travel money

Mossyoak77

Evening All

I hope your well,

Im going away in 3 weeks for a driving holiday in the u.s desert states, Where are the best places to go for currency ?

I last used ICE back in 2015 just wondering if I should use post office, m&s etc instead this time

ah right seen travel ex when ive been through the airport, caxton will check that out now cheers

nice one will have a look at that too thanks :good:

looking forward to this trip 3 weeks driving up to utah spending a week there then travelling round nevada & arizona

for the last 2,

Take out a non forex transaction credit card and clear it off when you're back. I use Nationwide for this, no comission, near spot rate, and you don't have to lose a big chunk of cash turning unspent currency back to £s.

Gibby

Check the rates your bank charge for using your card, mine are surprisingly good and the exchange rate varies daily. For the US I get about $50 in cash, then just use my debit card. In all works out slightly better or the same as changing lots of cash this side, just without the hassle.

If you do that though: 1) tell your bank you are state side so they don't freeze your card. (Been there done that) 2) when asked, put your debit card through as a credit card. This can give you a bit of hassle at pay at pump gas stations as it may ask you for the zip code associated with the card (which obviously you won't have). No problems paying at the desk though.

My other option would be a prepaid card. They are easy to top up on the go as well. Last time I used one these guys: https://www.fairfx.com were good.

For carrying cash I've found Kannoo travel one of the most competitive.

I've no experience of prepaid cards but must look at these for the future. This is because using my Visa credit card recently in Singapore, Borneo, Malaysia, I found on return that HSBC , not content with making money on their exchange rate, charged a Foreign Transaction Fee every time I used my card.

Another facility sometimes offered in hotels is a choice of paying local currency or Sterling. I choose sterling. The rate may not be very competitive but when compared withe HSBC rate plus their foreign transaction fee it's a better deal.

We have travelled the States extensively for many years, nothing prebooked, we take an "emergency" $500 cash, get it from the Post Office, usually the best rate for that amount.

I then use ATM machines with my Nationwide Debit Card (no Bank charges) for cash and my Bank Credit Card for large expenditures (no Bank charges ).

There is no need to travel around with loads of cash and in my experience any type of Travellers cheques/prepaid vouchers, etc., are not accepted in out of the way places. If you try to cash them at a Bank they will charge you.

I always take Amex travellers cheques, everywhere takes them. The key thing with travellers cheques is which bank issues them, if the name is familiar and Amex is, its no problem.

but cards are easier than they used to be. At one time exchange rates and transaction fees were a rip off

Edited by Vince Green

I always take Amex travellers cheques, everywhere takes them. The key thing with travellers cheques is which bank issues them, if the name is familiar and Amex is, its no problem.

but cards are easier than they used to be. At one time exchange rates and transaction fees were a rip off

We have always used Amex Travellers cheques. Last time in the states I found more shops gave me the "really" look when I went to pay with them. Next time going down the card route and see how we get on with that.

I find the Postie rates terrible, I use a FairFX pre-loaded currency card for most of the spending and get my cash from either The Cheque Shop or Ramsdens pawnbrokers, both give much better rates than Postman Pat.

In the last 10 years I've only found one place that wouldn't take the Fair-FX card, Kentucky Fried Cat :no:

It works everywhere else including online places like Midway USA, Brownells, Optics Planet and Titan reloading so I can get all my gun stuff shipped to our friends ready to collect :)

Edited by phaedra1106

Not a great fan of these currency cards. How do you give the bus driver a couple of dollars?

Use them to take cash out an ATM like normal.

Fairfx in theory work everywhere that accepts mastercard - I never found anywhere that didn't.