why not use it?

New owner should do this, also make it clear to the owner that due to safety concerns it needs to be done asap. Last thing you want is to be in the wood and then hear a shot not knowing where the other person is or what direction that shot was in.... I have turned land down before as there were already X amount of people shooting it. Gets a bit dodgy if you arent the only one out there at a given time.